What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BREAKING NEWS: Coast Guard Lieutenant Charged with Planning Mass Attack Targeting Democrats and Journalists

makes a certain kind a sense the US existing only due to being the gods chosen nation rome3.0, without being the US the EU must fall apart
And the sheer ignorance I've seen from "economists" like 40k who actually compare the EU to the US' Articles of Federation. Ugh, this is so idiotic.

We probably do have Nixon to blame for it.

Without having a source on hand to cite, I remember reading in a book about modern conservatism (albeit it was written in like '09) and how so many of the thought leaders behind Republican tactics today were old Nixon-staffers that were still bitter he got forced out of office over Watergate, etc, and how one of them supposedly said that if Nixon had had his own friendly media outlet, nothing would have gone wrong.

Because ultimately, we can blame the rise of right wing media reaching the public sphere for the constant radicalization - first to Fox, and then to PatriotMAGA12121 or whatever the latest screed website is. And we can blame those Nixon staffers and their intellectual heirs for giving rise to the monster that has gone and eaten a lot of them or at least escaped their control.

honestly EU is the closest we humans got to a bench-test of a single world stlye government, it's in civilzation best interest that it succeed
It wouldn't probably succeed given how bad the situation is there. From what I've heard, out of the whole mess only Germany is going to be doing well in the near future with the rest of the EU going down the drink. France's economy is not doing that well, Italy looks like it's going to have an economic meltdown, Greece is going to have problems again, Brexit is a thing...

Yeah, the EU is looking like it's going to fail.

We probably do have Nixon to blame for it.

Without having a source on hand to cite, I remember reading in a book about modern conservatism (albeit it was written in like '09) and how so many of the thought leaders behind Republican tactics today were old Nixon-staffers that were still bitter he got forced out of office over Watergate, etc, and how one of them supposedly said that if Nixon had had his own friendly media outlet, nothing would have gone wrong.

Because ultimately, we can blame the rise of right wing media reaching the public sphere for the constant radicalization - first to Fox, and then to PatriotMAGA12121 or whatever the latest screed website is. And we can blame those Nixon staffers and their intellectual heirs for giving rise to the monster that has gone and eaten a lot of them or at least escaped their control.
guess who was on Team B

It wouldn't probably succeed given how bad the situation is there. From what I've heard, out of the whole mess only Germany is going to be doing well in the near future with the rest of the EU going down the drink. France's economy is not doing that well, Italy looks like it's going to have an economic meltdown, Greece is going to have problems again, Brexit is a thing...

it makes too many peolpe safer,happy and richer, Breixt is going to be the glue that binds them together no one is going to want to be the beneficary of the marshal plan 2 like the uk in six months

LOL, thank you for illustrating perfectly what I've been saying. We hear from your side's pundits about the imminent failure of the EU every two weeks for, what, 50 years? Mostly because we dare to work with different principles than the messiahs' Holy Truth.

LOL, thank you for illustrating perfectly what I've been saying. We hear from your side's pundits about the imminent failure of the EU every two weeks for, what, 50 years?
without a strong man expy(king/president/dictator) to hang authority on some folks still can't accept a government can be succesful

it makes too many peolpe safer,happy and richer, Breixt is going to be the glue that binds them together no one is going to want to be the beneficary of the marshal plan 2 like the uk in six months
Problem with that is that politics has a lot stemming from economics, and France's economic situation is poor to say the least. To say less of Italy and Greece and their economic situation, the better. Out of the major countries in the EU, only Germany isn't on thin ice at best economically.

Problem with that is that politics has a lot stemming from economics, and France's economic situation is poor to say the least. To say less of Italy and Greece and their economic situation, the better. Out of the major countries in the EU, only Germany isn't on thin ice at best economically.
Yes, yes, of course, my dear. Should we take a look at the US deficit again? ;-)

And once again, Le Yawn. It'd be more frightening would your pundits not say the same thing every day for fifty years without result.

UK proved debt was the other guys problem back 18thcentury, it will hold and grow because that is what the people who make it up want

UK proved debt was the other guys problem back 18thcentury, it will hold and grow because that is what the people who make it up want
And if debt was a problem, the utterly massive US debt AND deficit should terrify the same pundits who doomsay the EU. But then, "economics" is a variable-geometry field, which allows the same rules to say whatever you want.

And if debt was a problem, the utterly massive US debt AND deficit should terrify the same pundits who doomsay the EU. But then, "economics" is a variable-geometry field, which allows the same rules to say whatever you want.
well money being what it is, people when pressed would rather have civilzation then nothing right?

The US debt and deficit is a problem. But at least we could thereotically inflation ourselves out of debt (bad idea, of course). But the EU having one monetary policy and twenty-odd fiscal policies is a bit of an issue. On the other hand, that hardly means the EU is likely to fall tomorrow or even next week or whatever. It may go through some hard times, or it may do very well going forward, it's hard to say. Shedding some countries that get taken over by Euroskeptics may (may) help it, in some ways.

The US debt and deficit is a problem. But at least we could thereotically inflation ourselves out of debt (bad idea, of course). But the EU having one monetary policy and twenty-odd fiscal policies is a bit of an issue. On the other hand, that hardly means the EU is likely to fall tomorrow or even next week or whatever. It may go through some hard times, or it may do very well going forward, it's hard to say. Shedding some countries that get taken over by Euroskeptics may (may) help it, in some ways.
just throwing this out here as an example of how debt is the lenders problem

Yeah, pretty much. Now, of course, if we screw ourselves over like that no one will ever lend us money again for a long time, or at least not at good rates. We (The US) can borrow so much money because people believe we're good for it.

Yeah, pretty much. Now, of course, if we screw ourselves over like that no one will ever lend us money again for a long time, or at least not at good rates. We (The US) can borrow so much money because people believe we're good for it.
I'm not saying issuse more debt I'm saying roll the taxcode back to 50's(with modernazation), the debt it self isn't a threat we can not address and frankly has hardly ever been such a threat in most of recorded human history, as a country folding costs everyone more them you can try to claw back from it's corpse

Back
Top Bottom