What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Question Regarding Abiogenesis and De-Extinction

Mondor

The Freak
Banned
I've had this idea for a while, and while I'm certainly not a scientist of any kind (I haven't even started college yet), I've been thinking: Could recreating abiogenesis be the key to de-extinction? If we managed to discover the routes of life (Which we seem to be getting closer to), would it be possible for us to replicate what used to take millions of years in a laboratory using technology grounded in known science, and could we use this process to create replicas of life that existed long ago? Obviously, we wouldn't start with dinosaurs, that'd probably be a few hundred or thousand years down the line. But could we perhaps start to gradually create more and more complex life, starting with micro-organisms and then moving onto more primitive macroscopic organisms, such as those found in the Cambrian Period?

Thank you for reading.

they wont be the extinct creature but one with similar morphology at best

Which, at least in my opinion anyways, is good enough IMO; hence why I used the word "Replicas" in the OP.

I've had this idea for a while, and while I'm certainly not a scientist of any kind (I haven't even started college yet), I've been thinking: Could recreating abiogenesis be the key to de-extinction? If we managed to discover the routes of life (Which we seem to be getting closer to), would it be possible for us to replicate what used to take millions of years in a laboratory using technology grounded in known science, and could we use this process to create replicas of life that existed long ago? Obviously, we wouldn't start with dinosaurs, that'd probably be a few hundred or thousand years down the line. But could we perhaps start to gradually create more and more complex life, starting with micro-organisms and then moving onto more primitive macroscopic organisms, such as those found in the Cambrian Period?

Thank you for reading.
If we can do the latter steps, then we don't need to do the former.

Just use existing life forms.

with ICE AGE STUFF environments we decided we need are shrinking due to necessary life form no longer being extant,... would be the reasonable answer

Last edited:
with ICE AGE STUFF environments we decided we need are shrinking due to necessary life form no longer being extant,... would be the reasonable answer

Start with what lifeform you are suddenly needing due to being in a glaciation era, and why you need it.

Start with what lifeform you are suddenly needing due to being in a glaciation era, and why you need it.
it's not my thread an as Mondor is currently banned I'm not sure what their goal was but the idea I postulated for the question you asked was using mammoths to regrow tundra by letting them do their thing of tearing up trees in near frozen soil to increase the the albedo at higher latitudes. it's not efficient or cost effective but it is something you could do by tinkering a life into existence like an extinct one

And were done talking and I'm moving on with my day bye

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom