What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are terms like "mircoaggresion" "cultrual appriotation" stupid or not?

Which is why, if you go back to the beginning of the thread, my statement was that yes, these are real things, but the terms are horribly misused in modern culture

That shit? That shit isn't even close.

College students misunderstand ideas doesn't their academic usage invalid. Young people thinking they know everything and misapplying ideas happens every generation. Remember these are terms they've taken from actual academics, who actually use them in the appropriate context and know how to define their terms and make detailed arguments.

If people want to know what academic terms mean, then they should do the actual research instead of trying to learn them second hand by deciphering content made by people who aren't employed in the field..

Last edited:
I'm tired of the media using it. College kids just need to be hit over the head with a damn book once in a while by their professors.

So long as those professors aren't idiots themselves, fucking tenure.

I'm tired of the media using it. College kids just need to be hit over the head with a damn book once in a while by their professors.

So long as those professors aren't idiots themselves, fucking tenure.
I don't think I've ever seen a major media outlet use "microaggression".

Yeah, and people dismissing it entirely miss out on actual big disrespectful shit, like Indian war bonnets (Which if you're unaware are basically a combo of a purple heart and a diploma. Extreme cultural significance that represents a person worthy of respect)
See, I can agree with why people might not like that and even can agree with it to a certain point. It should be seen as poor taste, but not something you should have an internet mob harassing you to demanding you lose your job over.

What I don't have a problem with is someone dressing up as a Native American for Halloween. After all, we don't stop people of African or Asian decend from dressing up as European Knights or princesses- why should we then do it if someone wants to dress up as a Native American? It's all generally meant in fun.

What I don't have a problem with is someone dressing up as a Native American for Halloween. After all, we don't stop people of African or Asian decend from dressing up as European Knights or princesses- why should we then do it if someone wants to dress up as a Native American? It's all generally meant in fun.

Yeah sure, and I think that people massively over exaggerate how many people actually think that.

It's way more then you'd think. And you don't need an army, just a few dozen people with a lot of time on their hands and the belief that they are on the side of angels aka The Right Side Of History.

Gonna level with you champ, I really don't care.

Honestly, at this point people complaining about outrage culture seems to me as superfluous and pointless as outrage culture in the first place. Outrage over outrage, accomplishing nothing, all the way down.

There was indeed. One girl was harassed over twitter for wearing a chinese dress a bit back.

A girl harassed over twitter?!?

This is definitely something worthwhile to give a shit about, and definitely something only SJW's do.

Tl;dr who gives a fuck about dumbass internet culture war shit.

Yes they are stupid. Especially cultural apropriation. Like seriously the vast majority of cultures are created by mixing two other culturals together. Hell american cultural is literally nothing but stolen ideas. There is literally not a single part if american culture not either directly stolen or heavily influenced by another culture. And thats perfectly fine.

Yes they are stupid. Especially cultural apropriation. Like seriously the vast majority of cultures are created by mixing two other culturals together. Hell american cultural is literally nothing but stolen ideas. There is literally not a single part if american culture not either directly stolen or heavily influenced by another culture. And thats perfectly fine.

"Cultures steal from other cultures," doesn't somehow immediately jump to "perfectly fine." There's, y'know, context and different circumstances. In some cases it's a natural mingling and trade and that's cool. In others it's exploiting other's culture for profit and erasing their identity. Nuance, context, and all that.

Basically it boils down to treating people with respect.

Minorities appear to have no issue appropriating everything nice about the country they live in. God forbid they share their tortillas or cheongsam with the gringo.

That's not remotely what cultural appropriation is, a strong culture selling it on purpose is very very different than the issue talked about. And selling those foods? Said cultures are fine with selling and sharing them generally speaking.

The term is not merely about siloing all cultures separately. It's about treating people from those cultures with respect to their stuff and not treating everything a culture has as fair game no matter the context.

See, I can agree with why people might not like that and even can agree with it to a certain point. It should be seen as poor taste, but not something you should have an internet mob harassing you to demanding you lose your job over.

The thing is, a Native American costume? It's normally 1) The ethnicity itself and vague trappings of it is somehow treated as a 'costume,' 2) The actual appearance is sort of a bastardized mish-mash of different cultures, and 3) the Native Americans have no say in it, no profit from it, and it gives people an image of their culture which doesn't actually match them.

Like, compare the difference between 'Ninja' being a costume and 'Japanese person.' 'Mulan' and 'Chinese person.' The fact that 'Native American' alone is the costume divorced of pretty much any cultural relevance shows an issue.

Our image of Native Americans is so genericized and marketed that it's just presenting an image which isn't them, telling people it's them, and making it harder for, say, a Lakota to actually sell the image of a Lakota warrior or such to do so if they wanted to. Now if a group of Lakota decided to sell halloween costumes based on their actual history, with information about it, and sold it so as to spread knowledge of their culture? That would be an entirely different matter all together and that's fine. That would be the equivalent of your European Knights and Princesses- and it doesn't hurt that Knight and Princess are sold by people actually of those cultures. The 'Native American' costumes are made by... the same people who make the Knight and Princess costumes.

Heck, I think a lot of people forget that Native Americans are living cultures and not just an old historical look.

Oh, great specific geek example! Chakotay in Voyager. They hired a consultant on how to do his culture. The consultant was a white guy who, it turns out, made up most of his material out of whole cloth to sound Native-y to other white people and was based on no actual tribes. Ever wondered why Chakotay's background was mentioned prominently early on and we had a generic vision-questy episode and that's about it? That's why. So a white guy took a job intended for a native, and as a result a character who was intended to represent and show Native culture on the screen failed to do so, and ended up with a bland background they couldn't do anything with contributing to Chakotay having little to actually do. Tell me that's not cultural appropriation.

Last edited:
Microagression I think is a redundant word.

Back
Top Bottom