What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooking thread

Malsya

Michael Bolton and Phil Collins Fans
So I just realised that we doesn't have a cooking thread, so I decided I will started one. So I recently watched TV5MONDE Asie–Pacifique. There is a cooking show by Chef Guy Martin. He cooked a plate of Frog with Mousseline. So I decided to cook it. I replaced the Frog thighs with chicken thighs. I also replaced several non halal ingredients. The taste is actually good. I never realized that French food is delicious. Maybe I will cook more French Food in the future?

Here is a little recipe i´ve tried today...

Grilled Gochujang Salmon.

1x Tbsp of Gochujang
1x tbsp of Soy Sauce
1x tbsp of Honey
2x crushed cloves of Garlic
1x tbsp of Sake
1x tsp of Sesame Oil

Mix well till you have a smooth paste.
Then place it on some salmon (preferably without skin) and grill it till the Sauce is slightly "Burned".
The paste isn´t "burned", but the sugar in the honey has caramelised.

Some steamed Rice and a some salad and you have a really light dinner.

BTW, you can also use it on Chicken, tastes also very good.

Here is another Recipe i like to share with you guys...
A sort of basting sauce for grilled meat.
Very easy to make:

5-6 crushed cloves of Garlic
1/2 Cup of dry White Wine
1/2 Cup of cold Water (Hint: use sparkling Water)
Salt and Pepper

Simply mix and let it rest for a few minutes before basting the Meat with it.
The smell of Wine and Garlic is simply heavenly. And then the flavor....
My family uses this simple sauce since generations.

Last edited:
Ok, a question regarding Old Bay Seasoning....

So, i was browsing Amazon for hot sauces when i stumbled upon the recomendation of Old Bay Seasoning.
A quick search told be that this spice (or rather Spicemix) is used for Fish , Chicken and other Meats.

So, if anyone of you is using it, is it worth buying ??

I just realized I know zero food preparation words in English.
Plus all the recipes I know the amount of individual ingredients is "this many"*holds fingers a set distance apart* "some" and "all of it".

Now typing those words, I am starting to think the fight I had with my girlfriend when I cooked dinner last time may not entirely be due to her being unreasonable.

I just realized I know zero food preparation words in English.
Plus all the recipes I know the amount of individual ingredients is "this many"*holds fingers a set distance apart* "some" and "all of it".

Use DeepL for translating if you don´t know the words for it. The translator is really good.

Try posting some.

Ok, a question regarding Old Bay Seasoning....

So, i was browsing Amazon for hot sauces when i stumbled upon the recomendation of Old Bay Seasoning.
A quick search told be that this spice (or rather Spicemix) is used for Fish , Chicken and other Meats.

So, if anyone of you is using it, is it worth buying ??
I use it on tilapia and other fish a lot and enjoy it. Probably best to get a small bottle to try though.

I use it on tilapia and other fish a lot and enjoy it. Probably best to get a small bottle to try though.

Have found an offer for just about 13 € for 350 grams.

Use DeepL for translating if you don´t know the words for it. The translator is really good.

Try posting some.
The words in "quotation marks" are there because DeepL told me to use them.

Gulasz. Not Gulasch, that one is Hungarian, I am talking about a Polish one.
The following is for a family-size serving.*

You need:
a frying pan a deeper one is preferable. With a lid.
Mixing bawl
Sweet dried paprika. Hot paprika can be added in small amounts as an option.
Meat 500-600g. Can be poultry can be pig can be cow.
Onions. depending on the onion size one or a half of one.
Flower.
Vegetable/cooking oil.

Meat. Cut in bite size chunks. I do slices but you can also cut them in cubes. The goal is so the chunks are not more then 1cm thick in one direction.
Tenderize. That part is important. It is better to overdo it than not do it enough.

Put in a bowl for mixing with sweet paprika, you can add spicy paprika if you like. Mix till the spices are equal distributed. Then add flower and repeat the process.

Cut up onions.
The smaller the chunks the better.

Preheat cooking oil on a frying pan.

Put the prepared meat in a preheated frying pan. Fry till it will be "Browned" on all sides.
Add the cut onions. Add to the dish. "Fry up" the onions. As in the onions turn transparent.
Decrease the heat and "Stew the meat" as in pour in water so all the ingredients are under it. Cover with the lid.
Wait about 15-20 minutes. or until all the stuff in the pan is of the same consistency.

done.

Can be served as a standalone dish(not recommended), A side of buckwheat is how I serve it. The salad is, pickles with onions.
I have a good friend that is allergic to onions. For her, I do the same recipe just skip the onions. In that case, you either fry it a little longer as the "frying up the onions" part is not there, or tenderize the meat beforehand for longer. If the parts you cut start to disintegrate as you hit them, it means you are done.

The above is just the way I make it.
Gulasz is the laziest and quickiest to-make dish that I know and still be considered a part of a full course.

*By family size I mean that it will be enough for two adults and two kids to sit down and eat together. I noticed that the common mistake is that new cooks make too much food. It may sound heretical I believe it is better to make less than too much.

Well done, see, that wasnt so hard.

Question: do you roast the peppers in oil before adding the other stuff ?

My Mum makes a similar one but sometimes she adds Red or Whitewine.

Well done, see, that wasnt so hard.

Question: do you roast the peppers in oil before adding the other stuff ?

My Mum makes a similar one but sometimes she adds Red or Whitewine.
I do not roast the paprika Dried paprika are grinded to fine powder. They are besically spice at that point. Usually I use store bought one. I only have so much space to dry stuff. I have an orchard so Dried stuff in my house are mostly apples. Mushroms are second on the list. Paprika usually doest not even make the list.

Now that I thinking about it most of my kitchen floor space is taken up by sour cabbage pickles and wine.

When I get home I will post my wine recepe. That one I cant recite from memory.

As already mentioned, we make a similar Gulasz. However, the main difference here is, we roast/fry the sweet and spicy paprika poweder in either oil or, if we have some, in lard.
The flavor difference is astounding. After that, Onions are added, and cooked til translucent. Then comes the meat. We roast it til it have a nice brown color. After that we add the Water, and as mentioned
sometimes wine. Then we add the spices such a bayleaf, peppercorns and salt. My mum loves to add fresh peppers to it also some potatos. The fresh peppers gives a nice tang and the potato
thickens the stew. Then it´s time to let it cook. However, we use a pressurecooker to speed up things. So, about one hour of cooking time. Maybe a bit more. Then we add a sort of dumplings made out of eggs, water and flour. No salt needed here.
If the stew is still to thin (we like it a bit more on the thick side), my mum thickens it with a sludge of water and starch.

I really love the smell of it.

Instead of Beef or Pork, you can also use a whole Chicken. The resulting flavor is much lighter.

As a side we usually eat pickles such a pickled red Round Peppers or Cucumbers. Sometimes we eat pickled Tomatos.
As for me, i love dripping some of the pickle juice into the stew. The stuff is hard to resist and i usually eat 2-3 Bowls of it.

When I get home I will post my wine recepe. That one I cant recite from memory.

Really looking forward to it.

So, i´m looking for a easy version of Beauf bourguignon. Can someone give me a easy and foolproof version of the recipe ?
The recipes i found so far are (IMHO) a bit complicated.

So, i´m looking for a easy version of Beauf bourguignon. Can someone give me a easy and foolproof version of the recipe ?
The recipes i found so far are (IMHO) a bit complicated.
Realistically? This is about as simple as you can get without going into "three days before you start, begin to simmer your broth" territory.

Better to have a sacrificial batch of celery and carrots to cook for a couple of hours to flavor the sauce. Pull them out when they start to get real mushy, stick them in a blender and add the puree back to the sauce. Add some carrots back in about a half hour before you finish cooking so they get soft and flavorful, but not nasty.

If you have a homemade beef broth that is great. A good quality chicken stock (low/no sodium) off the shelf can replace most of the water if you want a bit more depth of flavor. Packaged beef broth is not that great in general.

Yeah, it still takes three hours to cook. A pressure cooker can speed up breaking down muscle fibers, but it will annihilate vegetables and you will still need to cook down the sauce for consistency and flavor. Better to just plan on it being a long day.

Realistically? This is about as simple as you can get without going into "three days before you start, begin to simmer your broth" territory.

Better to have a sacrificial batch of celery and carrots to cook for a couple of hours to flavor the sauce. Pull them out when they start to get real mushy, stick them in a blender and add the puree back to the sauce. Add some carrots back in about a half hour before you finish cooking so they get soft and flavorful, but not nasty.

If you have a homemade beef broth that is great. A good quality chicken stock (low/no sodium) off the shelf can replace most of the water if you want a bit more depth of flavor. Packaged beef broth is not that great in general.

Yeah, it still takes three hours to cook. A pressure cooker can speed up breaking down muscle fibers, but it will annihilate vegetables and you will still need to cook down the sauce for consistency and flavor. Better to just plan on it being a long day.

Awesome....
thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for..

Back
Top Bottom