What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ethiopia sends army into Tigray region, heavy fighting reported

Alias

Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has ordered a military offensive, after an army base was taken over by forces loyal to the regional government of Tigray.

10,000 plus people have now entered Sudan to get away from the violence. It was 2500 a few hours ago. Ethiopian soldiers are allegedly among those fleeing. Few hundred likely dead on both sides. Possibly higher. International news outlets are very skeptical at the Ethiopian government continued insistence that this will be a quick conflict based on the Tigray government having a quarter of a million strong miltia, a good portion of the military stationed in the north is of the Tigray ethnic group and its reported a good portion of them have defected to the TPLF. Also concerns this will escalate into a country wide civil war, as quite a few groups have issues with the federal government there.

Last edited:
Nearly 15000 refugees in Sudan now.

500 plus people massacred in Mai-Kadra. Uncertainty about who is responsible is being used as propaganda by both sides.

Ethnic Tigrayans being arrested and fired.

What are your suspicions?
Nothing conspiratorial. I mean that from the limited information that I have, I'm wondering if the fighters in the region are receiving arms from terrorist groups and if this is related to terrorist groups such as al Qaeda or those linked with them. Granted, there are a lot of reasons why people would want to fight against the Ethiopian government. I'm just wondering about the arms networks, is all, not necessarily that Ethiopia is fighting against terrorism or anything.

20,000 to 25,000 refugees now in Sudan.

Dozens killed in an attack on a bus in western Ethiopia. Not connected to the current fighting in Tigray but instead believed to be ethnically motivated.

Eritrea attacked with rockets and accusations that Eritrea has attacked TPLF forces.

Also reports that Ethiopia has pulled out 3000 troops from Somalia to redeploy to the north.

Nothing conspiratorial. I mean that from the limited information that I have, I'm wondering if the fighters in the region are receiving arms from terrorist groups and if this is related to terrorist groups such as al Qaeda or those linked with them. Granted, there are a lot of reasons why people would want to fight against the Ethiopian government. I'm just wondering about the arms networks, is all, not necessarily that Ethiopia is fighting against terrorism or anything.
Egypt (and Sudan) are more likely than the Islamic groups.

Ethiopia rejecting meditation as its forces push deeper into Tigray.

36,000 plus refugees in Sudan now. Some of them being refugees from Eritrea. UN is expecting a long insurgency.

UN preparing for over 200,000 refugees in Sudan. Up to 5000 arriving every day. Also concerns that the pressure of hosting refugees might push Sudan over the edge as it is already dealing with a number of crises.

Ethopia is claiming it has captured the Tigray capital.

Basically saying "Mission Accomplished" which I suspect he will regret if a long insurgency happens.

43,000 plus Ethiopian/Eritrean refugees in Sudan now plus the nearly 1 million they already had from other conflicts.

It is good that it ended, aparently.

A tragedy for the victims and the displaced but it could have been so much worse.

Ethopia is claiming it has captured the Tigray capital.

Basically saying "Mission Accomplished" which I suspect he will regret if a long insurgency happens.

43,000 plus Ethiopian/Eritrean refugees in Sudan now plus the nearly 1 million they already had from other conflicts.

I get the feelings someone's following the American's playbook. Insurgency's going to be a thing, which will hurt innocents the most.

Also, my sympathies to the refugees.

Nearly 50,000 refugees in Sudan. Ethiopia believes there is no need for independent investigations into war crimes in the Tigray region.

Investors becoming more leery of investing more into Ethiopia at the moment and likely for the next few months.

UN wants access to areas not under government control. This coming after after a UN team violated government checkpoints, was shot at and arrested.

Back
Top Bottom