What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun fact about Yamato's 18.1 inch main gun turrets!

Still wrong. Ad hominem requires an attempted annulment of the argument as well as an attack. You only have achieved one leg of the argument and are using it quite falsely. So, ironically, while you attempt to appear educated on fallacies you are showing yourself to be foolish. - Ad Hominem Adjudicator

Thanks comrade, that helps.

SO those are claims, not lies.

First Yahagi was crippled by engine damage but remained floating, if not for the torps she'd have remained floating indefinitely. The torps sank her, though all those bombs probably helped.
I find it highly doubtful a ship could have an engine crippling torpedo hit and stay floating, especially after even only 1 more torpedo. any more then that sounds like a very highly superfluous use of torps.
Torpedo defence is a very specific thing involving the hull design, void spaces and armour belt. In all of those instances Yamato had flaws that were not exhibited by it's peers. The worst part was the armour layout, which is also the most critical part. If it had held she wouldn't have sank, or at least would have absorbed vastly more damage before she did
That's true, but I've seen others say this, but this seems like a conflation of capability. without the weakness yamato would have been much better, but I'm of the opinion that with it's track record it still performed quite admirably in spite of said weakness.
We know Yamato used standard IJN VH armour, we know th ecomposition of that armour from contemporary samples. Now if you think Yamato used different armour by all means show it.
Yamato did not use standard anything. It's armor was researched and developed specifically for the yamato.

First Yahagi was crippled by engine damage but remained floating, if not for the torps she'd have remained floating indefinitely. The torps sank her, though all those bombs probably helped.
Prove that she withstood all six torpedoes, then the seventh one caused her to fatally sink, or retract your claim. She was probably sinking by the 2nd or 3rd torpedo like any cruiser.
Torpedo defence is a very specific thing involving the hull design, void spaces and armour belt. In all of those instances Yamato had flaws that were not exhibited by it's peers. The worst part was the armour layout, which is also the most critical part. If it had held she wouldn't have sank, or at least would have absorbed vastly more damage before she did
South Dakota and Iowa had the exact same TDS layout, and Yamato's TDS never operationally failed, the only torpedo which hit her before Ten Go was by a submarine, and does not imply that EVERY torpedo would cause the joint failure.

We know Yamato used standard IJN VH armour, we know th ecomposition of that armour from contemporary samples. Now if you think Yamato used different armour by all means show it.

The composition is known, the exact plate quality and tweaks on Yamato's plates have NEVER been tested.

now we're getting a debate

Yet there we have it for Yahagi, she lasted two hours after taking that damage so she definitely didn't go down to one hit. Now Yahagi was a modern ship so I think it's reasonable to assume she had the best tech and designs available, but even so she has 10 percent Yamato's mass.

Don't get me wrong, Yamato was a remarkable design, but it wasn't the best design. What you get with Yamato is what you also get with Bismarck, both ships are hyped up but under real analysis a lot of it is hyperbole based on the legend of the vessels rather than the data.

We know that the ships did use VH steel armour and in vast amounts for its main belt , now if it had properties different to the dozens of samples recovered post war this is the first I've heard. Given the epic amounts used and the size of the plates which is a reason they had to use old fashioned techniques I can't really see any evidence for assuming it had superior properties but no other IJN unit used the same formula including later ships.
I mean the back end of the Ise class used steel from the fourth Yamato that was never finished, so that material did get around.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare the bismark to yamato. One is hyped up to be the yamato. the other is the yamato.

Yet there we have it for Yahagi, she lasted two hours after taking that damage so she definitely didn't go down to one hit. Now Yahagi was a modern ship so I think it's reasonable to assume she had the best tech and designs available, but even so she has 10 percent Yamato's mass.

Yahagi was a small sub-par light cruiser with no TDS at all.

It survived the first hit, most cruisers did.

The rest happened very fast in the second wave, and she was already dead before the last torpedoes hit her.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare the bismark to yamato. One is hyped up to be the yamato. the other is the yamato.

I agree, I'm talking more the fact both ships are hugely famous, legendary even, and legends can eclipse truth

Yahagi was a small sub-par light cruiser with no TDS at all.

It survived the first hit, most cruisers did.

The rest happened very fast in the second wave, and she was already dead before the last torpedoes hit her.

Thanks to the actual Celene for that one am I right? She's much better at debating than you are Zeno, but how about you stop trying to look like you know shit and let the grown ups handle this?

But for the record, its a good point.
Though I still question how fast she sank looking through the timings of the waves, the direction of attack and which squadrons went for which targets.

Thanks to the actual Celene for that one am I right? She's much better at debating than you are Zeno, but how about you stop trying to look like you know shit and let the grown ups handle this?

But for the record, its a good point.

Troll.

You'd know right bruv?

Anyway, regards Yahagi the attacks didn't arrive in two or three massive blocks of aircraft with nothing else in the time it took for the next batch to arrive. The aircraft didn't fire all their weapons in five minutes and then leave, they engaged in small groups across the entire period, so Yahagi didn't take one hit, sit for a couple of hours and then take six at once during the second batch of planes coming in.

I mean to expand on it, she doesn't have a great amount of space for defence and yet she did pretty good. SO why didn't Yamato? If a ship with no real torp defence can do pretty good why not a bigger, stronger ship with more mass and far, far more buoyancy?

Ultimately it's Buoyancy that is the big deal here and how best to maintain it, with stability being the secondary effect which ultimately killed Yamato. She didn't sink like Musashi did, she capsized which is quite a bit more concerning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom