What's new
Frozen In Carbonite

Welcome to FIC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General isekai & ISOT discussion and resource thread

Lord Kragan

The one and only Lord of Mutton Chops.
Author
An idea that made the rounds around my head is. "Isekai is a mildly frequent thing. Multiple persons from time to time are brought in to other worlds and hailing from multiple worlds. One guy is isekaied, the first for his/her world. And he ends tagging along with a guy that's been around for more time but went for longer." kind of set of contrasts.

Accelerator

Author
An idea:

ISOT into conan the barbarian world. Evil gods. Barbarians. Sorcery. Slavery. Inhuman races. Ancient ruins. Nubile maidens. Kingdoms. Wild tribes. Monstrous animals. Giant tarantulas.

The guy here is isoted into a small town or city, with various powers. Able to do things like build entire walls in minutes, conjure enough food and water to feed thousands, and purify bodies, water, and other substances. Or summon automata and creatures for cheap labour. He has it made, doesn't he?

Except for one thing.

PR.

There's not a lot of magic here. Its rare, and hard to find. What magic there is, involves either magic cast from sanity, powered by human sacrifices, or made via pacts with dark gods. Which, again, require human sacrifices. So sorcerers are feared, hated, regarded with suspicion, or looked upon with horror. Everyone has heard of the story of the evil sorcerer, who captured a princess and tortured her family to death in front of her, collecting the tears she shed for a potion that made him immortal.

Then he sold her into slavery.

Or of Thulsa Doom, who took a thousand orphans and flayed them alive, keeping them alive and writhing using foul magics. He used their pain and agony in a ritual to use as a source of power for his weapon, and used it to annihilate armies until Taramar, a famous warrior and swordsman, cut him down, and put them out of his misery.

And.... so that's the typical story of sorcerers.

And the insert is one.

Ok, no human sacrifice needed. Nothing ghastly. No food that leaves you enslaved to the sorcerer. All perfectly harmless. Sure, it creates darkness, and the automata you summoned has spikes and glowing red eyes, but its just appearance. I'm harmless, really!

Yeah, right. No one believes him. Or at least, doesn't trust him.

All he wants to do is help people! Why are they so scared?

Mark Poe

The majestic cock
Author
For that idea to work (and I think there's actually quite a few isekai already with that premise), the character itself will be the crucial point: it's all too easy to have the protag become a edgy douchebag like so many others.

Sadly, the safest bet would be to make that as a comedy, where the protag is the buttmonkey.

V4Guss

Author
So... I posted this idea over on QQ's SI thread and I've done a bit of developing of it. The idea started out as just being based on the Evil Controller CYOA, but after some work I've expanded it to include nine characters inspired by various other CYOAs:

The Empress

The Vampire Lord

The Alpha Werecreature

The Goblin King

The Arch Succubus

The Witch

The Lich

The Overmind

The Controller

The idea is that these are all Isekaied to a different world or into the past with varying powers. I've been considering a low magic or fairly mundane setting, perhaps even a historical setting that diverges from OTL due to these people's actions due to being an Outside Context Problem. While it was originally intended for the SI to fill the Controller role, I'm debating as to whether or not any other roles would be more interesting or perhaps not even have this as an SI, just various people transported from the modern world and switching between their viewpoints as needed. I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions or feedback.

Last edited:

Kylia Quilor

Hopeless Romantic and Nerd
Author
Suggestions/feedback in what sense? On the basic idea? On where to send them?

V4Guss

Author
Suggestions/feedback in what sense? On the basic idea? On where to send them?
Really, I'm trying to get feedback on what would be the most interesting with the basic premise here.

I think an issue I had with my last story, Unbound Soul, is that the protagonist came off as unsympathetic and this led to a reader drop off. I'm thinking if I present these varied characters with different personality traits, some will be seen as villains and some as heroes.

The only thing I want in where they go is that these Nine result in an Outside Context Problem for the setting which is why I'm thinking a historical setting which would probably be pre-Columbian.

My main issue with a historical setting is when to send them since there are so many interesting points in history that they could end up. All of them would probably end in various places across the Old World, though I might have one or two end up in the New World to cause a surprise for everyone that the American Indians are nowhere near the pushovers they were in OTL due to interference from one or two of the Nine on their side.

As for having Nine Protagonists/Antagonists, the main question is whether or not it would be better to show things from the perspective of all the Nine and switching as needed or if it would be better to focus on one and their interactions. I'm thinking it would be better to switch perspectives to show each's viewpoints, but at the same time it would probably be easier to follow with one viewpoint character.

Last edited:

Accelerator

Author
For that idea to work (and I think there's actually quite a few isekai already with that premise), the character itself will be the crucial point: it's all too easy to have the protag become a edgy douchebag like so many others.

Sadly, the safest bet would be to make that as a comedy, where the protag is the buttmonkey.
Yup.

I'm planning on making either misunderstandings like Tanya the Evil, or have the protag be just too monumentally thick to notice the mood in the room. He can't be upset over people fearing him, cause he doesn't understand fear. No one attacks him, because attacking a sorcerer with his demons in the same room as you is suicide.

Kylia Quilor

Author
Really, I'm trying to get feedback on what would be the most interesting with the basic premise here.

I think an issue I had with my last story, Unbound Soul, is that the protagonist came off as unsympathetic and this led to a reader drop off. I'm thinking if I present these varied characters with different personality traits, some will be seen as villains and some as heroes.

The only thing I want in where they go is that these Nine result in an Outside Context Problem for the setting which is why I'm thinking a historical setting which would probably be pre-Columbian.

My main issue with a historical setting is when to send them since there are so many interesting points in history that they could end up. All of them would probably end in various places across the Old World, though I might have one or two end up in the New World to cause a surprise for everyone that the American Indians are nowhere near the pushovers they were in OTL due to interference from one or two of the Nine on their side.

As for having Nine Protagonists/Antagonists, the main question is whether or not it would be better to show things from the perspective of all the Nine and switching as needed or if it would be better to focus on one and their interactions. I'm thinking it would be better to switch perspectives to show each's viewpoints, but at the same time it would probably be easier to follow with one viewpoint character.
Unsympathetic protagonists are fine, as long as the narrative also treats them as unsympathetic assholes. The problem with unsympathetic protagonists is when they get rewarded or at least, don't get comeuppance.

they all have magical powers or are otherwise inhuman, no? So even a post-Columbian setting would see them as very much Outside Context. It would probably be better to not send them to the past of Earth, though that might be my own take you don't have to agree with. As for nine protags - well, if they're gonna be spread all over the entire world, you can't have 'just' one. If each one is going to be dealing with the specific contexts they drop into, that's nine different stories. One solution would be to stay with one character for several chapters, then move onto the next, in a circular writing pattern, until such time as the various characters actually start interacting with eachother.

V4Guss

Author
Unsympathetic protagonists are fine, as long as the narrative also treats them as unsympathetic assholes. The problem with unsympathetic protagonists is when they get rewarded or at least, don't get comeuppance.
I think this was also a problem I had with Unbound Soul since the protagonist basically destroyed a world and I never got to the point where doing such things ended up having consequences.
It would probably be better to not send them to the past of Earth, though that might be my own take you don't have to agree with.
I'm seeing your point here.

I realized that sending them too far back could have them bumping into things like religious figures which is likely to piss off some one inevitably as interesting as I think it might be to avert the No Such Thing as Wizard Jesus trope. Another issue with a historical setting is that a lot more research would have to be put in to keep things accurate, while going with a more original, mundane, or low magic or low fantasy setting would not require this and would allow the opportunity for world building.

Perhaps a sort of alternate Earth would work well? The geography is much the same and even a few elements might exist that exist in OTL, but overall history and the world in general is unrecognizable for various reasons. Maybe North and South America are untouched by humans completely so there's still some Pliestocene megafauna there around or various other animals never went extinct. Maybe there are other branches of the Home genus survived in this world. I could have something like various major religions that we have now never gained any sort of prominence before the Nine even got there with perhaps various pagan beliefs that went extinct in our world becoming the norm.
As for nine protags - well, if they're gonna be spread all over the entire world, you can't have 'just' one. If each one is going to be dealing with the specific contexts they drop into, that's nine different stories. One solution would be to stay with one character for several chapters, then move onto the next, in a circular writing pattern, until such time as the various characters actually start interacting with eachother.
You're right, this would work much better and give the readers more information.
they all have magical powers or are otherwise inhuman, no? So even a post-Columbian setting would see them as very much Outside Context.
I'm thinking I want the setting to medieval level technology at its highest since I don't want the protagonists to have to immediately deal with someone deciding to get rid of one of them with modern technology while they're still figuring out their powers. Another reason is all of the CYOAs I chose to take inspiration from offer immortality in one way or another so I had planned the story could potentially span centuries, maybe millennia. The story could go from Medieval tech level or earlier to Modern and beyond.

Thanks for your feed back by the way. I've never really tried an Isekai type story in this manner.

Last edited:

Kylia Quilor

Author
I think an Alternate earth with similar geography, or one where history went very different well before the Isekai would be your best bet, yeah.

Kamzil118

Author
There was this isekai idea I had back on SB that is its own original story, but I haven't gotten too far with it due to trying to prevent it from dying to poor decisions.

Originally, it was supposed to be a story about a reverse isekai where a prince of an empire had gotten home and decided to write books about his time in the other world. Most of his experience is being a Soviet soldier on the Eastern Front during WWII.

@Rufus Shinra kinda had a laugh with this by saying Stalin is the demon king while Hitler is a character for the Dark Elves.

Back to the idea I had, it essentially formed into a different story where I intend an emperor to try and get back his lost son from the other world, but due to the lost prince's disconnect from the empire he was born in he kinda loses patience and tries to go back to rejoin the Soviet Union.

Problems arise since said empire is in a middle of a civil war because a conclave of feudal elves doesn't want to have to share the same rights as orcs - one of the races they happily enslaved throughout their history. Due to this civil war, he gets caught up in it and so you have an image of humans in Napoleonic uniforms fighting alongside pike and shot orcs against elvish feudal armies. In the midst of this chaos, someone summons demon armies, invites foreign troops to grab some clay, and open a portal that allows the Third Reich to get its hand on newly acquired raw resources to continue its war against the Allies and the Soviets.

Fun times ahead.

Nerx

Golden Saint from the 22nd Century
Author
Simple, guaranteed Isekai with all of BROB's power in the next life. Then wait on the road for BROB/Truck-kun to arrive 80 mph
Thinking of writing a short Isekai story based on this prompt, besides the Manhattan analogue I am looking for suggestions. Also for some reason I am bored of the typical 'fantasy genre world insert'.