What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News: Norwegian Tanker hit by unknown torpedo in UAE waters near Iran

Oh for fuck's sake... please don't be a false flag attack to kickstart a war.
we have survivors so likely not military anti-shipping torpedo(ADCAP), probably another limpet mine

yeah I'm not a expert just saying this doesn't help Iran and we've got a kook running secret briefings at the pentagon who promised war with Iran in 2019, and well major powers have a history of starting wars of opportunity with created naval incidents that sound like this scenario.
frankly this has no downside for the US as the incident will boost oil prices

I kinda wonder whether the Saudis could have done it, using one of the stealth frigates we sold them to fire a torpedo in direct hit mode rather than under the keel. It would be nasty and hard to discover in such a crowded area, the frigates being designed to blend in civilian traffic contacts.

I kinda wonder whether the Saudis could have done it, using one of the stealth frigates we sold them to fire a torpedo in direct hit mode rather than under the keel.
the Japaneese own chemical hauler reports two strikes above the water line, claiming to have been shelled

Last edited:
Oh for fuck's sake... please don't be a false flag attack to kickstart a war.
Certainly possible as it's near election time, he's weaker then last time and won't be running against Hillary. As a "Justified" War boasts popularity of politicians, someone like Thatcher being a classic example of war boasting popularity pre election.

Though conversely he does have the classic incumbent advantage + economic performance will get automatically attributed to him likely due to the psychological aspect of the media implying the president is a dictator (when he isn't).

We should be able to work out if or if not that's the case within the next few days based on how much coverage it gets. Most offensive wars require things like this actually being spammed everywhere on the front pages of media for that excuse to work.

Quite typically support of a population is needed and if something like this isn't pontificated around, then the US plebiscite will just view it as Trump's fault for provoking them by cancelling the deal. Iraq basically exploited the existing inertia from 9/11 and we lack that here.

So,

If the story just sinks into the news like other such incidents of that nature and goes relative unnoticed? Then it probably won't be the spark in the straw pile.

If Trumpie starts spam tweeting about it and Fox start spamming it as well? Oh boy...

Certainly possible as it's near election time, he's weaker then last time and won't be running against Hillary. As a "Justified" War boasts popularity of politicians, someone like Thatcher being a classic example of war boasting popularity pre election.
If it's a false flag (I give it 85%) then I think it's more likely that it's been organized by Bolton&friends to convince Trump to allow a strike against Iran. It may seem silly and transparent to us, but remember that Trump knows only what his advisors and close people tell him, so he's in an alternate reality, a 'neocon bubble' I'd say.

If it's a false flag (I give it 85%) then I think it's more likely that it's been organized by Bolton&friends to convince Trump to allow a strike against Iran. It may seem silly and transparent to us, but remember that Trump knows only what his advisors and close people tell him, so he's in an alternate reality, a 'neocon bubble' I'd say.
Might not even be Bolton.

What would be stopping the Saudis doing it and hiding it from even the US to inflame the region?

Reactions: Kol
Eh, if it was a false flag to make Trump start a war, they'd have attacked an American ship.
Yep it'd be pretty weird to pick Denmark of all places.

When has Trumpie really cared about that type of thing? Europe doesn't even like America now if the internal accounts are correct.

What would be stopping the Saudis doing it and hiding it from even the US to inflame the region?
I don't think the Saudis have the means to do this. My bet is on Israel.
Eh, if it was a false flag to make Trump start a war, they'd have attacked an American ship.
Attacking a US ship would be too dangerous, not only tactically but also strategically, should the plan get out.

Sooo, Pompeo did a crash investigation it seems: Gulf of Oman tankers attacked: Live updates - CNN
Mike Pompeo: Iran is responsible for attacks on tankers in Gulf of Oman today
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran for an attack on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman, saying the assessment was based on intelligence, but offered no evidence to support his claim.

"It is the assessment by the United States government that the Islamic Republic of Iran is responsible for the attacks that occurred in the Gulf of Oman today," Pompeo told reporters at the US State Department.
"This assessment is based on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, recent similar Iranian attacks on shipping, and the fact that no proxy group operating in the area has the resources and proficiency to act with such a high degree of sophistication."

One of the tankers was Japanese, and Japanese PM is (or was) in Iran. Coincidence or an attempt at spoiling negotiations?

One of the tankers was Japanese, and Japanese PM is (or was) in Iran. Coincidence or an attempt at spoiling negotiations?
I honestly want to know about the origins of the company as it was post war shipping company, my paranoia makes wonder about connections with Langley, VA.

What do we know about the Norwegian shipping company?

Oh, and has he thought about this exact sort of scenario before? Starting a war with Iran to try and influence an election?

Well of course he has.

Welp.

I'm guessing at least a couple of million dead and an entire region ex ruined for the next few decades.

Evolution is a bitch. Only people in our circle really matter to your average joe on the street sadly.

Back
Top Bottom