What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Politics American 2020 Presidential Primary

Bah, that was part of the gag, an Aussie talking in French to a Frog answering in English.
I feel....strange now.

Why should anyone listen to an actor for political opinions?
It's an American thing. But she can influence a lot of people (which is pretty much the only thing that matters in politics). In this case, though, it doesn't seem she's spouting BS (I didn't watch the video, so I won't talk about the proposition(s) to fix it) but at least, she's not blind to the truth. That's more than most elected officials in the US...

THANK YOU
The last time that happened we got REAGAN.
No. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last edited:
It's an American thing. But she can influence a lot of people (which is pretty much the only thing that matters in politics). In this case, though, it doesn't seem she's spouting BS (I didn't watch the video, so I won't talk about the proposition(s) to fix it) but at least, she's not blind to the truth. That's more than most elected officials in the US...
She hijacked the fan base and writings of the author of the Hunger Games to enhance her public image. She's an incredibly selfish person and is not to be trusted. PERIOD (just look at the video I posted earlier), not to mention the ideology behind THG is harmful enough without being hijacked by FemTrump.

She hijacked the fan base and writings of the author of the Hunger Games to enhance her public image. She's an incredibly selfish person and is not to be trusted. PERIOD (just look at the video I posted earlier), not to mention the ideology behind THG is harmful enough without being hijacked by FemTrump.
If you don't want a real life PUBG, you hate freedom.

I don't care about THG. This is a more serious matter than movies. And if the only thing you have to oppose argument on the political system are movies, then you should really attack the argument and not her person.

She has the right to express her opinion. Being an actor does not forbid you from expressing your opinions. Whether or not you find her opinions reliable or not has more to do with you than her. Oppose the arguments, do not attack the person just because of THG.

Basically, what you're doing is exactly the fundamental problem of the US...

Again. She's not the producer, director,... of THG. She's the lead actor. Plus, that has nothing to do with the subject of the video shared by @Wakko. That's whataboutism.

When I criticize Trump, I oppose his "arguments", not him. Same thing here. I don't care about your "what about THG's message". @Wakko shared a video on a very precise subject. Either oppose the argument or stop the BS because what you're trying to do here is shifting the subject.

I have a spoiler for you: this message discussed in the article? It doesn't come from THG, but from your entire education and representation of History. You've been told for decades that there are good people and bad people, that if you destroy the bad people, then everything will go alright, that if you hit the army's keystone, then, poof, everything goes better without trouble. The enemy's gate is down, Ender. Fire the proton torpedo and upload the virus into Mount Doom (movie version, not book version where the Shire still gets fucked hard afterwards by the remnants). You can win just by hitting the weak point and it'll end the war the way we all want.

Don't blame THG, rather look at your cultural products and their representation of real and imaginary conflict. The vast majority of your games, movies, series and such show conflict in this way, with the tool of destruction being the tool of empowerement.

(copied from the shitpost thread because the conversation somehow got duplicated)

That's not history, that's storytelling.
It's the same thing when most people's knowledge of History is this very same storytelling. You've been sold a way of looking at the notion of war, of conflict, that makes it look so simple: kill the bad guy and everything goes better afterwards. Achieving happiness through destruction is nowhere new in movies, and it shows a strong lack of awareness from the article's author to portray THG as something special when it ultimately is nothing more than a teenage fantasy of power and rebellion.

Haven't watched the movie, but I read the books, and I'll have to admit that I appreciated that everyone gets fucked up hard at the end, because this shit never ends nicely for anyone.

it shows a strong lack of awareness from the article's author to portray THG as something special when it ultimately is nothing more than a teenage fantasy of power and rebellion.
From what I gathered, the author was arguing against THG, not in favor of it. (Edit: and the "So yes, it isn't JUST THG, it is indeed US cultural products and their inability to ever be a reliable source of Historical information due to the fundamental misrepresentation of facts on the ground" post that was inadvertently contributing to derailment lol)

That's not history, that's storytelling.
My original point that I'd tried to make amidst a fury of being without nicotine for three hours and running out of coffee and medicine in my system simultaneously was THIS. I am socially retarded and I apologise. But the point is that people trying to make THG to be some sort of special child that has some secret encoded message for violent revolution are dangerous, and that an incredibly influential person with reach to millions of people is spreading dangerous backwards thinking borne out of a STORY not REALITY

So what you're saying is... we should take out Maduro to fix Venezuela.
That is almost the exact polar opposite of what I am saying. If you fight authoritarian violence with violence you lose and die and get a lot of innocent people needlessly killed because of your stupidity.

From what I gathered, the author was arguing against THG, not in favor of it.
Yes, while missing the entire forest for the tree, acting as if it was in any way or shape special.
You have a way with words that I do not. Its primarily the corporate media in general, but THG is just one of many examples to back up the post above. (So yes, it isn't JUST THG, it is indeed US cultural products and their inability to ever be a reliable source of Historical information due to the fundamental misrepresentation of facts on the ground indicative therein. (I.E. that the world is somehow black and white when it is primarily GRAY)
Not just cultural products, education, politics and so on. The duality between "good" and "evil" is prevalent all over your civilization, just look at the polarization there: once you've classified someone as the bad guy, there's no compromise possible until they bend the knee and accept your moral guidance. The other party must be bad because yours is good. Your political system must be good, so others are necessarly bad and to be corrected in due time. World War II is portrayed as such an issue of killing the bad guys and everything gets better with the good German and Japanese people freed from the bad people. The Revolution is portrayed as taking arms to destroy the bad things and poof, magically having good things happen, and so on, and on, until this manichean vision of the world is almost everywhere. Almost, 'cause there are some great works showing the mess, but these aren't that popular or influential over the masses.
My original point that I'd tried to make amidst a fury of being without nicotine for three hours and running out of coffee and medicine in my system simultaneously was THIS. I am socially retarded and I apologise. But the point is that people trying to make THG to be some sort of special child that has some secret encoded message for violent revolution are dangerous, and that an incredibly influential person with reach to millions of people is spreading dangerous backwards thinking borne out of a STORY not REALITY
Maybe they should look a bit further, in the place that is absolutely unthinkable for so many there: maybe some people talk about tearing the system down because the system doesn't work, no matter how perfect and divinely inspired it's supposed to be. That putting more and more duct tape on it to hide the issues isn't solving anything, rather reinforcing the perception that the system cannot be fixed.

Maybe they should look a bit further, in the place that is absolutely unthinkable for so many there: maybe some people talk about tearing the system down because the system doesn't work, no matter how perfect and divinely inspired it's supposed to be. That putting more and more duct tape on it to hide the issues isn't solving anything, rather reinforcing the perception that the system cannot be fixed.
I understand that 100%, as I used to be one of those people. The problem is I started doing research and educating myself as to what happens when people try to tear the system down through violent means.

I understand that 100%, as I used to be one of those people. The problem is I started doing research and educating myself as to what happens when people try to tear the system down through violent means.
Look also at what happens when you put the people back to the wall with an increasingly unworkable system.
We should also take out Kim Jong Un to solve the Korean war while we're at it.
So simple. So elegant.

America is really tired of solving the world's problems y'know. Perhaps we should kill who runs the world next to-

Hold on let me think about this.

We should also take out Kim Jong Un to solve the Korean war while we're at it.
Decapitation strikes only work when the target doesn't have access to H-Bombs...
I'd also be incredibly careful about even JOKING about that on the internet where people from other countries can see it and might get offended (I learned that one the hard way lol)

Maybe next time you guys will keep your serious post out of the shitposting thread and I'll keep my shitposting out of the serious thread.

No promises.
Hey the American 2020 election is live-action shitposting, so you're at least partially on topic unlike we were haha

I completely agree with you here - the Hunger Games movies are horrible, kids killing kids... but the video I've posted isn't about that, it's about explaining one of the fundamental problems of US politics - renaming corruption to lobbying and thinking that that will make it OK - and a possible (absolutely non-violent) approach to beating it. It's well argued IMO, and it isn't actually out of Jennifer's head, she's in it using her popularity to advocate the ideas of somebody else. Which I think is commendable.
Seriously, I have hoped for some discussion on what's said in the video, and I haven't even imagined that this will turn into "THG is bad."

Back
Top Bottom