What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primaries Thread

Heh. That would certainly boost the sites growth.

Like how do they not know his name. It just boggles the mind.
Partially because there are literally 'democrats in name only' in the democrats. The Hawaiian Dem in the race is one such character, as a Republican can't literally get elected there. Partially because not everyone follows geopolitics much (which is why we've got the current situation geopolitically, the people don't understand the relationships between their lives, geopolitical policy, and geopolitics in general).

Hey I know his name. AMLO (Andrés Manuel López Obrador) :p But yeah if your running for president you should know the name of your major neighbors leader.

I dont...weirdly I know the leaders of most of the countries south of it (el salvador, honduras, Nicaragua, Belize, Don't know Costa Rica, I do know Panama's)

Holy shit, this debate is amazing.

• Warren is fighting a cold by lighting everyone on fire to keep herself warm.
  • Bloomberg has been shredded by everyone before putting out a half-assed excuse
  • Bernie finally recused his troll army, swears that he totally will get a physical and release the records (audience groans)
  • Warren's plan for everything is kicked into high gear and she eviscerated every other health care proposal
  • Blooms waffles on releasing tax returns, uses the same excuse of "it takes time" despite his intention of running being long established; defends his company policy on sexual harassment while doing no favors for himself in regard to all of the complaints against him over the years
  • God, Pete's healthcare plan is so fucking awful that you wonder why he even bothers to mention it
  • Amy's best comment of the night has been a weak-ass comment that her state held the inventor of the Post-it Note after Liz says that her health care plan could fit on it "it was two paragraphs"
  • Pete has been positively tepid, the best he can come up with is calling Bloomy a Republican (while his own health care plan is basically to stick to Trumpcare)

to be continued

• Amy totes knew about the Mexican president's name, she just collapsed under mild questioning and plum forgot
  • Mike says that the confidentiality agreements with sexual abuse accusers is mutual silence, refuses to say that he will release the women from those agreements
  • Liz rips Mike another asshole with "I hope you heard what his defense was, I've been nice to some women."

Aaaaaand time for a break.

I like Warren before, but I love her tonight. No one can touch her and everyone else is getting absolutely destroyed.

• Bernie defends his position on a fracking ban, sure to lose him states he needs to win, by blah blah have to act now no matter the hardships; what an embarrassment
  • OK, now things are getting boring
  • Never mind, now Mike is back to defending racist policies; he's done, pushed into a deep hole and cannot pull himself out
  • Mike on billionaires in general being a good thing considering inequality is basically "I give away some of mine, everything is good"; still not helping himself
  • Biden gets in a hit

EDIT:
  • Mike gets the first real hit in the debate when Bernie rants about the wealthy; Bernie will not end capitalism, he owns three houses, and has recently crossed the billion dollar worth mark (which is false or a misstatement; it's in the ballpark of 2.5 million)
EDIT2:
  • I found a clip, and he did say millionaire

Last edited:
the best part was watching the moderaters try and fail to restrain Warren, Sanders, and Biden all bodying Bloomberg.

I've violated my policy of not giving a **** about the debates and watched the last one. It was sooo painful watching Bloomberg, that guy belongs in a comfy retirement, not on a stage.

Last edited:
If you find a subbed version, you'll feel the same pain watching the Macron/Le Pen debate of 2017.

Which ones Bloomberg and which one is Warren?

Which ones Bloomberg and which one is Warren?
Macron is Warren. Or better said he's "all but Bloomberg" because it wasn't just Warren who has demolished Bloomberg, while he just stood there with a slight smile, apparently trying to wake up and say something back. It was clear that the debate's speed is waaay too much for him, poor billionaire WASP.

Bloomberg, Trump and the like are akin to Le Pen, utterly unaware of the dossiers required for the job they want. For an equivalent to Macron? Obama. Yeah, the others are a lot of posturing, just a little less incompetent than Bloomberg. Though in the case of that debate, they share his position in the role of slaughtering the idiot.

So, @Lerticus, is it still amateur hour when it comes to debates?
For some people.

Some actually answered the questions and put forward why their proposals were better than the rest. Others went "wait, you were talking to me!? Answer? Uh... yes, I have an answer here somewhere..." only to be thrown out of the ring because they acted too slow.

In past debates it was mostly everyone saying that they wanted the same thing and that they would do it in a way that was barely distinguishable from everyone else. Now that a lot of people have dropped out there are more solid lines of demarcation. It went from pathetic to actually being a competition.

I only hope that Mike's feeling didn't get hurt so bad that he doesn't go back on his word to fund an ad campaign, because his ads so far have worked amazingly to undermine Trumpy. The guy got as far as "hello" before getting knocked to the ground and beaten though, so he might not like how easily he was dismissed as being an alternative.

Bernie has been contacted by the US intelligence services about possible/likely attempts by Russia to meddle with his campaign.

Washington Post said:
U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.
President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill also have been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, those people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.
It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders's campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

"I don't care, frankly, who [Russian President Vladimir] Putin wants to be president," Sanders said in a statement. "My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.

"In 2016, Russia used Internet propaganda to sow division in our country, and my understanding is that they are doing it again in 2020. Some of the ugly stuff on the Internet attributed to our campaign may well not be coming from real supporters."

U.S.Cybercom contemplates information warfare to counter Russian interference in 2020 election

The disclosure of Russian assistance to Sanders follows a briefing to lawmakers last week in which a senior intelligence official said that Russia wants to see Trump reelected, viewing his administration as more favorable to the Kremlin's interests, according to people who were briefed on the comments.

In that closed hearing for the House Intelligence Committee, lawmakers were also told that Sanders had been informed about Russia's interference. The prospect of two rival campaigns both receiving help from Moscow appears to reflect what intelligence officials have previously described as Russia's broader interest in sowing division in the United States and uncertainty about the validity of American elections.
More in the link.

aaaaand Bernie takes Vermont with nearly 45% of the vote.

The guy has been pulling his own Trumpy the entire time. Concealing medical records, not (mildly) disavowing his troll army until it became absolutely necessary, knowing about and concealing that he is getting Russian support, turning the entire election about himself while ranting at the media and the Democratic Party establishment (which he only joins with whenever it suits his agenda), etc. And the public is fucking falling for it, just like four years ago.

The guy even admits that he can't pass his own agenda, and he threatens every inroad that the party made two years ago while blocking any chance of flipping any purple-leaning states and ridings. It is all fucking unicorns and rainbows, and people are lining up to support his ineffectual angry old narcissistic ass.

Already said that I expected the Democrats to find a way fuck it all up and hand the incredibly unpopular Trumpy four more years to destroy the nation, and they are following the plan right on schedule. Idiots.

Im still not convinced I should act so affronted by russian inteference.

I want it to fuck off and drown in in piss.

but I dont think I want to pretend as if im shocked by it.

I mean America cant exactly throw stones really anywhere especially at russia for interferring in another's election especially russia considering they interferred in a rather important election.

Well, if you don't want Michael Bloomberg, you must be a RUSSIAN BOT!

It's amazing. It's exactly the same pattern.

Some dude in an intelligence agency makes a claim to the media, or leaks something to the media, obviously timed to coincide with some political event. Media give as wide exposure to this claim or leak as possible. Totally uncritically and incurious as to the basis for the claim, or the reason for the leak.

Personally I would be wondering about who is making these unsourced claims, and who is leaking this stuff. That sounds like a big story to me. Because they're obviously trying to interfere in the political process.

I like this NY Times bit:
The Russians have been preparing — and experimenting — for the 2020 election, undeterred by American efforts to thwart them but aware that they needed a new playbook of as-yet-undetectable methods, United States officials said.
The Russians are so clever and effective that we cannot detect them yet, but rest assured that they're there. 🤷‍♀️

I actually have trouble imagining what the Russians could hypothetically be doing that's more effective at undermining legitimacy and confidence in the American democratic process than having one of the leading candidates being de facto attacked as a foreign puppet out of a huge chunk of American media outlets simultaneously right before the election.

Wait... could that possibly mean that the Russians are the ones leaking that this stuff and making these unsourced claims to US media? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom