What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freedom For Scotland! (Again)

Horton

Cat
Administrator

I haven't read the bill, so if someone wants to correct me, that'd be good.

Thanks Cameron!

As I explained in the past, the story so far goes much like:

Scotland: "We want to discuss leaving. We have been treated very poorly."
England: "Fine. Go for it. You won't leave."
Also England:" Well, shit! We did a fucking terrible job at saying why they should stay, and now they might actually leave! Quick! Let us promise a new era full of concessions and good will!"
Scotland: "Ach, I suppose we can barely stand ye. Now let us work together to build this new era you promised."
England: "Fuck off."
Scotland: "What!?"
England: "We lied to get you to stay. We won't do any of those things. Also, you can never have another referendum, because you had your chance, you listened to a load of bullshit, and no take-backs now that you know your vote was based on lies."
Scotland: "At least we can work together to preserve our place in the EU, as we all know that we are better off together."
England: "Fuck off."
Scotland: "Again, what?"
England: "We decided that your vote doesn't matter, we got a very slim majority of voters to willingly commit economic suicide. Also, we can never have another referendum, because we all had our chance, we listed to a load of bullshit, and no take-backs now that we know that our votes were based on lies."
Scotland: "You lied to us yet again! Over and over again! We would like to have another discussion about leaving. We have a much great cause for grievance after being treated more and more poorly."
England: "We decline to permit this. We told you, you fucked up and believed our lies, now you are stuck in this suicide pact with us. Forever."

Scotland was duped, and now the powers that be will never agree to reopen the matter again, even though the fact that the vote was based on believing those lies, and that those lies make the case to reopen the matter far far stronger.

I hope they get it, because I wanna see what happens with all the military stuff as it has major ties to royal heritage and Scotland no longer has it own royal family or that.

Oooooooooooooooo...! I wonder who gets to keep the Trident as it's stored in Scatland!

I'm a little interested in seeing it happen just because it's not every day you get to see a new country being formed, this time one whose name you already knew. Obviously it'd be a big deal for Scotland, but just how bad would Britain be hurt by it?

Obviously it'd be a big deal for Scotland, but just how bad would Britain be hurt by it?
I know we have quite a few chemical and oil production things up there, so a notable income loss, legal hell will probably follow through as there are a ton of trans-border pipelines and that going on along with companies who are there but doing British tax laws and such. I assume for the first few years, Scotland's independence would be an in name only thing though. Hm, wonder if the NHS would pull out though as I don't think they would be allowed there, or they'll get merged with whatever Scottish equivalent pops up. But yeah, legal hell is what everyone would get. Like Brexit, but worse.

Whoever is selling Braveheart though will make a killing.

I know we have quite a few chemical and oil production things up there, so a notable income loss, legal hell will probably follow through as there are a ton of trans-border pipelines and that going on along with companies who are there but doing British tax laws and such. I assume for the first few years, Scotland's independence would be an in name only thing though. Hm, wonder if the NHS would pull out though as I don't think they would be allowed there, or they'll get merged with whatever Scottish equivalent pops up. But yeah, legal hell is what everyone would get. Like Brexit, but worse.

Other than the first thing that's mostly the implications for Scotland though. From a quick Google I can see that Scotland amounts to about 6% of the UK's GDP, so economically speaking that seems like a tolerable loss. I'd imagine that the bigger loss is to the UK's pride though, and the fact that an anti-Brexit party could point out to the Brexiters "you dun fucked up so much that we literally lost a piece of the country".

I haven't checked up on how Brexit is doing in a while though.

From a quick Google I can see that Scotland amounts to about 6% of the UK's GDP, so economically speaking that seems like a tolerable loss.
Tolerable, but will be notable for what its worth as that would still be "millions upon millions" lost and then more lost through the legal follow up.

I'd imagine that the bigger loss is to the UK's pride though
Possibly, never really talked to people about that, most English people just think the Scots are whiners for the most part, but that's because people like to joke everything up into not a big deal. Pride would probably be the last thing on peoples minds though... Just utter "Uggghhhh! Another political slog down?" would most likely take precedence.

and the fact that an anti-Brexit party could point out to the Brexiters "you dun fucked up so much that we literally lost a piece of the country".
Needless aggravation and a sprinkling of blame shifting all things considered, Scotland was going on about independence long before Brexit. In fact, chances are, if Wales and England get convinced enough that Scotland's independence was caused by the fact they voted overwhelmingly remain... They'd probably just once again, call them whiney babies, some talk about how you lost at your democracy and then a rebuttal of we answered to your demo' with our own yadda yadda... And then English people and Scots go back to flipping each other off. With a few brutal beatings in between.

I haven't checked up on how Brexit is doing in a while though.
Fun is what it is, you get to watch all civil discourse go out the window as incompetence and violence pushers flood the system and make things worse... This is going to take a while to heal and has only just made existing tensions worse.

Tolerable, but will be notable for what its worth as that would still be "millions upon millions" lost and then more lost through the legal follow up.

Possibly, never really talked to people about that, most English people just think the Scots are whiners for the most part, but that's because people like to joke everything up into not a big deal. Pride would probably be the last thing on peoples minds though... Just utter "Uggghhhh! Another political slog down?" would most likely take precedence.

Needless aggravation and a sprinkling of blame shifting all things considered, Scotland was going on about independence long before Brexit. In fact, chances are, if Wales and England get convinced enough that Scotland's independence was caused by the fact they voted overwhelmingly remain... They'd probably just once again, call them whiney babies, some talk about how you lost at your democracy and then a rebuttal of we answered to your demo' with our own yadda yadda... And then English people and Scots go back to flipping each other off. With a few brutal beatings in between.

I'm talking long-term, of course. Short-term we all know it's going to be a political clusterfuck. Obviously there's some degree of emotional investment in the mere possession territory, regardless of what's actually in that territory. But I'm not one to be making predictions about how things are going to go in Europe beyond the obvious.

I'm talking long-term, of course. Short-term we all know it's going to be a political clusterfuck. Obviously there's some degree of emotional investment in the mere possession territory, regardless of what's actually in that territory. But I'm not one to be making predictions about how things are going to go in Europe beyond the obvious.
Stuffy England pretends to be French and throw their noses in the air and sniff loudly.

EU thinks of Scotland as a poor child leaving home for the first time, who also was neglected. Much sympathy and offers of assistance to help Scotland become a real European country.

Rest of the world views Scotland as having the air of respectability from former ties to the Empire, but not being all frumpy like the English.

Number of referenda conducted under false premises?

Too many to count.

Seriously when will the Queen order Farage and his ilk thrown in the tower?

I mean she is over 90. She MUST have some suppressed desire to behave like an absolute monarch at least once?

Ain't there British nukes in Scotland that could, y'know, become Scottish?

NHS is not a single one organization, but the collection of the ones run by the member countries, who run things as they wish/can afford. One example of this was the 2017 Not!Petya ransomware attack, which only hit the badly managed NHS England's computers, while the rest of the NHS-es, where staff were allowed to do their job were unaffected.

In this case NHS Scotland will be continue to work as before, as it's alter ran by the devolved Scottish government.

Ain't there British nukes in Scotland that could, y'know, become Scottish?
I'd imagine the British would move them out during the transition period, but who knows, maybe they'll forget about them.
Depends how the split is handled. It can range from them being moved before the split, to the UK keeping Faslane for years to decades by agreement.

Other than possibly a matter of pure nationalistic principle, Scotland going independent to join the EU could only start to make sense if Brexit keeps a customs union between EU and UK, because while Scotland wants to go with the EU, it ultimately needs the rest of UK a lot more.

I hope they get it, because I wanna see what happens with all the military stuff as it has major ties to royal heritage and Scotland no longer has it own royal family or that.
On a more off-the-wall what-if scenario, I kind of want to see the border moved south to Hadrian's wall and Scotland forming a Celtic Union with Ireland, Northern Ireland, and maybe Mann.

I'd imagine the British would move them out during the transition period, but who knows, maybe they'll forget about them.
Hypothetically even if they did, they would be soon reminded by the world, because of NPT. There's going to a be lot of international pressure for the nukes to go solely with the UK (or whichever successor state to the UK).

I mean the Scots were kinda screwed over here in the aftermath of the Indy refferendum. So that and the scots feelings about Brexit (by and large they don't seem to want it) could lead to them holding a vote and seceeding in the event that Brexit goes down the toilet (which, again, seems likely to happen). But if those two things don't happen I can't see a refferrendum working.

I'm remembering when Trump decided to go to Scotland and congratulate them on voting for Brexit.

Here's a few more just for fun

'Murica says it is #1, but the 'Muricans are shit at cursing and insults. Sad!

#MAGALOL #cantfixbasic

'Murica says it is #1, but the 'Muricans are shit at cursing and insults. Sad!

#MAGALOL #cantfixbasic
Samantha Bee had David Tennant come on her show to read those tweets on the air.

On the one hand, I applaud her calling Melania a feckless cunt.

On the other hand, one does not insult the bagpipes.

I present you, the POTUS:

D8NCV7fXsAU0JRU.jpg

And I present you the... other thing:

D8NCV7iXsAAP6C8.jpg

White tie for men is insanely hard to pull off correctly. There are many very tiny rules, and even if you get them all right you can look quite silly. Even Obama has a few flaws, with his waistcoat peeking out from underneath his tailcoat, and the tailcoat sleeves still covering shirtsleeves (his left cuff is only visible because the arm is extended).

Then there is Trumpie, being almost the complete mess that I was expecting (I expected him to also wear a normal tie at absurd length). Waistcoat is super tight, and while Obama's was just a touch too long, it plunges down nearly a foot past the tailcoat and is likely a more egregious failure than the tailcoat. Speaking of the tailcoat, it is cut to be baggy where the waistcoat was tight, you could hide a small child in the sleeves, and where Obama has a touch too long a sleeve his cover not only shirtsleeve but also wrist. Pants are also baggy and long instead of tapered. So much bad taste. So very much.

I continue to find it amazing how no one can get a fashion consultant to make Trumpie the billionaire (or so he says) look even as good as someone with a net worth of a few thousand dollars. His regular outfit is outdone by millions of poor schlubs who pay a couple of hundred dollars for their entire business-wear outfit, while he...

Back
Top Bottom