What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are emotions weakness?

Sarcobite

Author
So a question that has become more common, are emotions weak? Are they inherntly inferior to logic?

Reactions: EiC
Emotions are what we are all drunk on as humans. I for one like being drunk.

So a question that has become more common, are emotions weak? Are they inherntly inferior to logic?
Under any definition of 'emotions' and 'logic' that hold water when exposed to an undergraduate-level understanding of philosophy and psychology, this question is like asking "is the color blue inherently inferior to soup?"

Emotions are qualia- they are 'flavors,' the subjective way we perceive external realities. We are motivated by them because some qualia are pleasant (the taste of a ripe fruit, the sound of Mozart's music, the emotion of joy), while others are unpleasant (the taste of vomit, the sound of nails scraping on a chalkboard, the emotion of fear)

Logic is, well, the thinking-process, combined with descriptions of external realities. Logic is not qualia, but logic is also not the absence of qualia. Having no qualia, or experiencing qualia only weakly, does not automatically make you more logical. I mean, except in certain Eastern philosophy-religions that hold reality to be just an illusion anyway, but I'm pretty sure you're not a Buddhist.

Only if you are a Vulcan.
And the thing about the Vulcans is, it's not that they don't have emotions, it's that they have emotions that lead them to act self-destructively so they try to compensate by repression and denial. If they pretend they don't have a problem really hard, they don't have a problem.

For Vulcans, that might honestly be the best they can do.

For humans, it's not the best strategy for handling emotions. Not by a long shot.

Emotions are inherently emotions.

Being too emotional could present a drawback if one is not in control of them.

Back
Top Bottom