What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[DELETED]

Given the contents and the fact that it isn't actually against the rules, I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

I mean if it isn't against the rules to share PMs, fine, but I'm going to be a lot more wary about what I say in PM. Again from what I've experienced even when this isn't an explicit rule most people consider it improper to share PMs without consent. Just because the person is an idiot or a dick shouldn't make it not poor etiquette to do this even if it isn't against the rules. I also don't understand the logic that a photo of the monitor is okay, but a digital screenshot isn't. It just comes off as a bizarre form of logic or rules lawyering to claim that.

To clarify, I'm not saying that it's okay to take a picture of the monitor instead, just that in this scenario I don't really care if a PM is shared, since it isn't actually against the rules.

As long as no personal info is leaked, and one of the following conditions is met
  1. The other party is not banned but is fine with mixing private and public conversations.
  2. The other party is banned, so who cares if they consent.
...I have no problem with it. I actually am not overly bothered with 1 to be honest (except for official communications with staff), but I listed it for completions sake.

While there are technicalities in some jurisdictions on one- or two-party consent of recordings (one-party means that any party can consent; two-party shockingly requires at least two parties; so far as I know there is no standard of "everyone in a room full of people must have provided consent" in any jurisdiction that I can think of) these do not apply to written correspondence. So at least legally there is no problem with sharing conversations so long as they do not also publicize information that may be considered doxxing under some national privacy laws.

Oi vei, that wasn't even close to the reason I took the picture. XD

As I said, I suck at making Discord work on my computer, I only use it on my tablet. I saw Zeno's nonsense and took a picture with some stuff edited out to send it straight away to @Horton on Discord, who told me to report it and then allowed me to post on the general Discord channel while he was erasing the offender.

That's it, no weird rule-lawyering.

I agree. Sharing information communicated privately on the site, not on the open forums, seems like something we should have a rule on about if and when it's okay.

@Horton?
Yes, I'm going to make this a rule. As the current person did it before this was added, it won't be punished.

There will also be a distinction between large PMs and small PMs. If the PM is over 10 people, people getting done for sharing stuff seems iffy.

And you call yourself a European! You have shamed yourself, those of your line who came before you, and any generations that may come after! :mad:
I will repeat fifty times the entire Administrative Code as penance.
I mean, I do think sharing PMs should be verboten, but if you're going to make literal death threats to people (no matter how edgelord they are), it wouldn't make that much sense to force the people you hurl abuse to stay quiet about it.
I have no issue with that choice of rule after the fact, though I also think that given TZG's known tendency to portray himself as a poor and innocent victim of arbitrary oppression, that kind of element would make sure that noone would, you know, feel bad about him.

I can understand if something explicitly breaks the rules of the forum, but it should probably be up to a mod if something that broke the rules in PM is okay to share publicly considering we have a thread specifically for infractions/bans and why they happened.

On the other hand certain things in PM that would normally be against the rules seem like they should be okay if they're only being shared in PM and all parties are okay with what is being communicated.
its pretty much if it's not ilegal and the other user is ok with it with PMs.

Back
Top Bottom