What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Economic Liberalism Discussion

Arguments that stupid don't need to be acknowledged.
How can you make someone stop making stupid arguments if you don't engage the points actually being made and instead just rant about how they're advocating for stuff nasty people want to false-flag with?

How can you make someone stop making stupid arguments if you don't engage the points actually being made and instead just rant about how they're advocating for stuff nasty people want to false-flag with?
If you cannot see how fucking stupid you are for equating something like Native Americans having their culture destroyed by being sent to boarding schools where they were beat for speaking their language and the civil rights movement under the umbrella of cultural genocide then you need some fucking help.

Elon Musk's SpaceX wins FCC approval to put 7,000 Starlink Internet satellites into orbit
Federal regulators are allowing entrepreneur Elon Musk to use an expanded range of wireless airwaves for his plan to deliver cheap, high-speed Internet access — from space.

The decision Thursday by the Federal Communications Commission paves the way for SpaceX to build its full network of about 12,000 satellites intended to blanket the earth in wireless Internet access. Proponents say next-generation satellite Internet technology could help developing countries and rural areas connect to economic opportunities currently out of reach for them because they lack competitive Internet access.

"I'm excited to see what these services might promise and what these proposed constellations have to offer," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai. "Our approach to these applications reflects this commission's fundamental approach to encourage the private sector to invest and to innovate and allow market forces to deliver value to American consumers."
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has given entrepreneur Elon Musk's SpaceX approval to launch Internet satellites into orbit. Musk hopes to provide cheap, high-speed Internet access. Hopefully, this works out because having access to the Internet is pretty damn important in the modern world.

It's good that the private sector seems to be getting more involved in space. It might encourage healthy competition and innovation.

It's good that the private sector seems to be getting more involved in space. It might encourage healthy competition and innovation.
Or would allow some asshole to monopolize internet access. I'll never trust corporations, the vast majority of them are damn well psychotic and are more than willing to fuck as many people over as possible within the constraints of the universe to make a quick million.

Elon Musk's SpaceX wins FCC approval to put 7,000 Starlink Internet satellites into orbit

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has given entrepreneur Elon Musk's SpaceX approval to launch Internet satellites into orbit. Musk hopes to provide cheap, high-speed Internet access. Hopefully, this works out because having access to the Internet is pretty damn important in the modern world.

Lol unironically holding up Elon Musk and Space X in TYOL2018

Meanwhile Dems are starting to flock to the Green New Deal bill
Could you blame them, the Dems flocking to the Green New Deal are now seeing that if they don't do something now, then they'll be hung from street lamps soon... never underestimate the human desire to live over dying that is rather common to practically everyone outside of the fanatical.

California's most controversial housing bill to return. Will Newsom support it?
After his fellow Democrats this year killed legislation aimed at increasing housing density near bus and rail lines in California, state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) is vowing to bring back the controversial proposal in 2019 — and looking for support from the new governor.

Wiener's CA SB827 (17R) made national headlines partly because of the far-reaching land use authority it would have given state government on housing.

The bill was attacked by one big-city mayor as a "declaration of war against our neighborhoods," and by a San Francisco supervisor as the looming "Manhattanization" of California cities. Local officials were fiercely opposed, as they did not want to relinquish control over housing growth or lose community input on development proposals.
State Sen. Scott Wiener might reintroduce his SB 287 housing bill during Gavin Newsom's administration in California. Wiener's bill is supposed to allow developers to bypass local zoning restrictions. Hopefully, to encourage dense development in California.

California's most controversial housing bill to return. Will Newsom support it?

State Sen. Scott Wiener might reintroduce his SB 287 housing bill during Gavin Newsom's administration in California. Wiener's bill is supposed to allow developers to bypass local zoning restrictions. Hopefully, to encourage dense development in California.
Given how hardass the NIMBYs are in California? Not a chance. They're a major voter base and thus must be catered to...

Given how hardass the NIMBYs are in California? Not a chance. They're a major voter base and thus must be catered to...
True. NIMBYs are powerful in America's cities. However, the rising cost of living in these cities is making it harder for them to justify the lack of construction for new housing and municipal and state governments in the country have passed pro-development policies recently.

True. NIMBYs are powerful in America's cities. However, the rising cost of living in these cities is making it harder for them to justify the lack of construction for new housing and municipal and state governments in the country have passed pro-development policies recently.
However they'll fight back as hard as they can, and they'll be catered to because of how powerful they are in politics. Until you literally break the back of the NIMBYs in terms of political power, they'll be a major thorn on your side at best, problematic at worst.

NIMBY is a dumb term because it implies that construction is always good

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if you two were big fans of the Amazon HQ and oil pipelines but these are not the same thing as affordable public housing

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if you two were big fans of the Amazon HQ and oil pipelines but these are not the same thing as affordable public housing
No, it implies that these people's only reason for opposing it is that it'd affect them, personally. It's an accusation of selfishness, not anti-construction attitudes.

It's an anti-(whatever pet thing the NIMBY in question hates) thing, not an anti-construction thing.

It's about development specifically.
Not In My Backyard. That's what the acronym means. Should be pretty clear that it's referring to people who's opposition to it stems from personal proximity rather than actually opposing the existence of the development.

Aaron Fox, can you explain this? Rodyle's refusal to expose themselves to opposing views caused them to block me, so I'm not getting anything through to the willfully ignorant example of extreme sectarianism.

NIMBY is 'Not In My Back Yard', and is a general "I don't want [insert objectionable thing here, be nuclear power plant or mental hospital] anywhere near me!" political stance, and a very powerful one at that.
Yes I know what it is.

Oregon Takes 1st Major Step Toward Legalizing Psychedelic Mushrooms
Oregon's attorney general has approved language for a ballot measure to make psychedelic mushrooms legal.

The measure would reduce criminal penalties for the manufacture, delivery and possession of psilocybin — the hallucinogen contained in psychedelic mushrooms.

In a tweet, the Oregon Psilocybin Society said it will start gathering the 140,000 necessary signatures in December, to get the measure onto the ballot in 2020.
Oregon's attorney general has granted approving language for a ballot measure to make psychedelic mushrooms legal in the state.

This is a surprise for drug liberalization. Thought people are putting all of their effort on marijuana.

In reversal, Representative Joe Kennedy calls for marijuana legalization nationwide
On the day the first two state-sanctioned recreational pot shops opened their doors in Massachusetts, Representative Joseph Kennedy III came out in favor of legalizing marijuana at the federal level, reversing his previous opposition to it.

"Our federal policy on marijuana is badly broken," Kennedy wrote in an opinion piece for STATannouncing his change of heart.

"Given the rapid pace of state-level legalization and liberalization, I believe we must implement strong, clear, and fair federal guidelines. To do that requires us to remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and legalize it at the federal level," he said.

Rep. Joseph Kennedy III recently came out to support legalizing marijuana on the federal level. This gives me hope for drug liberalization if the Democrats take over the government.

I hope Democrats go full force on legalizing/decriminalizing drugs in the United States. The Drug War is a waste of billions of dollars and hurts many Americans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom