What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Horizons: Inner Sphere - Quest

Honestly what we got now is game changing. Like literally when others find out about our Helicals they will be major efforts to buy/salvage/steal them and refit mechs and tanks with them.
Which is why we may want to push Build the Weapons with our next Economy action. First we flood their market with cheap status quo weapons, then defeat them with our superior weaponry.

Also Mach 20 is 5–6 km/s, so not orbital. But possibly anti-satellite, at least w.r.t. the altitude; aiming is a whole other horse to saddle.

Which is why we may want to push Build the Weapons with our next Economy action. First we flood their market with cheap status quo weapons, then defeat them with our superior weaponry.
Yeah I want to do that eventually with the mech action so we can actual sell and refit our Is using allies without having to hand out lots of our tech to people who cant really use them without major industrial aid from us or where they could end up stolen or looted and failing into the hands of the Houses. Our tech is our primary defense against the IS and unless something major happens they will always have a major numbers advantage on us. That and learning in depth about their tech can help us. Like I hope studying their lasers will let us shrink our lasers or learn how to better cool them so they produce less heat.

Also Mach 20 is 5–6 km/s, so not orbital. But possibly anti-satellite, at least w.r.t. the altitude; aiming is a whole other horse to saddle.
Possibly Van Neuman first, an automated factories that can build us armies and ships, as we still have limits in production

Possibly Van Neuman first, an automated factories that can build us armies and ships, as we still have limits in production
We are getting to the point factory ships could be useful as we send tasks forces farther out but not quite yet. Next three actions?

We are getting to the point factory ships could be useful as we send tasks forces farther out but not quite yet. Next three actions?
It takes time to develop them, we might even be forced to repeat the task if failed, as such it needs to be taken as soon as it is possible. We can always upload a new schematics into them, but the factory ship itself needs to be developed quickly and put to work, even if our fabrication methods are quite advanced, they still do take time, and it's nowhere on the level of Supreme Commander field construction. And we will need a lot of ships, better start making them now. There is more to be made than military ships, we need mining ships, factories, and quite a lot of them, to even meet the requirement for raw materials, and possibly start enclosing our stars into a Dyson sphere for energy. Besides, if our construction is fast enough, we can go for Nicoll Dyson beam as it would be out of context problem for the universe that doesn't even require us to be in target systems and still hit it with equivalent o thousands of nuclear bombs.

It takes time to develop them, we might even be forced to repeat the task if failed, as such it needs to be taken as soon as it is possible. We can always upload a new schematics into them, but the factory ship itself needs to be developed quickly and put to work, even if our fabrication methods are quite advanced, they still do take time, and it's nowhere on the level of Supreme Commander field construction. And we will need a lot of ships, better start making them now. There is more to be made than military ships, we need mining ships, factories, and quite a lot of them, to even meet the requirement for raw materials, and possibly start enclosing our stars into a Dyson sphere for energy. Besides, if our construction is fast enough, we can go for Nicoll Dyson beam as it would be out of context problem for the universe that doesn't even require us to be in target systems and still hit it with equivalent o thousands of nuclear bombs.
You do know how freaking long it takes for a Dyson Swarm to be build, right? And that a Nicoll Dyson Beam makes no bloody sense if you got FTL and the beam itself is lightspeed.

You do know how freaking long it takes for a Dyson Swarm to be build, right? And that a Nicoll Dyson Beam makes no bloody sense if you got FTL and the beam itself is lightspeed.
Yes, but we still need at very minimum to disassemble the few planets to turn them into thousands of warships just to deal with the Inner Sphere, not to mention any endgame you promised. This is no way faster, or at least looks like equally impossible task.

Last edited:
...I am not drunk enough for this. Dyson sphere? Tearing apart planets to make enough ships to deal with inner sphere? You do understand as it stands our navy is the premier fleet of the galaxy right? The clans per unit is probable nastier right now but we can already out produce them and save for the Snow Ravens they can barely use their warships as more than mobile bases. Frankly that is what many of them are. They use slightly updated star league ships without the doctrine that let them work and SLDF ships were big on having huge holds to carry supplies for long patrols or supporting ground invasions. Right now the IS has no warships and can barely build unarmed and armored civilian jumpships and they have a active ban on attacking them because they are so close to the edge of no return. Hell most ships left are held together by tender care and hope by their crews with actual yard time for overhaul a pipe dream. The tech revival they are under going right now or about to really helps but even into the 3050s they are still in mad max mode in many areas.

We are no where near ready to try for dyson spheres and weaponizing them? You do understand if even tried people will laugh then have the people trying committed to mental hospitals right? The shear waste of resources to build a inter stellar genocide device? That's utterly mad.

Edit: well there are assault dropships but the heaviest design would probably barely be able to fight our light craft and even those are very rare. Like the ones they have are to busy covering vital stuff or being used in critical assaults. Even then getting more than 1 to 3 in a fleet is really hard.

Last edited:
Yes, but we still need at very minimum to disassemble the few planets to turn them into thousands of warships just to deal with the Inner Sphere, not to mention any endgame you promised. This is no way faster, or at least looks like equally impossible task.
You are massively overestimating our industrial capabilities. Even with the Von Neumanns, we simply do not have the ability to build any megastructure, or thousands of warships. We do not have replicators or Gray Goo. The fabricators are comparably slow machines, because they use largely mechanical means to move the very physical print head to print everything. A Tablet needs three days to be 'printed' from the ground up, for example.

As for the 'endgame'. This is not Stellaris. The 'crisis' I have planned is not insurmountable.

You are massively overestimating our industrial capabilities. Even with the Von Neumanns, we simply do not have the ability to build any megastructure, or thousands of warships. We do not have replicators or Gray Goo. The fabricators are comparably slow machines, because they use largely mechanical means to move the very physical print head to print everything. A Tablet needs three days to be 'printed' from the ground up, for example.
Fair enough. Not all challenges have to be martial in nature. However, it raises a question what makes us so supernaturally good diplomats able to change minds of people that knew nothing but warfare for several hundred years?

Fair enough. Not all challenges have to be martial in nature. However, it raises a question what makes us so supernaturally good diplomats able to change minds of people that knew nothing but warfare for several hundred years?
Well, for one we didn't have the exposure and expectations of a millennium of warfare shaping our society, cultural norms, economy, infrastructure, …
That doesn't mean the WCDC isn't able or capable to be just as bad, if not worse, than the IS, but we do not carry their baggage. In fact, the best we can do is exfiltrate IS people of interest from the former Circinus Federation and adjacent polities, which does include the Illyrian Palatinate, Lothian League, and if we can swing it Lyran Commonwealth and Free League. These people would need extensive observation so as to gather intelligence as they are exposed to us, their immediate and mediate reaction to our political system, our non-human sophonts, our technology, so that the intelligence community can incorporate this knowledge in their models to how the IS at large will react to us as more about the WCDC gets known.

As far as I can tell, the general perception of us is a new, somewhat strong polity at the rim at best, that may or may not have stumbled upon a Star League cache of tech/weapons (apparently for the IS this is used interchangeable in importance, unlike us). At worst we are a gathering of primitives that managed to topple a lesser rim polity, the pirate harbouring Circinus Federation. Easy pickings for a professional mercenary company or military deployment.
What we actually are is an up-tech polity with non-human sophonts, a strong and (still too much) centralised industrial base, but limited military projection capability.

The only reason we currently can support the long logistics train to the former CF is because we're not engaged in any active military conflicts with a peer polity. As is I don't see us near peer status with any of the other houses, not with scant 3 highly industrialised systems and another 3 in the process of up-teching and industrialisation. I base this mostly on the size of our polity and extrapolation of what I've read and watched about BT, but frankly I don't want to read too much of BT because it's both a big setting, and we're increasingly off-the-rails of the setting; our expectations will colour our planning, and in that regard false intel (OOC BT/IS knowledge) may be worse than no intel.

I'll ignore the whole megastructures since that is outside of the scope of this quest and therefore irrelevant to it, barring IC discovery of such.

Warringer, this will be a weird question, but I want to check my assumptions here: Some of the WCDC deliberations and options are public knowledge, some aren't (defence/military in particular I'd think would be confidential. On the other hand the WCDC is a supranational organisation above the UN, closer to NATO in design. At the same time we as voters are able to influence decisions in economy, diplomacy, research, et cetera. Therefore my base assumption is, that we (voters/players) present the internal deliberations and decisions within the WCDC member nations and worlds, that are (in some capacity) public, negotiated between our 'internal' polities in the upper echelons. Furthermore I assume it's not like the WCDC has absolute power over decisions, but the decisions (votes cast and winning) are the results of what was the outcome between the internal negotiations.
I drew these assumption or conclusions from your narration, but I wanted to have this verified, if you don't mind.

Also, could you drop some information about Growing Horizons? I remember some tidbits from the earlier iterations of the setting, like the Europans being quasi cuttlefish that had a violent technological regression following hiding from Berserkers and now living in the floating cities of fusion reactors in the Europan subglacial oceans, praying to their fusion reactor maintenance AIs. The Turukal I have pegged as dwarf-wombat mixes with a distinct Australian slant, who also fled from Beserkers (of a later extinction cyle/wave). They and the Ormiold, about who I have basically no memory, were discovered on sleeper ships around Saturn, I think, together with some quantity of Quetzal. The Quetzal are also the only of the three (four if you count Europans) whose home system wasn't fully xenocided/abandoned. Going by the implications from the information post on the first page, the Quetzal three-partitioned into Rac'ris'ayl (why does my autocorrect recognise this phrase?), an offshoot of Quetzal, presumable having fled to Beta Hydri during the Berserker campaign? That makes the Aldmoru the …hm, microgravity adapted Quetzal offshoot in 61 Virginis. The Tiaunt are the laser dragons from Beta Hydri, duh.

PS:
While going through the turns, I realised that you initially had set a tech parity date for Hannover, which received the Humanitarian Aid I action, for 2190 (so ~55 turns at the time). That's a rough 260 years of tech progress condensed into 14 years, or a bit less than two decades annually. Will that parity date be affected by Hannover's joining the WCDC?
An in that vein, Pandemonium received the Humanitarian Aid II action, but you didn't mention a parity date. Since Hannover started with 1910s tech and Pandemonium at 1830s my assumption is that Pandemonium will take longer for parity. If we take my my above calculation, then Pandemonium would reach parity around 2200. I assume it will be later, since growth and progress would be exponential regardless, so in general the first few years would take the longer the more of the typical "building tools to building tools" is required (even with industrial scale molecular printers, some stuff is just easier to accomplish with molds, like pouring concrete or steel and such).

Last edited:
We are complete outsiders who come with the open hand of friendliness and gifts. And up until now, we had to deal either with worlds that have backslid technologically and experienced pirate raids, where we have not attacked and even offered out assistance for the defense against pirates. As for the Lothians and Illyrians, while we do appear to be more advanced to them, we also do no look down at them in condensation like the IS as periphery primitives and likewise bear gifts and offers of support and trade.

We have not yet dealt with any of the Successor States in any political/diplomatic arena, only smaller policies who are used to being either raided and/or looked down upon.

Not to mention that our diplomats are used to diverging viewpoints thanks to dealing with several different species over hundreds of individual nations.
Warringer, this will be a weird question, but I want to check my assumptions here: Some of the WCDC deliberations and options are public knowledge, some aren't (defence/military in particular I'd think would be confidential. On the other hand the WCDC is a supranational organisation above the UN, closer to NATO in design. At the same time we as voters are able to influence decisions in economy, diplomacy, research, et cetera. Therefore my base assumption is, that we (voters/players) present the internal deliberations and decisions within the WCDC member nations and worlds, that are (in some capacity) public, negotiated between our 'internal' polities in the upper echelons. Furthermore I assume it's not like the WCDC has absolute power over decisions, but the decisions (votes cast and winning) are the results of what was the outcome between the internal negotiations.
I drew these assumption or conclusions from your narration, but I wanted to have this verified, if you don't mind.
Yes. ICly our decisions are the result of internal negotiations, with possibly some public pressure helping certain decisions along, at least when it comes to diplomacy and military things. The Scientific Side of things, ICly its just the usual way of some things getting funded above others, based on the proposals. The Economic decisions are ICly made by the best economists trying to prepapre the economy for the 'onslought' of the IS economies once they learn about us as possible market (and not realizing that the IS is nowhere near able to do that and that it might be the other way around) and sometimes being asked by the Military to help with setting up productions in a new military-industrial complex. And the Intelligence Agency is doing its own thing, even if they are officially an organizations that does survey work, which they do as well.
Also, could you drop some information about Growing Horizons? I remember some tidbits from the earlier iterations of the setting, like the Europans being quasi cuttlefish that had a violent technological regression following hiding from Berserkers and now living in the floating cities of fusion reactors in the Europan subglacial oceans, praying to their fusion reactor maintenance AIs.
Well, their timeline has changed its been 1.5 million years since they arrived on Europa and todays Europans evolved there and can be considered native. Their fusion reactors and AIs are also the 'latest' crop and their social structire has changed massively over the past 1.5 million years, and even te AIs don't remember why they fled or why they do not like to talk to the outside system. But they did not flee from Berserkers.
The Turukal I have pegged as dwarf-wombat mixes with a distinct Australian slant, who also fled from Beserkers (of a later extinction cyle/wave).
Pretty much.
They and the Ormiold, about who I have basically no memory, were discovered on sleeper ships around Saturn, I think, together with some quantity of Quetzal.
In this instance they were discovered on 846 Lipperta in the Asteroid Belt.

And the Ormiold are actual intelligent dinosaurs, belonging to the Dromaeosauridae family. There is a document abut them.
The Quetzal are also the only of the three (four if you count Europans) whose home system wasn't fully xenocided/abandoned. Going by the implications from the information post on the first page, the Quetzal three-partitioned into Rac'ris'ayl (why does my autocorrect recognise this phrase?), an offshoot of Quetzal, presumable having fled to Beta Hydri during the Berserker campaign? That makes the Aldmoru the …hm, microgravity adapted Quetzal offshoot in 61 Virginis.
That is correct. That there are survivors, is largely due to people fleeing to the hills/the outer system and hiding, whch over 3000 years, the first few hundreds with unknowable hardship, allowed them to survive. Aldmoru means roughtly 'Survivors', when translated from one of their 'ancient' base languages, spoken by a few thousand of those that fled to Sol, though there are connotations of beinf cursed by survival in that word.

The Rac'ris'ayc by contrast are from another survivor fleet that ended up in Beta Hydri, and were the cause of a global thermonuclear war, that plinged the 1980s tech of the Tiaunt into a post-apocalyptic state, itensified by an experiment with something like Heim-Feynman theory that went massively wrong. They literally needed 3000 years to pull themselvesd out from that stage and reach hgiher than their ancestors. Rac'ris'ayc means 'Outcast' in one of the ancient Tiaunt languages and the Rac'ris'ayc are pretty much in a situation that can be compared to that of the Jews on Earth, disliked, not trusted and in many cases the recipiant of progroms, which is why many have managed to set up their own homelands on an insulated archipelago twice the size of the British Isles.
The Tiaunt are the laser dragons from Beta Hydri, duh.
See above.
PS:
While going through the turns, I realised that you initially had set a tech parity date for Hannover, which received the Humanitarian Aid I action, for 2190 (so ~55 turns at the time). That's a rough 260 years of tech progress condensed into 14 years, or a bit less than two decades annually. Will that parity date be affected by Hannover's joining the WCDC?
An in that vein, Pandemonium received the Humanitarian Aid II action, but you didn't mention a parity date. Since Hannover started with 1910s tech and Pandemonium at 1830s my assumption is that Pandemonium will take longer for parity. If we take my my above calculation, then Pandemonium would reach parity around 2200. I assume it will be later, since growth and progress would be exponential regardless, so in general the first few years would take the longer the more of the typical "building tools to building tools" is required (even with industrial scale molecular printers, some stuff is just easier to accomplish with molds, like pouring concrete or steel and such).
Hannover will reach Parity sometime before 3040, now that they are a WCDC member. But they have help in that they never lost their knowledge about advanced technology and needed a large industrial base (including educated workers) to build massive industrial complexes to be able to keep their world habitable by brute force terraforming when it slowly slid into a deep, deep ice age. And even than they had at least a decade where their world was no unlike what we see in Frontpunk. To them, its more or less a case of finally being able to focus on something other than survival and rebuilding their advanced technology, though it will be expanded by WCDC tech.

Pandemonium on the other hand fell hard and they need to learn things, as they forgot a lot. They are also not a WCDC member, though have good relations. To fully reach parity in tech and education to use that technology they will need at least fifty years to properly use their new tech.

Actually I wonder if we could help them with that terraforming? its something we need to look into anyway down the line helping our newest member with their world would benefit all.

Well, for one we didn't have the exposure and expectations of a millennium of warfare shaping our society, cultural norms, economy, infrastructure, …
That doesn't mean the WCDC isn't able or capable to be just as bad, if not worse, than the IS, but we do not carry their baggage. In fact, the best we can do is exfiltrate IS people of interest from the former Circinus Federation and adjacent polities, which does include the Illyrian Palatinate, Lothian League, and if we can swing it Lyran Commonwealth and Free League. These people would need extensive observation so as to gather intelligence as they are exposed to us, their immediate and mediate reaction to our political system, our non-human sophonts, our technology, so that the intelligence community can incorporate this knowledge in their models to how the IS at large will react to us as more about the WCDC gets known.

As far as I can tell, the general perception of us is a new, somewhat strong polity at the rim at best, that may or may not have stumbled upon a Star League cache of tech/weapons (apparently for the IS this is used interchangeable in importance, unlike us). At worst we are a gathering of primitives that managed to topple a lesser rim polity, the pirate harbouring Circinus Federation. Easy pickings for a professional mercenary company or military deployment.
What we actually are is an up-tech polity with non-human sophonts, a strong and (still too much) centralised industrial base, but limited military projection capability.

The only reason we currently can support the long logistics train to the former CF is because we're not engaged in any active military conflicts with a peer polity. As is I don't see us near peer status with any of the other houses, not with scant 3 highly industrialised systems and another 3 in the process of up-teching and industrialisation. I base this mostly on the size of our polity and extrapolation of what I've read and watched about BT, but frankly I don't want to read too much of BT because it's both a big setting, and we're increasingly off-the-rails of the setting; our expectations will colour our planning, and in that regard false intel (OOC BT/IS knowledge) may be worse than no intel.
Which also means we neither change to win militarily nor diplomatically.
Perhaps another reason why to go for tech unlocks, we will at least see more of the quest before the inevitable onslaught.

Which also means we neither change to win militarily nor diplomatically.
Perhaps another reason why to go for tech unlocks, we will at least see more of the quest before the inevitable onslaught.
Honestly you ask a hard nebulous question. We don't know what's coming and we are already going of the canon rails pretty hard. The capellans are dead and probable not coming back. The combine lost even harder than canon and critically lost Theodore Kurita the only guy flexible enough in the right position to save them from the FedCom so in the next war they probable will be finished as a major power. Comstar has over played its hand and all we need do is show our evidence of their crimes and hand the FedCom our version of HPG's and they are finished since the Steiner-Davions know well how evil they can be. That's the big 3 asshole factions who keep the conflicts rolling gone. The clans are under going something that will either change them for the better or at least might push them into the wars of reavings decades early. So they might invade or they might end up big damn heroes the wardens like to pretend they were in canon.

And there is at least one other civilization out there who is probable very nasty we are not seeing that will sooner or later coming crashing in.

As it stands without some major upset by the 3050s the FedCom will be the Star League reborn and the Free Worlds either join willingly or not. Free Worlds at comstar prompting once they know about us will probable be problems because they could really use our tech and coopt our fleets and nascent armies to give them a chance in hell against FedCom or at least a better bargaining position. The FedCom will also want to absorb us or at least our tech but they will be quite busy eating all their neighbors and holding down all those worlds so probable be very diplomatic about it unless we force them to march in. That and spy work. I expect whatever the menace is will start by curbstomping the hell out of the FedCom but i don't know. We are playing this by ear and by turn.

Functionally to me as long as we are a still a cohernt growing nation by the 3070s that can be called a win.

The FedCom will also want to absorb us or at least our tech but they will be quite busy eating all their neighbors and holding down all those worlds so probable be very diplomatic about it unless we force them to march in.
This will end badly.

For the FedCom.

Battletech is a low-FTL-infrastructure/low-transport setting. Even back in the era of the Star League. It is basically "Feudalism in Space!" where the authors didn't get the scope the term 'Space' would imply.

We, on the other tentacle, are a Hard-SF realistic take on an interstellar civilization...and all the industry, infrastructure, and transportation capability this implies. The FedCom is used to the original Star League needing to transfer 20th century-sized divisions to conquer worlds. Even at the max-size of the SLDF, it had only tens of millions of personnel.

Give us ten more years and we will be able to transport tens of billions of soldiers anywhere in the Inner Sphere.

We are not stuck with the FedCom/SL Redux. FedCom/SL Redux is stuck with us.

Honestly you ask a hard nebulous question. We don't know what's coming and we are already going of the canon rails pretty hard. The capellans are dead and probable not coming back. The combine lost even harder than canon and critically lost Theodore Kurita the only guy flexible enough in the right position to save them from the FedCom so in the next war they probable will be finished as a major power. Comstar has over played its hand and all we need do is show our evidence of their crimes and hand the FedCom our version of HPG's and they are finished since the Steiner-Davions know well how evil they can be. That's the big 3 asshole factions who keep the conflicts rolling gone. The clans are under going something that will either change them for the better or at least might push them into the wars of reavings decades early. So they might invade or they might end up big damn heroes the wardens like to pretend they were in canon.
But we are before Clan invasion, not after, aren't we?
Clans will either invade the Inner Sphere as planned (or as canon, rather), or we take their place of the outside threat everyone will fight against (should there be a major war in between clans before Crusader clans even go to IS nd IS learns about our existence*). This might happen regardless of us turning militaristic, or attacking anyone of importance, simply realizing we might have anything they want will be enough.
Comstar also has proven they aren't going to place nice with us either.
Ironically, they are helping us, by not releasing who or what we really are, speaking of "barbarians" but I don't think it is done with any intention to help us.

*it's not possible to hide our existence from the Successor States

Functionally to me as long as we are a still a cohernt growing nation by the 3070s that can be called a win.
That's… ca 40 years or 150 rounds into the future. Narratively I feel like we're past the prologue now, two or three chapters in, more or less, but still in the first act (going by three act structure). When we have met with representatives of the two major IS factions neighbouring us (Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth), then we're entering into the second act, usually.
…I probably should pay attention to the outside news more and make/keep something of a map of how the IS composition changed compared to the original 3025 map, but I can't be bothered to do that, these names are all greek to me.

Edit: Pressed send to early…

Battletech is a low-FTL-infrastructure/low-transport setting. Even back in the era of the Star League. It is basically "Feudalism in Space!" where the authors didn't get the scope the term 'Space' would imply.
Few SF authors do…

On an unrelated note, we may want to send Humanitarian Aid missions/actions to worlds with a relatively developed technology base and probably amenable disposition. The major candidates would be Llyn Ogwen (1980s, representative democracy, 60 ly zone), followed by ANZAC (multi-system polity w/ Woomera & Ohakuna, 1970s + drop/jumpships, democracy, 90ly zone); minor candidates would be Bernstein (1970s, Council of Rabbis), Santa Alvarez (1960s, politically split), maybe Hannover to push them along, but they might appreciate a terraforming action more, if such becomes available.

PPS: Warringer, in the known worlds document are worlds that aren't yet known, I think. Or if they are, you didn't mention them. And if those 14 worlds are the result of the Further Survey rolls of 10+2d20, thence rolled kinda crappy there, was really hoping for at least mediocre rolls.

Last edited:
This will end badly.

For the FedCom.

We, on the other tentacle, are a Hard-SF realistic take on an interstellar civilization...and all the industry, infrastructure, and transportation capability this implies. The FedCom is used to the original Star League needing to transfer 20th century-sized divisions to conquer worlds. Even at the max-size of the SLDF, it had only tens of millions of personnel.

Give us ten more years and we will be able to transport tens of billions of soldiers anywhere in the Inner Sphere.

We are not stuck with the FedCom/SL Redux. FedCom/SL Redux is stuck with us.
… Dude if we were dealing with star league they would bully into orbit nuke us as needed, or even more to stroke their genocide boners, and drop troops by the millions on our head and wreck us. Then they would take all our tech and engineers/scientists. Probable kill all nonhumans or lock them up on reservation and turn us into another territorial state that the lyrans and mariks fight over who gets to loot us more in taxes. Our culture is irrelevant they would force their nobility on us while forcing down our throats how grand star league is and how grateful we should be to be uplifted from being neobarbarians. Go read what they did to the taurians. As is the FedCom only would not do that because most of their leadership are not monsters and are quite busy winning the generational wars finally but they would still do that shit to us in time. We got the semi sane generation and so. After this goes down hill again.

But we are before Clan invasion, not after, aren't we?
Clans will either invade the Inner Sphere as planned (or as canon, rather), or we take their place of the outside threat everyone will fight against (should there be a major war in between clans before Crusader clans even go to IS nd IS learns about our existence*). This might happen regardless of us turning militaristic, or attacking anyone of importance, simply realizing we might have anything they want will be enough.
Comstar also has proven they aren't going to place nice with us either.
Ironically, they are helping us, by not releasing who or what we really are, speaking of "barbarians" but I don't think it is done with any intention to help us.

*it's not possible to hide our existence from the Successor States
We are decades before clan invasion but whatever set us here is also playing with them sending visions and forcing them to ask hard questions of themselves so we don't really know what is going on. Might be a invasion. They might slaughter each other ala wars of reaving like canon to purge perceived taint. We might see a clan or two whole sale move over and try to join us or try to absorb/annihilate us. Comstar? I think they have bluescreened and in desperation are going for old standbys while they try to formulate a plan to deal with us. We are a literal outside context problem they cant casually manipulate from within and have a fully functional tech base and society not wrecked by generations of total war. We are the death of Blakes Vision, or at least the sick twisted version that percolates in the upper ranks while the lower is full of humanitarians, and they have no solution that wont fuck them over harder by the enemies they have already made.

That's… ca 40 years or 150 rounds into the future. Narratively I feel like we're past the prologue now, two or three chapters in, more or less, but still in the first act (going by three act structure). When we have met with representatives of the two major IS factions neighbouring us (Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth), then we're entering into the second act, usually.
…I probably should pay attention to the outside news more and make/keep something of a map of how the IS composition changed compared to the original 3025 map, but I can't be bothered to do that, these names are all greek to me.
I think that meeting will be the first act and end of prologue. So far we are in easy mode but once the houses who actually have the numbers to drown us and recovering industry that can equal or exceed us... Yeah that's when things get fun. The diplo games are going to get interesting to say the least. As for the houses read up on sarna for over view but in practice:

Free worlds can be assholes but are usually to busy falling into civil war to do shit so usually are just the faction there. Full of internal strife's and issues who ever marik happens to be in control at time is usually spending most of his time keeping factions from revolting or turning on each other. Andurian has been particularly successful here were in canon their attempted revolt and assault on the Capellans ended in disasters as a slightly less insane Romeno and damaged confederation kicked their asses before the free worlds forcible reabsorbed them. Their intel service SAFE is a joke except for internal work where they are very damn good because of all the infighting. When we meet them I expect intrigue and incoherency as relations with us becomes just one more jockeying point in between factions. Well those not to busy trying to seduce or threaten us because they really need something to help counter balance the 1 ton gorilla in the room that is the FedCom.

Lyrans commonwealth are the merchants/industrial faction with a fetish for heavy metal, steiner meme scout lance is 4 atlases and all that, and German culture. They also tend to have the most shit military because of generational social general problems. Aka noble/rich assholes who are utter incompetents or corrupt buy their way into power and military rank and then fuck shit up while stuffing their pockets. You can usually how tell how good the Steiner in charge is by how hard they are stomping on the corruption. They tend to kick the shit out of the mariks but they have the combine on their border and those bastards tend to brutalize them. Excellent spy work overall who have pulled of some crazy stuff but when we meet I expect solid attempts at business deals and negotiation to secure borders and trade... That also lets them slip in spies of all kinds and try to let their businesses buy out ours.

They are merging with the Davions federated suns and they have the best overall army is the IS. Better known for epic spec ops troops like the rabid foxes then traditional spy work but what they got is amazing. It was a spy infiltrating to the very top of the capellans government that helped bring them down. English primary culture with Hindu and other influences. They are also the largest house supposedly though a lot of it is chronically underdeveloped and they are to busy holding the borders till recently to try to develop it not helped by fucking pirate raids they also don't have the spare forces to purge keep wrecking stuff.. They have both a autocannon fetish and one for king Arthur type crap. Probable wont see much of them because of distance but they will be interested in us since we are on Lyran border and once they know about our railguns are going to be very interested in acquiring them.

The draconis combine... shit these guys are monsters on one hand glad not on border with and on other wish were so we could kill some. Japanese's obsessed because of the ruling family they take the worst parts and slap on paint of the nicer parts and a overall culture of all humanity shall bow as peasants to the kurita and their samurai and be thankful for it. Look up the worst crap of the Japanese's warring states period and the excesses of the imperial army during ww2. That is the combine and their military. Still there are some truly honorable and noble souls among them but they tend to die horrible at the schemes of the bastards. The best individual fighters in the IS and they have excellent spy craft and terrifyingly good spec ops troops in DEST and literal ninjas. They also only survive because of developer fiat with horrific insane work conditions like 16 to 18 hour factory days and a culture so obsessed with orthodoxy that any deviation spawns instant revolts. Reforms that obviously saved the combine from destruction spawned unending revolts that very nearly destroyed them in canon Which will also kill them here because the guy who did those reforms Theodore Kurita died in this iteration. Without him they cant hope to rebuild or adapt to the FedCom and will probable die in the next ten years as a great power. Almost certainly will not see them outside of spies trying to infiltrate and steal what tech they can to buy time for their people but who knows could get a diplomat trying to get us to side with them. Depends on how the internal factions are going. With the great lose they have suffered and the death of the heir the current Coordinator Takashi could be facing the nasty internal problems and has at least one cousin who would happily commit mass murder to take that throne.

And the dead capellans. A odd mix of Chinese with Russian thrown in. Smallest yet most dense of the great houses. They survived by bloody fanaticism, treachery, and manipulating their neighbors. A caste base culture who was also a meritocracy. You earned citizenship not born with it and wholesale enslave those they captured. Unfortunately the ruling house became increasing insane and also began pulling plots they really should not have tried like trying to replace Hanse Davion with a imposter with help from his dumbass relative trying to grasp power. You do not fuck with Hanse the Fox Davion as you can tell from the fact he Capellans are dead as a faction and only survived canon because of Developer fiat. They had very good spyworks and their death commandos were pretty hardcore. We probably will not deal with them in any form but could see plots by surviving loyalists trying to spark rebellion or at least use us in their plots for vengeance.

Lets see only other big faction is comstar. Think interstellar phone company known for is neutrality and unending humanitarianism. They are also the fucking illuminati. With the religion secretly preached in the upper ranks changing message to them being priest kings over everyone else once they finish bombing the crap out of each other and they have directly helped them do so repeatedly with murdering scientists and engineers and burning libraries and universities. And oh yeah directly provoking at least one succession war with false flag ops. Our existence is a direct threat to them and they are already in trouble because of heavy handed attempts to stop the formation of the FedCom and institutions like the NAIS and discover of memory cores like the Helm Cache which is directly reversing the tech lose and letting the houses rise once more. They are the only faction in the IS with warships but most are in mothballs because of lack of need and shear expense and fact if the houses knew they had them would immediately turn on them. They do have three shit tier frigates to keep some naval tradition going for cadre usage and as last resort black ops hammer but most of the fleet is a decade away and major refitting to be useful. They have a fuck huge potential army in the comguards from mothballed gear from star league era and actually fully functional factories and society on Terra to run them but they are greener than grass and have to be used very carefully or again houses will flip out. Their spywork is legendary among those few to survive encountering. Don't let the fool we met trick you. ROM is very fucking good at its job and it is made up of fanatics. We will encounter them again and it will probable be ugly.

Our best bet is simply handing over evidence of what they tried with us and our version of hpgs to the FedCom and let them do the killing. Only reason they still live is their stranglehold on ftl communications. They lose that they die.

Last edited:
Actually I wonder if we could help them with that terraforming? its something we need to look into anyway down the line helping our newest member with their world would benefit all.
We don't need to help Hannover. They have their planet well in hand by now. 600+ years of hard work will do that. And shape an entire social order to value hard labor for the common good of everyone, while the leaders (read Kaiser) is always held responsible and are all engineers, rather than military men. ;)

As for Comstar and the Clans... *whistles innocently*

… Dude if we were dealing with star league they would bully into orbit nuke us as needed, or even more to stroke their genocide boners, and drop troops by the millions on our head and wreck us. Then they would take all our tech and engineers/scientists. Probable kill all nonhumans or lock them up on reservation and turn us into another territorial state that the lyrans and mariks fight over who gets to loot us more in taxes. Our culture is irrelevant they would force their nobility on us while forcing down our throats how grand star league is and how grateful we should be to be uplifted from being neobarbarians. Go read what they did to the taurians. As is the FedCom only would not do that because most of their leadership are not monsters and are quite busy winning the generational wars finally but they would still do that shit to us in time. We got the semi sane generation and so. After this goes down hill again.
You do not understand. I have no illusions about the Star League. I was talking that if I extrapolate the industrial and tech data about the SLDF from actual sourcebooks then we would have steamrolled the entire Star League if they didn't kill us within 20 years of appearing. We are that fucking OP.

Last edited:
We don't need to help Hannover. They have their planet well in hand by now. 600+ years of hard work will do that. And shape an entire social order to value hard labor for the common good of everyone, while the leaders (read Kaiser) is always held responsible and are all engineers, rather than military men. ;)

As for Comstar and the Clans... *whistles innocently*
Then perhaps learn from them? We near certainly will be doing terraforming or some sort of forming soon and they are the closest experts to it we have. Even if a world sucks for humans any given system can be made habitable for at least one of our species I think.
You do not understand. I have no illusions about the Star League. I was talking that if I extrapolate the industrial and tech data about the SLDF from actual sourcebooks then we would have steamrolled the entire Star League if they didn't kill us within 20 years of appearing. We are that fucking OP.
And I am saying they would not give us those 20 years. The league was very much a all humans under one roof deal and our nature would just set them off harder. How bad depends on when and who but inside a year of meeting us they will try to diplomacy us into joining probable as a territory then they will force the issue and they have the guns and men to make it a forgone conclusion. And yes of course their industry sucks. FASA did good enough work for a DM to take it from there and the nature of their civilization means they cant afford to let many worlds full industrialize or build armies. If every world was allowed full tech base they would not need to listen to nobles a hundred lightyears away so the houses and league kept each other interdependent on everything so no one could get uppity and make it stick.

Turn 33 - Autumn 2182/3032 - Results
Turn 33 - Autumn 2182/3032

WCDC Defense Council:

[] Forwards Operation Base Circinus: - 5 votes active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 87 - Success

As the invasion of Circinus had been finished and the planet pacified and preparations made to help the civilian population, the Defense Council believed that the position of Circinus could potentially be advantageous. It was close to the Inner Sphere and as such could act as a first line of defense against any belligerent powers of the Inner Sphere, as the appearance of Cranston Snord's Irregulars had shown, even if they were more peaceful with the WCDC. Additionally, nearby pirate activity could be relatively easily fought from Circinus and the planet act as a base for anti-piracy operations.

As such it was decided the first of the new Undessa Batallion Landing Craft would be used to carry the 3rd through 7th WCDC Expeditionary Regiment to the planet, where they would be stationed for operations against the remaining worlds of the Circinus Federation and destroy any pirate bases they would encounter.

active for 3 more turns

[] Project Indigo Putter: - 5 votes active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 41 - Success

With the new Patrol Squadrons beginning their patrol through known space and taking care to move to the habited worlds, the problem of the relatively short time a Patrol could remain in a habited system was brought up by several of the diplomats. To alleviate the problem, the Diplomatic Corps was asked to approach the various governments to allow the WCDC to emplace surveillance satellites and Ternary Ansible Nodes within their systems, as to allow the detection of potential pirate attacks and to directly send a patrol to intercept the pirate in question.

The initial reaction to the request was mixed, with the majority of government not enthusiastic about being observed from afar by WCDC surveillance satellites.

active 3 more turns

WCDC Survey Office:

[] Deep Cover Intelligence: active
Time: 10 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 10, Roll 1d100: 93+10 = 103 - Success (Permanent Squadrons)
Roll 2 of 10, Roll 1d100: 62+10 = 73 - Success
Roll 3 of 10, Roll 1d100: 69+10 = 79 - Success
Roll 4 of 10, Roll 1d100: 20+10 = 30 - Failure
Roll 5 of 10, Roll 1d100: 37+10 = 47 - Success
Roll 6 of 10, Roll 1d100: 61+10 = 71 - Success
Roll 7 of 10, Roll 1d100: 31+10 = 41 - Success
Roll 8 of 10, Roll 1d100: 21+10 = 31 - Failure
Roll 9 of 10, Roll 1d100: 86+10 = 91 - Success

The A Ship With A View had finally been able to repair the second Jump Drive Casulty on their journey and continued its journey towards Sol, passing through Ford, Giausar, Loric and Dixie, skirting the border to the Free World League and resulting in some questions from the mercenaries of Jureck's Jaegers, especially Captain Alexander Jureck, their commander. Here, he was told the truth about the security concernes of the ships owners concerning the Inner Sphere and Captain Jureck was mostly satisfied by the explanation.

Around the same time, the recon team got wind of the events unfolding on Circinus and 'attacks of periphery barbarians' on the world through Comstar. Reading between the lines, it was believed that the WCDC had begun to deal with Circinus and that a visit of the planet before returning to the WCDC would be useful, as it might result in intelligence for a potential invasion of the world.

active for 1 more turn

[] Abandoned Settlements: - 6 votes active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 94+10 = 104 - Success (Permanent Squadrons)

With some operations in the Circinus Federation winding down, the WCDCTO approached the Survey Office regarding the abandoned settlements on by now fifteen worlds in known space. They had tried to get people to move and settle on these worlds, but the lack of any information why the worlds had been abandoned was less than helpful in getting new settlers to move to these worlds and set up new colonies.

The Survey Squadrons were grateful for this chance of pace and all but jumped at the chance of doing some survey work and archeology. Of those, the majority was already operating some new advanced space craft modified for survey work and could easily be used to transport surface survey teams to take a detailed look at the settlements and determine why the worlds were abandoned. Or if the settlers had died out, and why.

active for 2 more turns

Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network

[] Real Time Deep Space Signal Intelligence: active
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 40%
Roll 1 of 5, Roll 1d100: 92 - Success
Roll 2 of 5, Roll 1d100: 5 - Failure
Roll 3 of 5, Roll 1d100: 61 - Success
Roll 4 of 5, Roll 1d100: 89 - Success
Roll 5 of 5, Roll 1d100: 61 - Success
Combined: 61 - Success

As the final parts of the Real Time Deep Signal Intelligence Network, the majority spacecraft of the DSSINOO began to ply the space of the Marian Hegemony, slowly seeding their systems with Ternary Ansible Nodes, while the rest emplaced Nodes in several of the border worlds of the Free Worlds League and the Lyran Commonwealth.

This simplified the work at FOB Pine Gap, enabling the technicians and analysts there to react much faster to the situation as it developed. Additionally, the military would already have FTL communications in place, should the need arise to target any of these worlds with military operations.

iPJFdvV.png

Reward: Real Time Data avaiable for Survey and intelligence work

WCDC Diplomatic Corps:

[] Long Range Diplomacy - Illyrian Palatinate: active
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 6, Roll 1d100: 51 - Success
Roll 2 of 6, Roll 1d100: 20 - Failure
Roll 3 of 6, Roll 1d100: 87 - Success
Roll 4 of 6, Roll 1d100: 77 - Success
Roll 5 of 6, Roll 1d100: 41 - Failure

Not fully surprisingly, the Illyrian Government heard about the situation at Circinus and the plan to use WCDC technology and organizations to bring the planet up to a standard closer to the WCDC in technology, medicine and education. This in turn led to a drop in the initial relations with the WCDC diplomats and the government chose to simply ignore the diplomatic party for almost an entire month, before more audibly making their displeasure known.

The diplomats did note Circinus was a world that was by now controlled by the WCDC and in desperate need of the uplift operation, while Illyria and its worlds were relatively wealthy and with fewer problems, compared to Circinus. They even noted the Lothian League had been supplied with modern tanks, but even then only in a conventional business deal.

This explanation had some mollifying result, but the relations had cooled down a little.

active for 1 more turn

[] Circinus Uplift: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 80 - Success
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 28 - Failure

Several spacecraft of the Prometheus Foundation arrived at Circinus, among them a pair of the new advanced transport craft designed to land on a planet, other than their previously used versions. Four of these spacecraft carried the entirety of a Planetary Settlement Kit, ready to be deployed for the use by the people of Circinus.

However, most of the vehicles in the Kits were stolen overnight and in some cases taken apart rapidly enough that they could not be recovered. Other parts of the Kits were stolen as well, while some parts were outright destroyed by mobs of artisans and technicians, fearing that their skills would become obsolete, though it quickly became clear that there were still several operatives of the former Federation Internal Security active throughout the planets' population, attempting to cause uprisings.

Some smaller Fabricators were also stolen and could not be found, with some suspicion falling on other agents of the Internal Service or possibly other operatives, or maybe just ordinary people, hoping to sell the technology somewhere offworld, should the possibility arise.

As a reaction to this initial disaster, General Tiast Kerod Ildunt ordered a higher security for the Planetary Settlement Kits so that they could be set up completely and begin work, especially since he could also make use of the Fabricators.

active for 2 more turns

WCDC Trade Organization:

[] Combat Landing Craft: active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 65%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 90+10 = 100 - Artificial Crit Success (Military-Industrial Complex)
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 53+10 = 63 - Success
Roll 3 0f 3, Roll 1d100: 46+10 = 56 - Success
Combined: 73 - Success

During the final selection process, only a single spacecraft was able to address all specifications given by the Defense Council, the Undessa Batallion Landing Craft, designed by Jav'gret Dockyard of the Empire of Jerat.

The Undessa could carry a full battalion to its target world, consisting of up to 15 heavy or 30 medium vehicles, 6 Mechs, 10 heavy Power Armor and up to 850 battalion personnel. For supplies, it could carry up to 1000 tonnes, from ammunition, over replacement parts to food. Additionally, it was armed with one piece of 205 mm and two 155 mm artillery, as well a vertical launch tubes for 90 MGM-145 ATACMS, allowing the Undessa to support landings under combat conditions with long range artillery, though they could be exchanged for other weaponry as the need arose.

The Jav'gret Dockyards had produced two prototypes, which were immediately put into service to help shuttle additional forces to Circinus as their maiden flights.

Reward: (Roll 1d2) 1 design for Combat Landing Craft

[] Combat Vehicle Development: - 5 votes active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 100+10 = 110 - Crit Success (Military-Industrial Complex)

Following the massive success of the MBT and Mech development program, the Defense Council almost immediately asked for proposals to replace the remaining combat vehicles of the WCDC forces with newer developments. The Invasion of Circinus had shown the existing IFVs, scouts, trucks and artillery vehicles were not fully up to the task.

The reaction from the contractors was almost overwhelming as the Defense Council and their WCDCTO counterparts were flooded with proposals, some useful, some not.

active for 2 more turns

WCDC Office for Science and Development:

[] Superliminal Wave Detector: - 8 votes active
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 55%
Roll 1 of 5, Roll 1d100: 47+10+10 = 67 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)

With the formulation of N Field Theory some time ago, researchers had noted hyperwaves progressed through n-dimensional space with FTL speeds. This made the still largely theoretical Hyperwave transmitter possible, enabling a third form of FTL communication, even though it was limited in speed and bandwidth.

There was another option with hyperwaves, however, theoretical as it might be, the possibility that hyperwaves could be used to measure the transfer of spacecraft in and out of n-dimensional space, be it with Jump Drives or Heim-Feynman Event Generators. It was believed Jump Drives had a much stronger signature, thanks to the amount of energy used to initiate the jump.

With the technology being an enormous boon in the political climate to possibly detect and intercept pirates before they could even become a danger, the project to develop a detector for hyperwaves was given a high priority.

active for 4 more turns

[] Project Blue Danube: - 6 votes active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 75%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 57+10+10 = 77 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)

For some time now whether or not the Heim-Feynman Event Generator would work together with a jump drive in the same space craft had been on the minds of researchers, ever since they had witnessed the jump drive. The potential of this was huge and could lead to much faster travel times between systems. For example, a jumpship could jump instantly between systems, before using its HFEG to move through Heim-Feynman Space to the L1 point of a planet, bypassing the days of flight between a jump point and a world. Additionally, a simple jump ship could be used to transport spacecraft/dropships equipped with a HFEG. For longer distances, a jumpship could jump and then, while its jump drive charged through a reactor, could move through Heim-Feynman Space for the duration and jump again after the jump drive was recharged.

The possibilities were almost endless to help with transport, and, though the researchers tried to ignore it, military applications.

So, to test the viability of combining the two FTL propulsion methods, the two Jumpd Drive Prototype test vehicles Size Isn't Everything and Just Testing and one of the Invader class jumpships recovered from the pirates, No Pirate Life For Me, were given to the research group working on the problem to be equipped with HFEGs and then tested.

active for 2 more turns

Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network Report:

Lothian League:

Grand Mistress Logan, after some lengthy discussion with her government, welcomes using FTL communication and in this instance the Caldran Ansible.

Following up on the signing of a treaty for use of the technology, there is a show made of installing Ansible Nodes on planetary surfaces and supposedly high orbit. This allows us to officially service our Ternary Ansibles in the area, while also increasing the information the Lothians have about the WCDC, helping get them to form closer ties with us.

Result: Lothian League can coordinate better, +10 on diplomatic actions in the Lothian League

Illyrian Palatinate:

There is little of note to say, aside from some movement of mercenary forces towards Reykavis.

Circinus Federation:

More pirate forces arrive at Claymore II, though the number is steadily low, as some pirate bands leave to raid systems of the Free World League.

Marian Hegemony:

There is some movement of military forces in the area of New Venice and Addhara, but as far as we can tell, Comstar is not involved. It seems some form of normal rotation of 'legions' to prevent them from building up a local base.

Inner Sphere:

Lyran Commonwealth:

The Lyran Commonwealth acknowledges the Dutchy of Andurien as a sovereign nation.

Federated Suns:

The Fererated Suns acknowledge the Dutchy of Andurien as a sovereign nation.

Draconis Combine:

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as can be decerned.

Free Worlds League:

There were continued raids of Free Worlds League Military units across the border into the Dutchy of Andurien.

Dutchy of Andurien:

As an answer on the raids on their territory, the Dutchy of Luthien returned the favor in kind, raiding across the border into the Free Worlds League.

As far as we can tell, a Mercenary unit called 'Zeta Battalion' has been employed by the Dutchy of Andurien.

Comstar:

With the availability of more news casts from Comstar, we were able to tell that Comstar appears to tailor its new cast to the area in question, with limited propaganda to induce distrust between the nations of the Inner Sphere.

Expansion and Suggestions:

FOB Pine Gap proved itself to be effective in the previous quarters and it might be a good idea to extend FOB Pine Gap to become an operational hub, as well as give the DSSINOO one or two squadrons of advanced spacecraft to improve their work flow. The Survey Squadron might also be involved to take a closer look at the habitable planet of the system.

Random Event - Pirate Raid at Santa Alvarez

Chance of Intercept - 25%: Roll 1d100: - 20 - Failure

That the current use of Patrols does not always help, including the lack of any FTL communication with the system, is understood, as a Pirate Force, which later arrives at Claymore II, raids the planet of Santa Alvarez. While the nations of the planet do have advanced warning and a single WCDC spacecraft is in orbit, the planetary nations are unable to bring their nuclear weapons to bear on the pirates, as they choose to attack the capital city of Hispanola.

They not only wreak havoc on the city and steal anything that isn't nailed down, but also destroy many governmental installations and kill the entire dictatorial family of the nation in one fell swoop. After leaving the planet, this causes Hispanola to dissolve into a civil war, as several groups seek to replace the previous dictator, not helped by Tejas and Gran Bolivar attempting to interfere.

Result: -5 on diplomatic actions on Santa Alvarez for the next two turns

Event Chain

While the patrol squadrons were unable to intercept the pirate raid on Santa Alvarez, several of the Squadrons detect a lone jump ship of unknown design and origin skirting in and out of known space, using high-powered engines to move in and out of the Jump Points to move closer to inhabited systems. Two dropships accompany the jumpship and fly in formation with the jump ship.

This is of interest, as there are no known jump ships, aside from SLS Belisarius that can move faster than 0.1g under its own power.

Several of the patrol squadrons attempt to communicate with and intercept the jump ships, but not only does the jumpship refuse contact, but it jumps out before the patrol squadrons can get into range.

Last edited:
Turn 34 - Winter 2182/3032
Turn 34 - Winter 2182/3032

WCDC Defense Council:

[] Forwards Operation Base Circinus: active (3 turns)
Following the invasion of Circinus and the need to secure the remaining worlds of the former Circinus Federation, a Forwards Operation Base for WCDC military forces should be set up in the Circinus System. Additionally it might help against possible attacks of pirate/mercenary/other Inner Sphere Forces against Circinus and the other worlds, as well as support any future operations in the area against piracy.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: Forwards Operation Base for Space Forces and Ground Force assets (up to 15 Squadrons & 5 Regiments)

[] Project Indigo Putter: active (3 turns)
Currently the reaction time to pirate attacks on the worlds that are part of the 'Operation Mekong Delta' is rather low, even with the number of active squadrons. As such, the participating planetary governments should be approached to request the emplacement of Ansible Nodes within their systems to improve the reaction time of the Patrol Squadrons. Though the additional diplomatic and economic effects of the Ansible Nodes should be noted, even if these nodes would be primarily of military use.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%, Reward: reaction time to pirate attacks reduced to 5 days, +5 to diplomacy on affected worlds, +5 to external trade with affected worlds

[] Improved System Defense & Forward Operation Base:
While the Raytan Jump Point Defense Stations do their job for system defense, there are ideas how to improve on the system, giving it FTL capabilities, so that they can be emplaced in systems without existing interplanetary infrastructure. Additionally, such a station could potentially act as a mobile Forward Operation Base for offensive operations. Together with the Caldran Ansible, it would also allow the operations command and staff to remain protected bhind the potential front lines. Potentially, such a design might be equipped with the new Jump Drive.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 45%, Reward: New FTL cpable Defensive Station

[] Project Byzantium:
With the successful recovery of the SLS Belisarius it should be a priority to put this large spacecraft back into service and take the time to take a look at its weaponry and other systems, as they are replaced by their WCDC equivalent. This would potentially allow the design of heavy weapon systems, including lasers and kinetics, a vessel of similar size might be equipped with. At the least, it should be possible to determine, whether a massive combat spacecraft of this size makes any sense. At the very least it might be possible to carry a number of dropship collar equipped conventional combat spacecraft to be carried into combat, backed up by a lot of firepower and even act as a Forwards Operations Base.
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Belisarius put into service for the WCDC, new research options for large scale weaponry and large scale combat spacecraft

[] Project Hunter Killer:
Some of the Project Teams have started to think that since there are now AutoWars in the space forces, it might be a good idea to ask AIs whether they would be willing to operate ground combat vehicles and compact mechs of some sort, so that the ground forces can operate on a similar level as the space forces.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: AI controlled ground combat vehicles, 50% chance of specialized compact mechs for use by AIs

[] Operation Tortuga Down:
With a possible new 'Pirate Heaven' building up directly adjacent to Circinus, there is a reason to go out and prevent if from being established in the first place. Additionally, some troops should be sent to the other worlds of the by now possibly former Circinus Federation to occupy them as well and help set up future democratic governments of these worlds. Additional patrols of spacecraft would go a long way to prevent any 'Pirate Heaven' to form.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: All worlds of the Circinus Federation occupied, No piracy in the Circinus Federation, reduced piracy in nearby space

WCDC Survey Office:

[] Deep Cover Intelligence: active (2 turns)
With the Preparations successful, it is time to send the Deep Cover Intelligence mission out into the Inner Sphere and begin trading with the Lyran Commonwealth and the Free Worlds League. And while doing so, gather information about the economy and military of the two Inner Sphere nations. It might also be possible to place some deep cover agents into both nations to gather long term information.
Time: 10 turns, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Information about the Lyran Commonwealth and the Free Worlds League, 75% chance of emplacing an intelligence network

[] Abandoned Settlements: active (2 turns)
The initial Survey has discovered several previously habitated worlds where the initial settlers seem to have died out of left for greener pastures. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a closer look at these worlds and seek for anything the early habitants might have left behind. Maybe it would also be possible to resettle these worlds, if the ecology allows it.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Discovery of 1d10 valuable artifacts, 1d4 of these worlds can be resettled

[] Marian Intelligence:
While the Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network is slowly growing towards the Marian Hegemony, it might be a good idea to start a one off survey of the Marians to get a good image of the capabilities, should they prove to be more belligerent than they currently appear.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: One off information about the Marian Hegemony

[] Further Survey IV:
Following the Initial Survey, more information should be gathered further outside of the Walker Cluster and the already known space.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 65%, Reward: (10+2d20) systems from 60 to 90 ly discovered, followup action allows surveying the remaining space

[] HumInt: (8 turns)
Find a way to emplace HumInt agents into places of interest.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 40%, Reward: A way to insert agents to planets where they can gather human intelligence

[] Network Extension:
The worlds of New St. Andrews and Niops appear to be good cancidates for the extension of the Network.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Network extension into New St. Andrews and Niops

[] Base Operations:
FOB Pine Gap proved itself to be very useful in the previous quarters and it might be a good idea to extend FOB Pine Gap to become an operational hub, as well as give the DSSINOO one or two squadrons of advanced spacecraft to improve their work flow. The Survey Squadron might also be involved to take a closer look at the habitable planet of the system.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Extension of FOB Pine Gap, +5 on DSSINOO operations

WCDC Diplomatic Corps:

[] Long Range Diplomacy - Illyrian Palatinate: active (2 turns)
In the wake of the raids of the Marian Hegemony on thge Palatinate, it might be preferrable to open diplomatic contact to the nation and potentially offer some support.
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: Diplomatic Contact with the Illyrian Palatinate

[] Circinus Uplift: active (3 more turns)
While this is partially an economic situation, helping to uplift the industry and economy of Circinus to be much more independent from other sources is going to help massively in the diplomatic front, improving and possibly speeding up the recovery of the planet from the previous government. It will also hopefully improve future diplomatic relations to any gorvernment that might be able to form during the occupation.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Slow growth of Circinus economy.

[] Charm Offensive IV:
In the wake of the Black Warrior Attack and the fears that are still around in the nearby systems, it would be a good idea to alley their fear.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Better diplomatic relations to the ten known worlds, +5 to diplomatic actions with the ten worlds

[] We need new members:
There are 8 nations in the Three Systems that have declined to become members of the WCDC. The Three Systems can't effort to have some nations working on cross purposes and endanger the entire rest of the Walker Cluster. So there is a need to get them aboard and into the WCDC.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 25%, Reward: 1d6 nations of the 8 nations that declined WCDC membership initially, become WCDC members

[] Invite Others III:
The WCDC was working out nicely and maybe it was time to invite one of the other worlds outside the Three Systems into the WCDC?
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 35%, Reward: The selected world joins the WCDC as a member
Please select a world from the list of Known Habited Worlds neat the Walker Cluster

[] Humanitarian Aid III:
With the formation of the Prometheus Foundation, it would be a shame not to make use of it. As such, it might be advantageous to send out a diplomatic mission to one of the neighboring systems discovered recently, and offer the planet some humanitarian aid. Rumors within the Foundation note they have been able to produce a couple of Planetary Settlement Kits, usually meant to establish new settlements on habitable worlds.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: +10 on diplomatic action on targeted world, targeted world is slowly brought up to a Walker Cluster tech level
Please select a world from the list of Known Habited Worlds neat the Walker Cluster

WCDC Trade Organization:

[] Combat Vehicle Development: active (2 turns)
With the Combined Arms Doctrine continuing to be used, it is time to develop the designs for IFVs, Self Propelled Artillery, High Moblility Vehicles and Armored Logistics Vehicles.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 70%, Reward: Combat Vehicle designs, +5 to ground combat

[] New Settlement Initiative:
The recent attack of the Black Warriors on 61 Virginis has brought the vulnerability of the Three Systems and the WCDC into focus, even if the forces in the system have been able to defeat the invaders. There are also many virgin, uninhabited planets nearby discovered by the initial survey missions. So it is only natural that the Trade Organization should offer a few incentives to send out a few new settlement missions. Perhaps one or two Planetary Settelment Kits for free would do for settling an additional planet or two.
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: 1d4 newly settled planets

[] Heavy Combat Space Craft:
After the success of the previous projects to build light and medium space craft with the new technologies, it is not time to begin with the development of heavy combat space craft to replace the current classes of Bombard type spacecraft
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: One design of a heavy combat spacecraft, 30% chance of a working prototype

[] Von Neuman:
AIs of various stripes have been a fact of life for all nations of the Three Systems for some time now and there had always been ideas of space craft that could reproduce by themselves and to a degree the Planetary Settlement Kits were a version of such a Von Neumann machine. Now, with both the economic and military situation somewhat in the balance, concerning the Inner Sphere, maybe it would be time to make use of the available technology and create fully automated factory space craft that could go into a system, begin mining raw materials from asteroids and then produce just about everything with its fabricators, from shoes over shuttles to combat space craft and even a copy of itself. The military would be interested in such a spacecraft to produce munitions, replacement parts and entire stations.
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 40%, Reward: Design of a Von Neumann Factory Spacecraft, 5% chance of a working prototype

[] Industrial Export:
Some surprising things have come up during historical research, including the Terran Hegemony flooding the Periphery with cheap goods and systems that killed off local suppliers and left worlds in the cold, following the Amaris Crisis and the following Successor Wars. Now some companies believe they could make a profit selling power generation, atmospheric processors, water purification and other similar systems to the worlds and polities surrounding the WCDC. Some even propose to set up factories for these things on other planets and polities. This would certainly improve the economic situation of these worlds, diplomatic contact with them, as well as improve the WCDC economy.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: +10 to external trade with selected world, +10 to diplomacy with selected world
Select a world or polity to export to

[] Interstellar Jump Trader:
There are several large jump ships now available as a base to design a large jump capable trade space craft that would allow carrying dropships and cargo. It might be a good idea to give some incentives to some dock yards to begin with the development of large jump capable vessels that can operate like the jump ships of the Inner Sphere and either use or sell them on the open market of the Inner Sphere, using a conventional jump drive.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: 1d4 Jumpship designs that can be used locally or sold

[] Build the Weapons:
Since the weapons used by the Inner Sphere were successfully reverese engineered, it is not possible to build carbon copies of them and perhaps even build up on them, though mostly for export. Handing the plans over to several arms cpmpanies will allow that they can be sold easily
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%, Reward: Ability to build IS weapons, Options to create upgraded IS weapons, Possibility to sell weapons

[] Build the Technology:
With mechs been taken apart, it might be a possibility that parts for them could be replicated and sold on the open market in the future. Especially Myomer bundles are interesting in thie regard, though WCDC technology allows to make motive materials that are more compact compared to IS Myomer.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Ability to build IS mech components, Options to upgrade IS Mech components, Possibility to sell Mech components

WCDC Office for Science and Development:

[] Superliminal Wave Detector: active (4 turns)
The new N Field Theory tells about the possibility of a form of n-dimensional waves that move at faster than light speeds for a certain distance. It should be possible to build some sort of detector for such waves. Already there are some possible uses for such a detector, such as detecting the use of jump drives over a certain distance. Though how long the distance will be is to be determined. Certainly, it would help detecting the emergance of jump drives inside a solar system and react faster for defensive purposes.
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 55%, Reward: Superluminal wave detector, (10+3d20)ly detection range

[] Project Blue Danube: active (2 turns)
With the construction of the two Advanced Jump Core Prototypes Just Testing and Size Isn't Everything to modern specifications, it might be a good idea to test how the Heim-Feynman Event Generator influences the Jump Core and vica versa, as it would be beneficial to equip a jump ship with a HFE Generator for short range FTL jumps or to move through Heim-Feynman Space while the jump core is charging, speeding up long range FTL travel.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 75%, Reward: In the future jumpships may be equipped with a HFEG based secondary FTL drive

[] Project Heavy Mysterious Mustard:
With the completion of the Jump Drive Project, it might be a good idea whether or not it would be possible to burn some research time to further improve the Jump Drive, Improve the range, materials, allow faster charing from a fusion reactor, this kind of thing.
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 40%, Reward: Improved Jump Drive

----------------------------

2 Action for:

1 Action for:
Economy

Undessa Batallion Landing Craft
Code:
Undessa

Designer: Jav'gret Dockyard (Beta Hydri)
Manufacturer: Varies
Use: Batallion Landing Craft
Type: Military Aerodyne
Mass: 11000 tons
Technology Base: Walker Cluster Mixed
Introduced: XXXX
Cost: 850 million US$
Fuel: 200 tons
Safe Thrust: 3g
Maximum Thrust: 4.5g
Heat Sinks:
    2 Thermal Control Wings á 500m² @ 2500K
    275 Advanced Heatsinks
Structural Integrity: 30
    Single Piece Fabricated (molecular 3D printed) Carbon nanotube reinforced Ti-Al-Fe Alloy frame
Length: 100m
Width: 45m
Height: 30m

Armor
    Nose: 516
    Sides: 435/435
    Aft: 354

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Heavy Vehicle (15)      2 Doors   
    Bay 2:  BattleArmor (10)        1 Door    
    Bay 3:  Cargo (1000.0 tons)     1 Door    
    Bay 4:  Mech (6)                2 Doors   
    Bay 5:  Infantry (Foot) (105)   2 Doors   

Ammunition:
    500 rounds of 205mm Rail Artillery ammunition (2 tons), 
    1000 rounds of 155mm Rail Artillery ammunition (2 tons), 
    3 rounds of MGM-145 ATACMS/90 ammunition (45 tons)

Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 0
Crew:  12 officers, 47 enlisted/non-rated, 3 gunners, 850 company personnel		

Notes: Mounts 135 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:                              Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)                        Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV     ERV   Class       
RW/LW (51 Heat)
1 205mm Rail Artillery              30    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Artillery   
2 155mm Rail Artillery
    155mm Ammo (1000 shots)
    205mm Ammo (500 shots)
3 5MW Laser AMS                     21    1(9)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  AMS         
Aft (90 Heat)
1 MGM-145 ATACMS/90                 90    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Artillery   
    MGM-145 ATACMS/90 Ammo (3 shots)

Equipment:
    Heim-Feynman Event Generator (continous FTL drive)
    Smart Dust Dispenser w/ 100kg of 0.5mm³ Smart Dust
    Small Smart Dust Fabricator (can replenish 100kg of 0.5mm³ Dust in four weeks)
    Maintenance Fabricator (can build the majority of replacement parts and ammo)
    High Bandwidth Laser Communication Suite
    Dropship Collar
    Multiple Distributed Computer Cores for AGI
    Full MASH Compartment
    Field Kitchen
    EW Systems

Back
Top Bottom