What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial Insemination and Lesbian Couples in France.

That sounds pretty much like saying it's a myth.
Maybe because there is no proof ? Which, yes, make it a myth, because "a book say so" doesn't constitute a proof.

Also, that's pretty anti-Christian, which I do not appreciate
Rest assured that my stance isn't anti-Christian, not even anti-religious. Rather it is anti-ignorance.

So, I have no issue with Catholic style "theistic evolution" (God wrote the program and the big bang was Him hitting "execute"), but if you want to argue for Biblical Literalism and/or Young Earth, then it does not belong in schools.
Except Science does not disagree with the Bibles statements. First came the stars, then came the Earth (with only water), then came land, then came animals from this land (presumably through evolution from sea creatures ((The Cambian Explosion?))), then came people (presumably evolved from the likes of sea or cellular creatures as well, symbolized by God saying he blew his breath into the Earth ((Again, cambian explosion symbolism?))).

That's how I see it at the least.

Maybe because there is no proof ? Which, yes, make it a myth, because "a book say so" doesn't constitute a proof.
Which I don't take kindly too, as it's still an anti-Christian statement. You're outright stating that our work is a fiction, not stating that our work is POSSIBLY a fiction. I'm all for free-speech, though, so say what you will.

Except Science does not disagree with the Bibles statements. First came the stars, then came the Earth (with only water), then came land, then came animals from this land (presumably through evolution from sea creatures ((The Cambian Explosion?))), then came people (presumably evolved from the likes of sea or cellular creatures as well, symbolized by God saying he blew his breath into the Earth ((Again, cambian explosion symbolism?))).

Which I don't take kindly too, as it's still an anti-Christian statement. I'm all for free-speech, though, so say what you will.
What you describe isn't Literalism. Literalism is "it happened exactly thst way, it isn't poetic language or primitive people describing it in their own way. Seven Literal days of 24 hours as we know it rather than the days being a metaphor for stages of development"

In other words, the Bible can be true without being in any way historically or scientifically accurate in its descriptions.

That is rather taking the end result, and making it fit with the theory.

I have no problem with someone believing the Bible for Who and Why, as long as they accept modern science/history for What, When, and How

What you describe isn't Literalism. Literalism is "it happened exactly thst way, it isn't poetic language or primitive people describing it in their own way. Seven Literal days of 24 hours as we know it rather than the days being a metaphor for stages of development"
Well, I don't see it that way (fucking hell, in that age days literally weren't a real defined passage of time yet-). That's not what I mean.
I see the book of the Bible as a book littered with symbolism, imagery and cosmic hierarchy. Which is why I follow it and love it all the while. There's something hopeful about seeing things explained in such a way. And something fantastical about believing it was all caused by some greater force above us all.

I don't believe something such as the Big Bang was mere coincidence... how could it be?

That is rather taking the end result, and making it fit with the theory.
Well, it's how I see it. Can't be coincidence that all that poetic speech seems to tidy up so nicely in the scripture, in my opinion.

Well, I don't see it that way (fucking hell, in that age days literally weren't a real defined passage of time yet-). That's not what I mean.
I see the book of the Bible as a book littered with symbolism, imagery and cosmic hierarchy. Which is why I follow it and love it all the while. There's something hopeful about seeing things explained in such a way. And something fantastical about believing it was all caused by some greater force above us all.

I don't believe something such as the Big Bang was mere coincidence... how could it be?

Well, it's how I see it. Can't be coincidence that all that poetic speech seems to tidy up so nicely in the scripture, in my opinion.
Then you aren't a Literalist. Although, I still recommend that you listen to Carl Sagan if you like Hopeful and Wonderful.

We are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to selfawareness. We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars; organized assemblages of ten billion billion billion atoms considering the evolution of atoms; tracing the long journey by which, here at least, consciousness arose. Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.

The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us — there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries.

Then you aren't a Literalist. Although, I still recommend that you listen to Carl Sagan if you like Hopeful and Wonderful.

We are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to selfawareness. We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars; organized assemblages of ten billion billion billion atoms considering the evolution of atoms; tracing the long journey by which, here at least, consciousness arose. Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.
Sounds deep.

Anyway, I'm going to go write now.

Anyway, maybe this would deserve it's own thread ?

Ok, now you're just being an anti-theist.
No, I don't forbid people to believe if they wish to. After all, some need it. But I won't either lie to them by telling them what they believe is the truth, that would be dishonest.

No, I don't forbid people to believe if they wish to. After all, some need it. But I won't either lie to them by telling them what they believe is the truth, that would be dishonest.

Or you could be the tiniest bit respectful and not constantly insult and deride us.

Or you could be the tiniest bit respectful and not constantly insult and deride us.
I never insulted you or any theists, unless disagreeing with you is an insult ?

I would, but Im not really good at fiction sadly.
Give it a sporting go becouse there will be no more discussion of religion within this thread.

Back
Top Bottom