What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny Pictures and Videos

main-qimg-d24a6a806c8aae53ac90fc2147c575fa

-snip-stupid phone call-snip-
This isn't funny. This is god damn annoying.
One time, ONE GOD DAMN TIME, all the way back in the military I let my buddy use my cell phone, now every once in a while I get a phone call "We have a give away in your area"
No they don't! Its not even the correct part of the country, or even the correct country at times. (I lived in Germany for years)

This isn't funny. This is god damn annoying.
One time, ONE GOD DAMN TIME, all the way back in the military I let my buddy use my cell phone, now every once in a while I get a phone call "We have a give away in your area"
No they don't! Its not even the correct part of the country, or even the correct country at times. (I lived in Germany for years)

Around here, there was a time when they would call on your landline, claiming to be from Microsoft, and something-something about your Windows laptop.
Actually they were just wanting to find out if you had one, so that they could burgle your house and steal it.

When I get sales attempts I do try, sometimes, to have fun with it.
If there is a database out there I am 18-80 years old male that lives in a city between 10 residents to 5 000 000 residents, Living in a single family house or a condominium, in Germany or in Poland.

When they tried to sell me communal garbage disposal I live in the country side, they tried to sell me solar panel for my home, I said the balcony in my flat would not fit that many, they tried to sell me on a diet regiment, I told them I'm 18 year old student, they tried to sell me water park family all season pass I told them my grandchildren are already grown. I'm also either a devote Catholic or a hardened atheist.

Basically you can guess quite quickly who is their target and be the thing most removed from it.

I don't think I ever got such type of calls. Annoying sales attempts, sure, but not these scams.

Because the country you live in is not one where if you have copper plumbing, you might come home to find the external pipes have been removed, and water is spraying everywhere.

... well, not yet anyway.

Because the country you live in is not one where if you have copper plumbing, you might come home to find the external pipes have been removed, and water is spraying everywhere.

... well, not yet anyway.
Doesn't look like we're heading in this direction. Dunno what the people screeching on tik tok are saying, but in the real world? Not so much.

I don't think I ever got such type of calls. Annoying sales attempts, sure, but not these scams.
different countries have to deal with different type of scam calls. Especially in Europe, it's a lot harder for scam callers to get, or compile lists of prospective numbers, will have to deal a lot of cultural and language differences, so have lot less incentives to do it, like Microsoft tech support ones.

Granted there are always some dedicated ones, like Hungarian news was full of very sophisticated scam call centers posing as bank helplines trying to scare people to wire money off their bank accounts to other ones, for "protection" (usual spiel is that your bank account is under attack, bu with your help, we can move it off to a temporary more secure account, but need you cooperation, because 2FA have been a thing since the mid-00s). Which was fun and games until one fine day the Hungarian-Ukrainian-Romanian police held a joint door kicking exercise on a bunch of those.

Doesn't look like we're heading in this direction. Dunno what the people screeching on tik tok are saying, but in the real world? Not so much.

I also don't pay attention to TikTok.

On this specific point, the way to not be like South Africa is to not have businesses that pay money to anyone who brings them scrap copper metal, without asking any questions about how they got it.

different countries have to deal with different type of scam calls. Especially in Europe, it's a lot harder for scam callers to get, or compile lists of prospective numbers, will have to deal a lot of cultural and language differences, so have lot less incentives to do it, like Microsoft tech support ones.

Granted there are always some dedicated ones, like Hungarian news was full of very sophisticated scam call centers posing as bank helplines trying to scare people to wire money off their bank accounts to other ones, for "protection" (usual spiel is that your bank account is under attack, bu with your help, we can move it off to a temporary more secure account, but need you cooperation, because 2FA have been a thing since the mid-00s). Which was fun and games until one fine day the Hungarian-Ukrainian-Romanian police held a joint door kicking exercise on a bunch of those.

Here's a message that showed up in my inbox recently:
1720435481732.png

No, my name isn't Dave.
And if you go to that website I take no responsibility for the results.

Back to some fun:
main-qimg-dd7154cab8c3985075c08968d618f3f2

main-qimg-38b131e54384fae53a986495912c03dd

Last edited:
main-qimg-1a967c0c4edb19f04b069d9d91a95829

main-qimg-48cf566c99227450b69399dc9136dc64

main-qimg-c792bd8efb6f372ee069534d1131f221

Back
Top Bottom