What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 United States Midterm

I do agree much of left behavior can be intolerable when it comes to debating. The same can go for the right. Proper debate is needed for civil society.
That you think supporting a Fascist is compatible with a civil society is telling, Lib.

That's the party you support, you do not get to isolate yourself from the policies they advance. We can use your Orange Mussolini's attacks on protections for transgender youths in schools or active service members if you like, it doesn't change a thing. You were never interested in tolerance or civility.
Actually, I am not a member of ANY political party. Never have been, don't plan on it. I vote for the one I agree the most with, party is secondary, even tertiary.

Here's the thing, this level of partisanship is actually very dangerous for our democracy. So unless you want to go like Caesar and cross the Rubicon... and igniting a civil war that would sunder much in the process.

See, here's the thing.

Democrats taking the high ground when the republicans are romping around in the mud doesn't save your democracy. It ends with a demagogue in the white house, and a opposition party very few people give a shit about because it spends more time taking the high ground than actually being effective.

Obamas legacy is gone, every partial good promised by the democrats as necessary small steps rather than large ones rocking the boat have been smashed by a party willing to play dirty.

Taking the high road is surrender.

Civility is for civil people, not fascist scum, he's Fascist Trash.

And he voted for a Fascist because he has the values of a Fascist, he's a Fascist.
I've given you a number of chances. Your response has been to flame and abuse other users and ignored my directives repeatedly. Take a three day ban and please be civil upon your return.

I do agree that the Democrats might have to play dirty because Mitch McConnell and his ilk don't seem to care about the polarizing political environment they've created. In order to fix this, responsible Democrats must be placed in positions of power and establishing the proper electoral reforms to discourage polarization in our nation's politics.

Well, if Dems are going to make gains, they need something to run on more meaningful than an endless mantra of "TRUMP SUCKS!!!!" They need to present a cogent, rational plan to voters, what it will take and how much it will cost, and then let people decide. The constant hysterical shrieking of some just turns potential voters away.

Well, if Dems are going to make gains, they need something to run on more meaningful than an endless mantra of "TRUMP SUCKS!!!!" They need to present a cogent, rational plan to voters, what it will take and how much it will cost, and then let people decide. The constant hysterical shrieking of some just turns potential voters away.
Democrats are taking a stronger pro-immigrant stance and that inevitably clashes with Trump. So it makes sense for them criticize Trump's actions and use it encourage potential voters for the Democratic Party.

But in a cogent and rational fashion. Shrieking about concentration camps and baby killing is NOT rational and calm.

But in a cogent and rational fashion. Shrieking about concentration camps and baby killing is NOT rational and calm.
I agree. However, I do think Democrats have potential policy ideas that can appeal to their potential voters. Democrats have several ideas for healthcare. Democrats support LGBTQ rights. There is a growing anti-ICE attitude they could take advantage of if they decided to focus on immigration reform. Lastly, there is the decriminalization of drugs that the Democrats are currently debating on but seem to generally agree with.

I do agree that the Democrats might have to play dirty because Mitch McConnell and his ilk don't seem to care about the polarizing political environment they've created. In order to fix this, responsible Democrats must be placed in positions of power and establishing the proper electoral reforms to discourage polarization in our nation's politics.
A lot of the required reforms would require constitutional amendments... and no the moment you disband the electoral college you'll have it back faster than you can say 'oh bugger'. I saw this video on youtube about disbanding the electoral college and the second half is pretty much 'the disbandment won't last more than a decade'... been ages though since I last saw it...
Democrats are taking a stronger pro-immigrant stance and that inevitably clashes with Trump. So it makes sense for them criticize Trump's actions and use it encourage potential voters for the Democratic Party.
Not only that but a lot of businesses are siding with the Dems because Trump and co are hurting their bottom line one way or another...

Found the video in question! Thank god for Youtube's 'search history' function!

Basically, big cities are more efficient for money-to-vote effectiveness, anyplace smaller is ignored. So NYC and LA would get politicians to go there and hold rallies and generally inspire metro-people to go out and vote. So if it disbanded... basically politically volatile is the word.

Last edited:
A lot of the required reforms would require constitutional amendments... and no the moment you disband the electoral college you'll have it back faster than you can say 'oh bugger'. I saw this video on youtube about disbanding the electoral college and the second half is pretty much 'the disbandment won't last more than a decade'... been ages though since I last saw it...
Democrats could do the necessary reforms in their states. Ranked-choice voting, independent/bipartisan redistricting commissions, all-mail voting, automatic voter registration, voter pre-registration, felon voting rights, and 17-year-olds voting in primaries are potential reforms that could force political parties to broaden their platforms and be more civil in their behavior.
Not only that but a lot of businesses are siding with the Dems because Trump and co are hurting their bottom line one way or another...
Free Trade Good or Bad? Trump's Amazing Impact on Republicans and Democrats

Trump's actions have encouraged the Democratic Party to become supportive of free trade.

Democrats could do the necessary reforms in their states. Ranked-choice voting, independent/bipartisan redistricting commissions, all-mail voting, automatic voter registration, voter pre-registration, felon voting rights, and 17-year-olds voting in primaries are potential reforms that could force political parties to broaden their platforms and be more civil in their behavior.
The GOP ended that after Reagan and the creation of FOX News and only got worse from the '90s onward.
Free Trade Good or Bad? Trump's Amazing Impact on Republicans and Democrats

Trump's actions have encouraged the Democratic Party to become supportive of free trade.
Yeah, but at the cost of alienating the blue collars.

The GOP ended that after Reagan and the creation of FOX News and only got worse from the '90s onward.
We have to try. The people of Maine sure put a lot of work to get ranked-choice voting implemented in their state.
Yeah, but at the cost of alienating the blue collars.
Not all blue collars are against free trade and most of their job losses is from automation.

We have to try. The people of Maine sure put a lot of work to get ranked-choice voting implemented in their state.
They have to take into account of state level GOP as well... which is why Euros tend to complain that our politics are a mess...
Not all blue collars are against free trade and most of their job losses is from automation.
Yeah, in reality it might be because of automation and outsourcing before that, but there is enough of them that think otherwise.

... and that doesn't include the possibility of the GRU doing their shenanigans again.

They have to take into account of state level GOP as well... which is why Euros tend to complain that our politics are a mess...
Yeah, Mainers had to put up a strong fight. Now, they are going to have to vote for candidates who support ranked-choice voting to really get every Maine election done through ranked-choice voting.

Euros can complain about American federalism all they want, but it has its positives.
Yeah, in reality it might be because of automation and outsourcing before that, but there is enough of them that think otherwise.

... and that doesn't include the possibility of the GRU doing their shenanigans again.
Then compromise is probably going to have to happen between the people who support free trade and those concerned for blue collar workers.

Then compromise is probably going to have to happen between the people who support free trade and those concerned for blue collar workers.
Problem, the GOP effectively removed that aspect in their tribal rage against Obama and bubbling a significant portion of the blue-collars into the FOX News bubble.

So should the Democrats focus on minorities and those who pursued further education?
They'll have to given that the GOP backed them into that corner by not calling FOX News out for what it was and allowing decades of this sort of bullshit festering.

I wouldn't be surprised that Mattis is working with the US military, the US IC, and the US DoJ in case some crazy ass plan from the cold war has to be implemented due to the overall situation.

They'll have to given that the GOP backed them into that corner by not calling FOX News out for what it was and allowing decades of this sort of bullshit festering.
I don't know how long FOX could live if it continues to rely on old white people to stay relevant.
I wouldn't be surprised that Mattis is working with the US military, the US IC, and the US DoJ in case some crazy ass plan from the cold war has to be implemented due to the overall situation.
With Russia messing around and a potential scenario that the Millennial and Z generations are becoming quite anti-Russia, a second Cold War would not surprise me. I don't think a real foreign war or a second American Civil War will happen though. Might be interesting to see how a growing anti-Russian attitude would affect American politics. Perhaps we might see it as early as the 2018 midterm.

I don't know how long FOX could live if it continues to rely on old white people to stay relevant.
It's not just 'rely on old white people to stay relevant', they're a propaganda machine pure and simple and any locale without a viable alternative station (in great swathes of GOP country, the only radio and TV stations are FOX News affiliated at best) is in a practically impenetrable media bubble where the delusions are reinforced.
With Russia messing around and a potential scenario that the Millennial and Z generations are becoming quite anti-Russia, a second Cold War would not surprise me. Might be interesting to see how a growing anti-Russian attitude would affect American politics. Perhaps we might see it as early as the 2018 midterm.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised that Millennial and Z generations start copying Rome and say 'Russia Delena Est' at the end of each congressional session before -eventually- doing that exact thing and annihilating Russia's crumbling military before deciding it's final fate.

... which is probably either going to be a Morgenthau Plan (i.e. take/destroy every piece of industry that can feed into a military machine) but even harsher with population decentralization, Russia being carved up into micro-states, and probably have nuclear failsafes (maybe satellites waiting in orbit to throw enough nukes to annihilate every Russian city with atomic fire or worse) to annihilate anyone who gets the brilliant idea to unite and become a power again... or simply turning that generation of Russians into the last generation by forced sterilization.

Remember, the US historically doesn't react well to any -in it's eyes- significant slight. It has this tendency to become rather enraged and tries to annihilate whatever did that slight...
I don't think a real foreign war or a second American Civil War will happen though.
Here's the thing, the US IC, DoJ, and military probably have this exact scenario on file somewhere and they've dug out the folder with the plans... and they're probably turning white at the very idea that they have to implement it.

Honestly the problem with polls refarding Trump is that almost everyone who supports him knows that it's wrong and evil to do so, so they won't answer truthfully if someone asks them. That's what happened last time too.

A long, hot summer of building support to grant felons the right to vote
The fate of about 1.4 million people will be at stake in November as Florida voters decide whether most convicted felons should have the right to vote.

With the election less than four months away, supporters are organizing a statewide campaign to win voter approval of Amendment 4, which got on the ballot after an effective grass-roots organizing effort that lasted for several years.

But passage is far from assured in a deep purple and closely-divided state where midterm or non-presidential elections typically draw low turnouts, where President Donald J. Trump remains popular, and where some voters may simply be turned off by a fatigue-inducing list of 13 ballot questions.
Grass Roots are trying to restore voting rights to felons in Florida.

Found the video in question! Thank god for Youtube's 'search history' function!

Basically, big cities are more efficient for money-to-vote effectiveness, anyplace smaller is ignored. So NYC and LA would get politicians to go there and hold rallies and generally inspire metro-people to go out and vote. So if it disbanded... basically politically volatile is the word.

Which is why it was established in the first place. At the time, 1787, PA and NY and VA would have decided every election, having the heaviest population. The rest of the country would have been left out, every time. The Electoral College insures that even small states can have a strong voice in Presidential politics. Thank God we have it.

I agree. However, I do think Democrats have potential policy ideas that can appeal to their potential voters. Democrats have several ideas for healthcare. Democrats support LGBTQ rights. There is a growing anti-ICE attitude they could take advantage of if they decided to focus on immigration reform. Lastly, there is the decriminalization of drugs that the Democrats are currently debating on but seem to generally agree with.
Well, if they keep it calm, and civil and treating their opponents with tolerance like fellow Americans, then they may do well, this Fall.

Back
Top Bottom