What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Fanfic Rec Thread

Baron Steakpuncher

Proletarian Puncher of Steaks
Author
So i'm posting this thread so that anyone can post their favourite fanfics and/or ask for ones which fit their type.

To start off with i'll be recommending https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/intrepid-worm-au.337516/page-646#post-53568856 (Intrepid) by Cerulean on spacebattles.

Nearing 700,000 words, this is a monster of a fic which manages to create and interesting story dynamic and keep the characters interesting, whilst also adding to the worm universe and creating a whole nother layer of plot. Fair warning though, it does like its deus ex machina's and drags on a bit at times.

(Also if this is the wrong forum could a Mod please move the thread)

Behold, an actually good RWBY fic. With Sunset Shimmer, character development, actual foreshadowing, and better character interaction than canon. And somehow MLP names do a better job of following the RWBY settings naming convention than the OC's in Sarcobites entry.

But seriously, I've just archived binged it and it's great so just read it.

I have complaints.

The whole concept of jumping from different stories has so much potential - and megacrossovers like Admiral Tigerclaw's Sleeping with the Girls, or the Big Steve's Power of a Name, or Shadenight123's Bond Breaker are terribly interesting.

So why is it that Jumpchain stories are almost universally shit?

... Part of it much the same reason that showing the ROB at all shittifies the concept, I think, which is why my OCSI In Another World with JUST MONIKA unlike Touya didn't have Playa meeting ROB God before being reincarnated into another world. However, as the spread of LitRPG fics show, it doesn't matter. Game mechanics, arbitrary solutions, etc., etc., they can still make for an interesting story when properly handled. It's not like Quests can't be great reading experiences with similar controls and demands to be entertained.

So why are Jumpchain stories such shiiit?

... If because a good writer can make good even with a bad concept, recommend to me Jumpchain stories that are not shit, please.

I'm really longing for just some good old multicross stories again.

Last edited:
So why are Jumpchain stories such shiiit?
Because they are generally written not because the author had a neat idea for a story, but because the author wanted cheap masturbation material that they could jerk off to and watch others jerk off to.

Sidenote, your link to Sleeping with the Girls is broken. Pity, really, that story dying meant the end of the one ongoing megacrossover I know of that was actually any good.

...there was one other megacross that I enjoyed, but it's been long enough that I don't know if it's actually a good story - Grand Tour by Drunken Grognard. Short version, Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma One Half gets so lost that he ends up in Star Trek, and his wanderings cause enough damage that the TSAB has to get involved. Things get rather get out of hand from there. It's not a darkfic and I don't remember any major romances, but as I said it's been a while.

Because they are generally written not because the author had a neat idea for a story, but because the author wanted cheap masturbation material that they could jerk off to and watch others jerk off to.

Sidenote, your link to Sleeping with the Girls is broken. Pity, really, that story dying meant the end of the one ongoing megacrossover I know of that was actually any good.

...there was one other megacross that I enjoyed, but it's been long enough that I don't know if it's actually a good story - Grand Tour by Drunken Grognard. Short version, Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma One Half gets so lost that he ends up in Star Trek, and his wanderings cause enough damage that the TSAB has to get involved. Things get rather get out of hand from there. It's not a darkfic and I don't remember any major romances, but as I said it's been a while.
That is the problem. I already read most of these things. :(
(Multicross has been my main fanfic fare ever since Undocumented Features)

That's why I'm desperate enough to dredge the pool looking at jumpfics of all things.

I see. I'd like to help you, but sadly I simply don't know that many multicrosses that are actually worth reading.

I just remembered something that makes JumpChain stories more interesting. Instead of being some rando's wish fulfillment fantasy, have the MC be a previously established character. Preferably one that got the raw end of the deal in their own story.

Like in: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...-get-jumpchain-complete.506789/#post-32903357
wherein it's Buffy that gets put on the JumpChain.

... Man, now I really want to see more of Elizabeth finding a happy ending in another world.

I see. I'd like to help you, but sadly I simply don't know that many multicrosses that are actually worth reading.
All of them are guilty pleasures. :p

I personally didn't like Sleeping with the Girls that much. Yes, protagonist had some specific weakness attached to him other self-inserts simply wouldn't, but that was pretty much it. I was tired of it almost as quickly as I was tired by other jump-chain story. All that work to subvert the expectation, and in the end I only remember the title and nothing else.

I personally didn't like Sleeping with the Girls that much. Yes, protagonist had some specific weakness attached to him other self-inserts simply wouldn't, but that was pretty much it. I was tired of it almost as quickly as I was tired by other jump-chain story. All that work to subvert the expectation, and in the end I only remember the title and nothing else.
True, admittedly. I do think it's good, but even then it's only good for being a self-insert.

True, admittedly. I do think it's good, but even then it's only good for being a self-insert.
I don't think self-inserts are bad in themselves.
There are a few ... cliches? patters? ... typical for a self-insert story I really dislike, but I don't think I dislike self-inserts in principle. It's something for a longer discussion, and perhaps for a different thread...

I don't think self-inserts are bad in themselves.
There are a few ... cliches? patters? ... typical for a self-insert story I really dislike, but I don't think I dislike self-inserts in principle. It's something for a longer discussion, and perhaps for a different thread...
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. The biggest problem I have with SIs is the way that most of them tend to be Mary Sue fics written for the purpose of authoritorial masturbation, with the exceptions generally either going too far in the other direction or being lost in the noise. Mind, those exceptions can be quite rewarding if you can find them, but that is difficult.
Is it weird that I like SI fanfics but have a ridiculously high standard before I want to read them?
Yes it's weird, I'm the same way. I do enjoy SIs, but I can be a bit picky about which ones I'm willing to read.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. The biggest problem I have with SIs is the way that most of them tend to be Mary Sue fics written for the purpose of authoritorial masturbation, with the exceptions generally either going too far in the other direction or being lost in the noise. Mind, those exceptions can be quite rewarding if you can find them, but that is difficult.
I don't think I mind overpowered characters either. Let's have some examples then so the conversation can feel like a recommendation in the same time.

Sometimes, they are necessary...

I do mind though when a character isn't personable or relatable enough...

For example:
This is a fairly good self-insert story despite having overpowered protagonist as it takes a while for the story to develop and the main character still feels fairly personable even the occasional assholish behavior and a few morally questionable actions.

On the other hand, there is this one:
Once again, it's a self-insert, it's even written by the same person and in roughly the same style as the first one, yet I dislike it quite a lot. You can't relate with a protagonist like at all, he doesn't feel like an actual character, and the only thing he does is constantly flexing his powers. There is no development, no build-up, the character is unlikable and unpersonable.

Yes, it is a villain protagonist, but so is the first one.

Relative power doesn't matter that much.

It's more the style and attitude of the story where writer mostly focuses on his character flexing his power against anything that may get in his way, instead of telling an actual story

Some of Todeswind's stuff is fun. I quite enjoyed his Stargate X Dresden Files crossover.

My favourite one has to be his orks in SW, shame he never finished it.

Here are some recommendations from me.

The Wormhole Chronicles fanfictions (Mass Effect + Halo). Written by General Rage, beta'ed by SBer Crow T R0bot.
  1. When There Was a Tomorrow [Part 1 - Completed]
  2. Guilty Sparks [Part 2 - Completed]
  3. Remnants [Part 3 - Ongoing]
  4. The Adventures of the Lucen: The VykurCorp Conspiracy [Side story of Remnants - Ongoing]
  5. Buzzard Buccaneer Radio [Companion story of Remnants - Ongoing]
Tl;dr: A series of interconnected Mass Effect/Halo fanfics that don't end up with pointless wanking and bashery from either side. These stories instead have:
  • Interesting plots
  • Interesting drama/interactions between characters
  • Decent worldbuilding, especially on kig-yar culture and society
  • Actual character development
  • Actual character exploration
  • Likeable and interesting OCs
  • Lack of Idiot Balls
Personally, I think they're some of the few "best ME/Halo crossover fanfics" I've ever read, especially when taking into account at the insane amount of terrible ME/Halo wank-and-stomp fanfics and how it has become the "norm" in FF.net nowadays.

Also, keep in mind that all stories above are beta'ed by Crow T R0bot, except for When There Was a Tomorrow. Because the author at that time didn't look for a beta-reader until he started writing Guilty Sparks.

------

Then there's The Half-Life of Element Zero (Dragon Age: Inquisition + Mass Effect: Andromeda) by GraphiteGirl.

It's about a colonist in cryosleep from the Andromeda Initiative got put into an escape pod and launched from the Hyperion Ark. The pod takes a (seriously) slow trip to Thedas and the premise is set up that Thedas was colonized by members of the Andromeda Initiative over five thousand years ago and then retrograded back to modern society for unknown reasons.

Personally, I really like the fic mainly due to its character development is second to none, plus the character thoughts, dialogue and pacing are seamless and organic. The 3D rendered images, created by an artist who worked together with the author, were added into some of the chapters which helped enhance its storytelling for the readers.

Back
Top Bottom