What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Children of a Frozen Earth: A Post 'Day After Tomorrow'/'Frostpunk' style Apocalypse Timeline

I like it. You downplayed psychics (the way some timelines so eagerly put psychic abilities in it seems like a copout at some point). Solid in your worldbuilding so far.

I like it. You downplayed psychics (the way some timelines so eagerly put psychic abilities in it seems like a copout at some point). Solid in your worldbuilding so far.
I curbed psionics with an immense caloric cost from Mass Effect of all places, just jacked it up to eleven as it were. Hell, I simply had it start out as part of a subconscious 'psi-net' before humanity literally stumbled on the genes that made it continuously active. I left with some room to grow but it isn't outright superior to things like very advanced gene-tech or cybernetics.

Whatever fits better-
That's what I'm trying to find out. What would be simple to me might be complex for others.
I'd go with the new one, simply because the spreadsheet is easier for me to comprehend.
Anything of the old system that you like because the new one isn't 100% complete yet.

The thing with this is that I'm going to have a lot of VLOOKUP and Data Validations no matter what I do... which will require a lot of equations and functions to do well.

Well...

I am currently working on a Python program version of my spreadsheet.
Python program? Just asking here because if it makes things simpler then I might take a look see.

Python program? Just asking here because if it makes things simpler then I might take a look see.
Its in the beginning stages of the GUI... I plan to put it on github soon.

For anything more, grab a copy of 'Children of a Dead Earth'.
I'm not that far with the game, and hyper-realism isn't what I'm aiming for...

... can you send me a copy of Python when your done with it? It sounds interesting (unless it requires a license, then I'll have to wait)...

I'm not that far with the game, and hyper-realism isn't what I'm aiming for...

... can you send me a copy of Python when your done with it? It sounds interesting (unless it requires a license, then I'll have to wait)...

You do know that Python is a scripting language? Open Source at that...

You do know that Python is a scripting language? Open Source at that...
I did't know that... I'm not as into programming as I used to be (HTML 5 killed that for me) so I didn't know that.

I did't know that... I'm not as into programming as I used to be (HTML 5 killed that for me) so I didn't know that.
Its a very, very simple object oriented scripting language. Basically a modern BASIC.

Its a very, very simple object oriented scripting language. Basically a modern BASIC.
... and this is what I get for not being as up to date as needed... I did read a book on Basic in middle school...

Psi Memories

This is the closest equivalent of going through a 'Psi-Memory' that you'll ever see in other fiction. One moment, everything is normal, you are doing whatever you're doing and then, bang, you're dragged into the memory. You would think that you were taken back in time to the event itself, your senses going bonkers as they respond to the events of the memory. If you're lucky, you simply ride through the memory with your senses going haywire and your brain getting contradictory signals with some possible PTSD on the side. If you aren't? ... well... let's just say you'll die and get 'stuck' into the memory. Repeating the events again, and again, and again until the memory is contained and removed or the memory is destroyed.

These things are not to be trifled with, no matter what you think. That is why every faction has invested in equipment designed to limit or negate psi-related events, as they can actually harm people through the senses as the brain is getting the signals despite them not actually happening. People have experienced things like brain hemorrhaging, heart attacks, heart failure, complete organ failure, among other deadly things when experiencing a psi-memory. Containing and removing these things is a complicated process to begin with and takes a lot of resources to accomplish. Destroying them is a hazardous proposition to begin with as in doing so would likely cause a 'psi pulse' which at the minimum gives out concussions like Oprah gives out gifts or kills every sentient being by turning their brains into literal mush.

The Reason Why Eco-Purists are Still a Threat and Why Earth is a Snowball
So, someone that I showed some of my notes to asked why are Eco-Purists still a threat after all this time... and, well, it isn't pretty. By the time the Cataclysm happened, eco-terrorism was becoming more and more violent as the situation deteriorated. As the world fell apart, they gained equipment and technology that would severely screw humanity over. While the ideology of Eco-Purity is self perpetuating (as those of the ideology have hidden themselves quite well) with their own hideouts and bases across the planet, the efforts that the various factions have put into annihilating this ideology would have killed it by the modern day.

To get into why Eco-Purists haven't been annihilated, we must go with some history. Russia during it's pre-Cataclysm days was ruled by an oligarchy and that oligarchy is ruled by a handful of former intelligence department leaders and officers, the most visible of which is one Vladimir Putin. Putin -no one has a complete picture of this era thanks to Grigor Stoyanovich destroying as much as he could when Karyavin Yuliy Vadimovich 'pulled a Napoleon'- initiated a program that would turn things like freedom of the press and freedom of information against the target and the more 'open' these freedoms are, the worse the effects. From the mid-1990s AD, this slowly evolved into a comprehensive program utilizing mimetic weaponry and was first used in Brexit and the US 2016 Presidential Elections alongside the more traditional 'Active Measures' program that the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) had perfected into an artform with.

To say that this worked beyond expectations would be an understatement. Brexit caused a disastrous cascading effect with the European Union, as it caused an incredibly punitive Brexit to be implemented. This punitive Brexit not only caused North Ireland have The Troubles again -although what little specific information from that period that is left indicates that mimetic weaponry was used to cause this, but this can't be completely confirmed thanks to the destruction of important documents by Stoyanovich's regime- before loosing it completely but also cause the military to reinstate the monarchy at gunpoint. The punitive Brexit caused ripples within the EU, which led to a series of economic and civic meltdowns across key members of the EU and caused it's dissolution in the late 2030s AD.

The United States on the other hand fared somewhat better. The Trump-Russia Investigation managed to cause an unprecedented series of court cases started by the Supreme Court that would destroy not only Trump, his family, and his associates (Donald would only survive a year in ADX Florance while serving a life sentence) but also for all intents and purposes annihilate the GOP and it's propaganda infrastructure alongside curtailing social media in general. While this did cause minor bouts of insurrection, it went more or less roughly... before the status of the world became -more or less- defined as 'on fire'.

Putin then authorized an expansion and perfection of this new form of weaponry. This is where one Chayka Mili Yegorovich enters the picture. Chayka Mili Yegorovich and his team developed a whole new mimetic weapon technology from scratch within eight years and developed an entire suite of mimetic weapons out of that technology. What Chayka Mili Yegorovich and his team managed to create is the closest thing to mind control as one could get. The technology could make anyone who is receptive to the meme into a Manchurian Candidate. The rate that the process takes hold of a person differs wildly from victim to victim, and it has only been discovered recently that those with inactive psionic genes are the most vulnerable (and even then, it is it's own spectrum, as the more powerful the inactive psionic gene, the faster the process goes), but it is 100% effective on those that it takes hold. Now, Chayka Mili Yegorovich and his team understood the implications of this, and decided to defect to the United States. With the help of the remnants of MI-6, the CIA, Poland, Germany, and a handful of others, Chayka Mili Yegorovich and his team managed to get to the US safely with a detailed manual on the technology with the original software and what little of the hardware they could smuggle out.

Chayka Mili Yegorovich and his team's fate would be that they died after helping the FBI and NSA on creating very basic countermeasures with everything related to the project stolen and let loose across the internet. This coincided with a rash of attacks by a now-dead hactivist group who believed that all information must be free. To say that this technology getting into the wild was disastrous would be the understatement to end all understatements. While most of the ideologies that would spawn from these would be brutally put down, it would cause greater bloodshed later... as what would become known as the Eco-Purists would perfect this technology into it's current form.

That is how the Eco-Purists have managed to stay alive for so long. With careful planning, they could turn anyone into an Eco-Purist fanatic. That is why things like the freedom of information is heavily restricted and privacy has been annihilated.

That wasn't the only horror that the Eco-Purists would be responsible for... for it is the eco-purists -more specifically a faction within the ideology known only as the 'Riders of the Apocalypse', a faction that most other Eco-Purist factions hated and feared and whose sole define purpose is to annihilate humanity and everything it created- that caused the Earth to snowball.

Taking data from various weather manipulation projects that various nation-states were doing (the leaders of the field would be the US and Russia with China bringing up the rear), the 'Riders of the Apocalypse' created a series of technologies that would cause the entire Earth to Snowball in an effort to doom humanity to extinction. The 'Riders of the Apocalypse' managed to go basically comic book villain and created a superweapon that was straight out of a comic book. When this weapon was first activated, it didn't do anything within the first two years like their models predicted... and it wouldn't be until a decade and a half after activation that the effects started to show themselves, which was one of the causes of the Cataclysm. At first, it was only notable for the uptick in polar vortexes... which got worse every year until it caused entire swaths of the US Midwest to be uninhabitable during winter time. That was when various nations started building what would become the Citadel-Arcologies, in preparation if these polar 'super' vortexes get even worse and cover a wider area.

Sadly, this won't save everyone...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom