What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian woman died after being trapped in a donation bin

t-dugong

Beach bum, Esq.
A Canadian woman has been found dead after she became partially trapped inside a clothing donation box in Toronto.

The death, which police believe was unintentional, follows a string of similar fatal accidents.

Several non-profits have removed their bins and some have called for a new or safer way to drop off donations.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46801018

That is just fucked up. A single incident while tragic is an accident. A series of similar incident? That's worrying.

Are these things in such out of the way places because I am surprised that this can happen in the age of cell phones?

Sounds like a Darwin Award to me.
More like desperation/incredibly bad luck plus hostile architecture plus Canadian winter equals death by exposure. Most people don't try to get into a donation bin just for giggles. Note the article mentions that most people who die in this way are homeless. Far more likely this was a desperate poverty-based decision that went horribly wrong.

Save the Darwin award jokes for people who are making decisions based on chasing an adrenaline rush rather than poverty please.

More like desperation/incredibly bad luck plus hostile architecture plus Canadian winter equals death by exposure. Most people don't try to get into a donation bin just for giggles. Note the article mentions that most people who die in this way are homeless. Far more likely this was a desperate poverty-based decision that went horribly wrong.

Save the Darwin award jokes for people who are making decisions based on chasing an adrenaline rush rather than poverty please.
The solution is really simple.

Don't steal from the donation bin or try to seek shelter within.

Cool. Just like it's a simple solution to stay warm if you stay inside where it's heated.

I wonder why these people don't just do that.:cautious:
Yeah it'd a nice idea if they had some kind of shelter, a sort of place where they could sleep. A place that is warm.

A shame such a place doesn't exist.

Are these things in such out of the way places because I am surprised that this can happen in the age of cell phones?
It's not that bizarre. Remember the SB thread with the kid trapped in the back of the van with the seat pinning him? He called 911 who seemed to think it was a prank so response was lackluster.

Back
Top Bottom