What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Economic Liberalism Discussion

He kinda is a strawman with one or two soundbites on auto-repeat. You know me and my 'undying love' for megacorps, right? He makes me look like 40kninjas in our 'discussions'.
The only difference between ChapoTrapHouse and cocaine sold by El Chapo, is that the first is legal.

I don't know where to put this so I'll leave it here - changes in SWIFT transactions currency usage from 2015 to 2017. It really surprised me:
USD fell from 43.89% to 39.85% and EUR role increased from 29.39% to 35.66%. USD is still leading, but if the trend continues, it would be very interesting to see the 2018 numbers (which I didn't find).

ArzsoVh.jpg

Source: RMB internationalisation: Where we are and what we can expect in 2018 (by SWIFT), page 9.
No overtake for the moment.

The Pound lost 15 percent of its pre-Brexit share in international exchanges, because it is making UK increasingly irrelevant as the Brexiters wanted to be (that's what you get when you base your economic policy on the Daily Mail) while the Euro and Dollar seem to stabilize around 34 % and 40 % respectively.

The Pound lost 15 percent of its pre-Brexit share in international exchanges, because it is making UK increasingly irrelevant as the Brexiters wanted to be (that's what you get when you base your economic policy on the Daily Mail) while the Euro and Dollar seem to stabilize around 34 % and 40 % respectively.
If we get a No Deal Brexit, you can expect the Euro to lose a few percents, probably go back to under 30% with the US Dollars climbing a little.

Maybe... means we'll have to annex UK sooner than planned.
I mean, that's the consequences of a slower economic activity, not helped that we'll be busy trying to untangle the mess at British-EU border. Even then, just the loss of London as a financial center will hurt our ability to deal internationally. At least in the short to medium run until things on the continent stabilizes/get used to the new status quo.

May's "deal" would hurt the UK even more than a no deal.

How did she even get in charge again?

Nah. A no-deal would be way, way worse for UK as it would make it utterly dependent on the goodwill of the rest of the Big Powers and would lead to the necessity of accepting fucked-up trade deals from the US and China while at the same time seeing a large part of the British industry shot in the gut through the loss of its logistics chain. At least, with the deal, UK's economy still works.

Nah. A no-deal would be way, way worse for UK as it would make it utterly dependent on the goodwill of the rest of the Big Powers and would lead to the necessity of accepting fucked-up trade deals from the US and China while at the same time seeing a large part of the British industry shot in the gut through the loss of its logistics chain. At least, with the deal, UK's economy still works.

Except for the whole "throwing money to people and getting kicked in the dick" part of it.

She was the last woman standing because the Tory party went knifing each other in the back after the referendum. She then made the great decision to put the Brexiteers in charge, and now they have borne hollow fruit.

Except for the whole "throwing money to people and getting kicked in the dick" part of it.
Ah, yes, but the EU was acting very nice despite being kicked in the dick by UK and literally called Nazis after giving it numerous rebates and economic/political/financial advantages over the other member states. Now, in Farage-world and the Daily Mail dimension, it might be somewhat different, maybe even the other way around, but we're not living in either.

Considering how all the big businesses all flocked to bolsonaro at Davis...
Okay, what about the 99.999% of businesses worth under a billion? Big multinational corporations want to have hellholes they can scalp for unreasonable amounts of profit, what about non-multinational corporations or smaller ones that do things which don't really have an option for scalping the global poor? How is this a damning condemnation of Capitalism in general instead of just an example of how the current implementations are fucked? What you're going after is literally the anti-globalist position's primary justification for rampant protectionism and dragging countries towards self-sufficiency regardless of business interest protests.

Yeah see problem is some (rich) people want to see the stuff unbanned and we're approaching a point where the rich get richer whilst noone else does. And if it implodes again it won't be pretty.
Yes, some rich people. Not all of them, Elon Musk's hat is pretty much trying to usher in post-scarcity so people genuinely don't need to work, starting up businesses who's profit is for the sake of funding the needed development. And we're actually pretty far from the point where only the rich get richer, since we're pretty close to a few more big leaps in technology and science while there's much of Africa still waiting on getting local industrialization and food security, something the Chinese are rather willing to arrange.

with the US Dollars climbing a little.
Unlikely at first. They will be affected, on a smaller level but still...

No it won't. Basically, without a deal, the UK won't be able to maneuver in international trade without getting f- by pretty much everyone. See the proposed "requirements" for a trade deal between the US and the UK for example. What 99% of Brexiters don't understand is the very real fact that the EU is behaving way nicer than anyone else in its relationship with the UK. May knows it, but the rest apparently doesn't. This agreement is waayyy better than anything the UK would get from the US or anyone else in the world.

Yes, some rich people. Not all of them, Elon Musk's hat is pretty much trying to usher in post-scarcity so people genuinely don't need to work, starting up businesses who's profit is for the sake of funding the needed development.
More precisely, Musk has excellent PR and portrays himself as Tony Stark while being pretty much an ass behind doors and pushing a colossal turnover in his companies due to exhaustion of his employees all the while benefitting from huge governmental subsidies for his working stuff (SpaceX) or fucking up hard at quality control for his other company (Tesla) that is incredibly and absurdly overvalued (compare the stock value of his company to other car companies and then compare the number of vehicles sold, while other car companies' products do not have such QC fuck-ups as the Tesla and are profitable) when he applies IT start-up doctrine to a car company trying to push something bugged and fix it afterwards.

Musk is, in short, going full-on in embracing the two myths of the Great Man theory and the Magics of Technology according to which more tech makes everything better. It's doubly funny when his cars that might become kinda profitable in a niche are being caught up by everyone else with mature products and he is building huge factories to produce a kind of battery that is quicky becoming obsolete (check the solid-state batteries that the Li-Ion battery inventor managed to create a couple of years ago, they put the Tesla's batteries to shame). In the end, though, his fan-club is cult-sounding most of the time and fits very well with people who are awed with technology without knowing much about it.

So the Brexit situation is not looking good. It's like every Brexit deal is bad. Can't the UK government and the people just admit that Brexit was a mistake?

I do believe the lad was slightly sarcastic. I hope so, the alternative is too horrible to comprehend.

The thing is, she didn't put brexiters in charge. She put hardcore remainers in charge.

Ha ha! No. The government wants to remain in position and the Brexiters seem to still believe that Britannia rules the waves and the world.

Not like the EU is helping much at all with their constant bullshit laws and regulations recently.

So the Brexit situation is not looking good. It's like every Brexit deal is bad. Can't the UK government and the people just admit that Brexit was a mistake?
The parliament could unilaterally call it off if they wanted; the referendum was not binding and the parliament is the sovereign power in the UK, while the EU explicitly ruled that such a move would not involve other member states. The MPs don't seem too likely to do that, though, largely because on an individual level, it could risk political suicide for them. In choosing between good for the country or good for their careers, almost all politicians would go for the latter.

Not like the EU is helping much at all with their constant bullshit laws and regulations recently.
You mean the real world's laws and regulations made with the consent of all governments involved, by representatives of said governments, and that are designed to merge within the legal systems of the member countries? Or do you mean the Farage-world's and Daily Mail dimension's laws and regulations that supposedly come from illegitimate technocrats to annoy everybody?
The thing is, she didn't put brexiters in charge. She put hardcore remainers in charge.
Boris Johnson the hardcore remainer. LOL!

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about... x)
But he probably watched two Youtube videos and read half a dozen Reddit posts that get great Daily Mail / Breitbart sources! What's the worth of either of us' collection of actual books on European legislation and administration compared to this?

Boris Johnson the hardcore remainer. LOL!

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about... x)
You mean the real world's laws and regulations made with the consent of all governments involved, by representatives of said governments, and that are designed to merge within the legal systems of the member countries? Or do you mean the Farage-world's and Daily Mail dimension's laws and regulations that supposedly come from illegitimate technocrats to annoy everybody?

I don't think you two actually knows how the EU works, even in spite of living in it. You seem to be under the mistaken idea that you can actually control who's in power there and what laws they want.

Tell me, do you vote for parties or people? Because you can't hold parties accountable.

Under this criteria, Donald Trump is a hardcore Democrat. Just saying. :)

I don't think you two actually knows how the EU works, even in spite of living in it. You seem to be under the mistaken idea that you can actually control who's in power there and what laws they want.

Tell me, do you vote for parties or people? Because you can't hold parties accountable.
Oh, that's cute, again the same falsehoods and nonsense about Article 13 by someone who has no fucking idea of how the Union actually works. Thank you for illustrating my previous post perfectly: you base your ignorance on blog posts from lobbying/propaganda sources while @Arius and I... well, see... "French and European Public Law", "Oxford Handbook of Comparative Law", "Public Law", "Social Policies", "Great Precedents of Administrative Law", "Special Penal Law"...

And that's just a fraction of the books I have at hand at this very instant. Got a suitcase of similar books, and then there's the family library.

Because we actually know our shit, while you peddle shit for the only reason it fits your prejudices. Bloody amateur.

Back
Top Bottom