What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General isekai & ISOT discussion and resource thread

John Carter of Mars is very clearly isekai by strictest definition. He is In Another World.

We should have more of that. :p

Power fantasy is quite forgivable with some decent worldbuilding and this vicarious feeling of exploration.

Im thinking of a SI/isekai fic were i am dropped into Young Justice verse. I develop memetic powers(actually becoming a paleo -conservative giant crocidile with right wing sorcery). Hilarity ensues. @Baron Steakpuncher
You wrote YJ SI fics before, any tips, cliches to avoid, etc?
Well, as a start don't instantly become friends with everyone. Not being overpowerdly able to beat everyone is a second tip and thirdly I'd advise not going with the "dropped in gotham and found by Batman" as that happens to about 75% of young justice SI's. Hell just not involving the justice league immeadiatley might be an idea to develop the story more rather than heading straight into the big leagues.

Well, as a start don't instantly become friends with everyone. Not being overpowerdly able to beat everyone is a second tip and thirdly I'd advise not going with the "dropped in gotham and found by Batman" as that happens to about 75% of young justice SI's. Hell just not involving the justice league immeadiatley might be an idea to develop the story more rather than heading straight into the big leagues.
I had a idea of being plopped in Bialya and after findings my bearings and adjusting to my reptillian new body, starting a captialist-republic revolutuion, using weaponized memes and summoned memetic right wing warriors. My aim is the overthrow queen bee and rename Bialya Kekistan.

I had a idea of being plopped in Bialya and after findings my bearings and adjusting to my reptillian new body, starting a captialist-republic revolutuion, using weaponized memes and summoned memetic right wing warriors. My aim is the overthrow queen bee and rename Bialya Kekistan.
I'm sorry I asked.

(Also I think Bialiya is a capitalist nation already.)

Hey guys. An idea. For something. So let's pretend that, the SI has your standard powers. Let's say that your SI has your standard competence. Now plop him in the middle of a podunk little village. Maybe a town that's got hit by drought or something. So then, uplift, upgrade, crafting infrastructure with magic and stuff, trying to make it into a working civilization. So... in the end, it becomes a city state.

So then people hear about the city, and then start taking notes. Some protest this. Saying that their secrets will be stolen. Some advocate that they be executed as spies. Some say that, with their power, infrastructure and numbers, they should go forth and conquer other cities.

So in the end, the isekai realizes that, yes, the world outside is pretty goddamned shitty. Crime. War. Injustice. Poverty. Famine. Disease. Plague. Roaming bands of monsters. So he decides.. that he needs to change things. Not by conquering others, cause that's dumb. But by being a source of good.

First he makes a border. All within the border, are citizens forever more. No slaves. All citizens. All will answer to him. Second, each time there is a plague, famine, or natural disaster, he sends people over to help. And each time, he offers to help out others. To let them join. So slowly, ever so slowy, the state grows. No conquest, but its just that people can legitimately see that his state is better run, more advanced, and generally safer.

Of course, there's more to this story. I think I should make it so that he's got a shortage of charisma, so he doesn't really try to do insanely stupid things like convince kings to abdicate or step down. Or has difficulty comprehending the sheer difficulty and poverty of the time he's in. Like, for example, wondering why they don't use metal for their ploughs... then realizing they couldn't afford it. Or chasing after a girl who's been taken by the local lord as a mistress to get her back by force, only for the girl to scream at him because she's finally not hungry and has clothes and a soft bed and how dare he try and ruin her chance to move up in the world? Or, say, wondering why it was such a big deal to ask for more food or extra clothes. Not realizing the drought has come and that peasants don't really have clothes anyway.

Or trying to deal with religion. And that. Yes, these people are dead serious about religion. And yes, they really think that. And yes, you're an atheist, but don't rub it in their faces, because you don't know what they'll do. Or trying to enforce religious harmony, when its a problem, cause of blood feuds, religious persecution, and good old 'burn the infidels'.

Or try to write about how the people deal with it. How does one adjust their way of life, after a drought? How does one's perspective change, after you have someone capable of conjuring water and food, and commanding the weather, on your side? How does one change, when he starts producing aspirin, antibiotics, birth control, antiseptics, and every other modern medicine? How about when he starts talking about setting up a legal system where all are equal under it. How about when he starts talking about things like 'no slaves'?

Sounds interesting. Few Isekais try to seriously deal with those kinds of stuff.

But the question is, would the readers find it engrossing enough to keep reading? I surely do, but it might not be for everyone.

Also, I want people to have radically different standards and ideas of 'prosperity'

Minion no. 1: my Lord, the kingdom is prosperous. No one hungers. No one is sick. No bandits nor demon beast. Your craftsmen and doctors and scholars are the talk of the land. Men travel miles to see our hospitals. Princes bid fortunes for your wonders. The capital is the Shining City on the hill. It is enough"

Isekai:

remembers the artificial intelligence

remember the massive factories and the sheer wealth he saw

remembers the flying cities and skyscrapers

remembers the nanotech vats and internet

"No. No. It is not enough. Full speed ahead"

As someone said before in another thread: from the perspective of a medieval peasant, 21st century America is post scarcity.

Anyway, more things. I'm fairly sure that there were many differences in the way we view sex, gender, marriage, and the like.

Hmm... probably also hygiene. Nudity. Differences in privacy. You may get odd looks if you request a private room, or if you try and live alone. They may think that you're up to no good.

Distinct lack of law and order.

Several useful links:

Idea.

Isekai. High powered.

Not very well adjusted. Not used to the poorness and different culture of a low fantasy world. Lives as a bit of an outcast. Depressed.

Wanders off. Shit happens. Raiders hit the village he's at. Nearly everyone is killed. Except for a precious few.

He saves them.

And gets mad. Very mad.

End result is for him to be Genghis Khan. Magic version.

Oh hey. Wealth disparity between modern 1st world and ancient times. Interesting food for thought.
Hmm, so like those chinese reality TV shows where they throw some city kids (middle class) to the REAL rural places to have them "吃苦". There's supposed to be a bit of morality play going on trying to show how good their urban lives are.

Honestly I don't remember how successful those show were...

Hmm, so like those chinese reality TV shows where they throw some city kids (middle class) to the REAL rural places to have them "吃苦". There's supposed to be a bit of morality play going on trying to show how good their urban lives are.

Honestly I don't remember how successful those show were...
Yeah. But a lot worse

Yeah. But a lot worse
Although keep in mind that too much realism will most likely result in a dead isekaied corpse, although I'm sure lightdreamer (or what's his name...) would love those kinds of stories...

I ain't gonna write any of that though, kinda burned out on the whole genre a while back (and also working on a different project these days).

Edit: didn't even realize I was the one who started this thread when I wondered how I could still edit way after 5 minutes...

Last edited:
Reactions: EiC
Although keep in mind that too much realism will most likely result in a dead isekaied corpse, although I'm sure lightdreamer (or what's his name...) would love those kinds of stories...

I ain't gonna write any of that though, kinda burned out on the whole genre a while back (and also working on a different project these days).

Edit: didn't even realize I was the one who started this thread when I wondered how I could still edit way after 5 minutes...
No it wouldn't. It would end up with mass death as the isekai creates social, political, and economic upheavals to massive for society to withstand.

Remember isekai. Overpowered main characters are a staple

Anyway, anyone thought about writing stories or snippets based on the people's thoughts and feelings, before and after the Isekai came? I mean, take it like China. Before and after industrialization.

No it wouldn't. It would end up with mass death as the isekai creates social, political, and economic upheavals to massive for society to withstand.

Remember isekai. Overpowered main characters are a staple
I was thinking more of like the Martians from War of the Worlds where despite their OP compared to humanity they get ganked by diseases in the end anyways.
Anyway, anyone thought about writing stories or snippets based on the people's thoughts and feelings, before and after the Isekai came? I mean, take it like China. Before and after industrialization.

My story does sort of discuss that, but mostly minor things (and butthurt).

Reactions: EiC
I was thinking more of like the Martians from War of the Worlds where despite their OP compared to humanity they get ganked by diseases in the end anyways.

My story does sort of discuss that, but mostly minor things (and butthurt).
Really? Please elaborate.

Really? Please elaborate.
Well, more like the natives dealing with isekai induced industrial development (and the isekai induced shenanigans, depending on the country and region)... and watching their neighbors failing at it. It does help that some of the characters (mainly dragons and elves) lived long enough to remember the bad old days first hand. Although the later stories are more taking pages out of history of the late 19th and earl 20th century (with, of course, really shitty research).

I don't usually like to toot my own horn (because it looks desperate and delusional) but my isekai story (stories?) are here: https://www.frozenincarbonite.org/threads/the-lost-bureau-and-other-stories-original-fiction.42/

(I mean, it's isekai stories written by someone who hates most of the tropes in the genre, so you know it's going places)

Good lord. An idea. I never knew why I never thought of this before.

Think about it. Nanoha. Dimensiona travel. Dimensional storms. Teleportation. Intelligent devices

A TSAB officer, young, crash lands onto an undeveloped, unadministered world, in a dimensional storm, that's set to dissipate in 10 years. He's, roughly 20ish. Intelligent device. Really good caster, with skills in Belkan, Myedoan, and Midchildan. Though he's more focused on the crafting and building things, with a thing he downloaded into his device that's the equivalent of 'the time traveller's handbook, mildchildan edition". The world he crash lands onto has not yet discovered steel, using only bronze and iron. Think of it like Conan the barbarian. Slavery. Tyranny. Disease. War. Famine. All that shit.

His first instinct was to lay low and keep quiet. Cast silencing and invisibility spells. Stalking around, not drawing attention. The TSAB has many laws against the reveal of magic against a non-magical world. Of officers going off to play uplift. Of teaching magic to people without the proper environment.

Those laws were thrown out the moment he saw a village razed to the ground by raiders and the villagers being put in chains to be sold into slavery. He broke them, took down the raiders, saved the villagers, and helped rebuild their village. He turns to leave... only to be turned back by villagers begging him to say. The raiders will be back, they say. And they will look for revenge. They will die and be tortured to death.

This breaks his oath to not interfere. The TSAB frowns on needlessly disrupting lives on unadministered worlds... and frowns harder on letting needless suffering occur. So he decides. He's not going to stand back and let people suffer. He's going to help these people, and help whoemver he can.

This escalates.

The end of this story would be with him taking over the entire place.

Back
Top Bottom