What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earth Is Contacted By an Alien Empire (Thought Experiment)

Do you Vote to Join the Empire?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
The uncontacted tribe would not be able to initially guess the concept of having MRBM or radioactive waste, and we have no idea what kind of stuff they have or need to set up there. Maybe their FTL is based on psychic draining generators that suck the soul out of thinking beings? I'm throwing things at the wall, but it's to give you examples of things we do not know.
Got it, that makes more sense.

It's in how they present the information, @Skeletickles. They may be much more advanced than us, but the way they think, the issues that they find important to address will tell us things about themselves. It's a bit like a profiler building a profile. It may not be 100% accurate, but it gives us a baseline on the Lagitie themselves, at the very least.

Again, what would that achieve? Sure, we might learn a few things, but unless they REALLY fuck up, they wouldn't reveal anything that contradicts what they've already said.

Everything they refuse to show us is information in and by itself. I will show you a bit of OSINT I made a few years ago, OK?

This is a map of the scientific publications made by Germany over a few years in space technologies, linking all people who co-authored an article. The algorithm I used pushes people apart but attracts people linked together by publications. So you see fields of study appearing, that I annoted. All look the same, except for one.

Rockets.

And this one is totally different from the others, in shape, in relation to the others. What does this mean? Our nice teutonic neighbours do not make the same amount of information public in this specific field compared to all the others.

Welcome to OSINT. Hiding information is an information.

See above. They don't have to show us a lot to back themselves up, simply by virtue of not having told us a lot in the first place. Remember, according to OP it will take 20 years to get to the nearest gateway. That's more than enough time to hide what they don't want us to see.

Got it, that makes more sense.
So you see what I mean when I suggest we check out whether we're dealing with Gallifrey, Equestria, the Galactic Empire, the Imperium of Man or DPRK? Each of these could have reasons for such a way to do a First Contact this way, but with very different outcomes.
See above. They don't have to show us a lot to back themselves up, simply by virtue of not having told us a lot in the first place. Remember, according to OP it will take 20 years to get to the nearest gateway. That's more than enough time to hide what they don't want us to see.
So they are hiding stuff. A lot of stuff. Excellent news, we now have a pretty big clue that something is going wrong. Keeping a deception going without the investigator realizing there is a deception? It is incredibly hard, and becomes godly hard if you have to face careful scrutiny for years or decades.

It's the whole Fake Moon Landing stuff.

Sure.

"Why are you giving us a choice?"
The Lagitie are the chosen stewarts of our precursors legacy, we rule in their stead and tend to the holdings which we have inherited. Though the precursors did will all of known space to us they also had many ongoing efforts to seed life throughout space and Earth was one of them. We do not know what they had planned for you, but we do know they made you as self determining beings capable of choice, and with choice comes the freedom to dispute our claim as the successors to our forerunners legacy. That is why we give you a choice, becouse the precursors intended you to have it.

The Lagitie are the chosen stewarts of our precursors legacy, we rule in their stead and tend to the holdings which we have inherited. Though the precursors did will all of known space to us they also had many ongoing efforts to seed life throughout space and Earth was one of them. We do not know what they had planned for you, but we do know they made you as self determining beings capable of choice, and with choice comes the freedom to dispute our claim as the successors to our forerunners legacy. That is why we give you a choice, becouse the precursors intended you to have it.

How long ago was life-seeded across the galaxy by the precursors?
Do you know why they vanished and where they vanished to?

How long ago was life-seeded across the galaxy by the precursors?
It was an ongoing process beginning around 600 million years ago.

Do you know why they vanished and where they vanished to?
No, that is The single most important question in all of Heritor philosophy, theology, and science.

(How do we explain to the aliens that life was on Earth way longer than 600 million years ago. Do we?)
(It's supposed to correspond with the cambrian explosion)

If we're free to eventually change our mind, I think we should default on 'No'. If they were planning to exterminate/enslave us and didn't need our initial compliance in order to do it, then they would probably just do it.

Well, it´s not really that we have a actual choice....
Not only do they have they have a huge interstellar empire but also a massive tech discrepancy.
Should we decline, then they basically lock us up into our own solar system.

1 % our our global GDP, wow, thats quite a sum...
1 % doesn´t sound much, but is in fact a hefty sum.

There is another fact that bothers me massively.
They are planning to "Bring all the younger cousins into the fold".......
This smells for me like cultural assimilation.

As for the tech, aside from "humanitarian aid" and those wormholes, they don´t offer us any ships or tech, at least i´m not seeing any in the OP:

Back
Top Bottom